Baritone issues

kaizersoza

Reaction score
Hi guys

My baritone uke just don't sound right its a Brunswick Blonde Maple fitted with Aquila strings, I thought Bari's were supposed to be tuned DGBE when its tuned like this the strings sound really flat and bassy almost lifeless, so I tried it at GCEA and when its tuned to GCEA it makes a thunking sound on every chord I play as if the strings are too tight, I recently watched Eugene play a Dylan song on his bari and the strings sounded one hell of a lot better than the sound mine is producing, can anyone throw any light on this or is it just me needing to adjust to the different tuning of a baritone

thanx guys

kaizer

Don't know about shipping rates, but Southcoast strings may be the way to go. If you can't call, email them and see what they recommend. Most brands of baritone strings are not "optimal" for a baritone. Linear strings tend to work better because each string in their set is the proper diameter, tension, etc. for that strings performance in a baritone scale....not just some generic strings cut to length. Of course a lot depends on how you want it to sound, but Southcoast usually has the solution.

Aloha Kaiser,
Better to have GCEA strings for GCEA tuning ... and Eugene ukulele drops tunes his uke for a richer bassy sound....it's less tension so the strings resonate better...you have to tune to pitch man and you have to get used to the looser strings...listen for the my dog has flea...re entrient tuning

Last edited:
Top Bottom