Bohemian Rhapsody

Barry Barmcake

Reaction score
Here at last - my version of Bohemian Rhapsody on ukulele - took me absolutely bloody ages to learn this... excuse me cheating on some of the solo bits! :D

Great job! I reckon in Lancashire "poor" must be spelled "pooooooooooo-where" or some such.
My wife did a Junior Year Abroad program in college at the University of Lancashire back in '86, and I flew over to visit her that Christmas. I flew into Manchester and took the train up to Lancaster. I had never been out of the U.S. before, and I remember thinking "It's England, it won't really be like being in a foreign country at all... I speak English... THEY speak English... I grew up watching Monty Python.... no sweat, it'll be EASY!" Yeah, RIGHT! I still have no idea what the bus driver said to me when I got on the bus from the airport to the train station. If someone at the airport hadn't told me which coin to use and which stop to get off at, I would STILL be on that bus, like the bloody Flying Dutchman! It did get easier after a few days, but we didn't stay in any one place long enough to really catch on to the accents... a day in Lancaster, a couple days in Edinburgh, a few days in The Lake District, and then south to Bath and on to Kent. I've been back to the UK a couple of times since then, but not to the north again. I hope to make it over again someday!
Cheers!

Great job! I reckon in Lancashire "poor" must be spelled "pooooooooooo-where" or some such.
My wife did a Junior Year Abroad program in college at the University of Lancashire back in '86, and I flew over to visit her that Christmas. I flew into Manchester and took the train up to Lancaster. I had never been out of the U.S. before, and I remember thinking "It's England, it won't really be like being in a foreign country at all... I speak English... THEY speak English... I grew up watching Monty Python.... no sweat, it'll be EASY!" Yeah, RIGHT! I still have no idea what the bus driver said to me when I got on the bus from the airport to the train station. If someone at the airport hadn't told me which coin to use and which stop to get off at, I would STILL be on that bus, like the bloody Flying Dutchman! It did get easier after a few days, but we didn't stay in any one place long enough to really catch on to the accents... a day in Lancaster, a couple days in Edinburgh, a few days in The Lake District, and then south to Bath and on to Kent. I've been back to the UK a couple of times since then, but not to the north again. I hope to make it over again someday!
Cheers!

lol, thanks muchly Chris - and if you need ANY of it translating, let me know.

How you must've struggled here! :D Accents and dialects are SO varied... even here in Wigan, I use expressions that people in nearby towns would struggle with, and vice-versa, so for someone from the U.S. to even understand a half of what I say is a bloody miracle! :D

In fact, I had a lAn Australian lady on Facebook make the following remark on this -

"Not sure what to make of this fella- sort of George Formby meets Queen meets Wallace & Grommit!..."

Now that's priceless - what a comparison! Love it! :D

Top Bottom