So what's the problem with HALLELUJAH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Something has been bugging me for a while.

My question is this. Why is it that no-one seems to listen to Leonard Cohen's version of his song Hallelujah before recording it on the ukulele? After all, he wrote it.

But every ukulele cover I have heard on YouTube seems to be based on someone else's version. And as pretty much everyone in the music industry seems to have recorded it, listening to one of these, often more popular versions, is not a problem.

For what it is worth, it is my opinion that none of these professional covers even come close to the power, humour and sheer joy of Cohen's original. For instance, they all sing the chorus an octave too low, and in that mamby-pamby, mard-arsed way that absolutely drips with imitation sincerity. For goodness sake, "Hallelujah" means "Praise the Lord". It surely should be sung in the loud, triumphant, declamatory style that Cohen uses.

Anyway, what I am asking is: why does everyone choose to do covers of these ghastly professional covers, instead of basing their recording on the original?

Hopefully this will initiate a bit of a discussion and maybe the thread won't be terminated.

Please post your versions, past and present, on this thread. If you all do, it will be a very long discussion.

Apologies, everyone. Occasionally, things niggle me and it is sometimes good to provoke a healthy argument (sorry, I may mean "debate").

Last edited:
It's obvious Ken that the lyrical content is completely misunderstood by many an interpreter of this magnificent song. I cite Ms Alexandra Burke (X Factor test tube baby). Albeit Ms Burke recorded the song under Mr Simon Cowpat's instructions it was turned into one of those aweful Mariah Carey, wobble your lower jaw and wail like a tone deaf wombat trying to find the note they can't reach straight away modern "anthems".

As always Ken, you're right.

I think it's kind of the same reason most everyone bases their cover of All Along the Watchtower on Jimi Hendrix's version rather than the Bob Dylan original: Jeff Buckley's cover of Hallelujah is simply more popular and more widely heard.

It's obvious Ken that the lyrical content is completely misunderstood by many an interpreter of this magnificent song. I cite Ms Alexandra Burke (X Factor test tube baby). Albeit Ms Burke recorded the song under Mr Simon Cowpat's instructions it was turned into one of those aweful Mariah Carey, wobble your lower jaw and wail like a tone deaf wombat trying to find the note they can't reach straight away modern "anthems".

As always Ken, you're right.

I wish I was always right. Sadly, I'm not.

I do agree about these "wobble your jaw", in pain talent contests. I have heard it sung a couple of times. I believe that this sort of recording should only be listened to under strict medical supervision, and only then as an emetic.

Interesting thread Ken. But I actually prefer Jeff Buckley's somewhat haunting version of Leonard's great song. But to each his own.

Just like everything else in this world, not everyone likes or enjoys the same things...

Another example is, Iz's version of "Over the Rainbow" which is played and recorded more on the ukulele than the original version by Harold Arlen which Jake composed his rendition off of and played beautifully on his new album.

Ken, I know you don't care for Jake Shimabukuro's style of playing for whatever reason but, maybe there should be another thread titled, "Why do many musicians dislike other popular musicians?"... :confused:

Last edited:
The only Cohen version I've hear had a choir backing him. It was amazing.

That being said, the one k.d. lang recording I have heard is one of the most sensual recordings I've ever heard, period. of course, I'm one of those folks who think that she could sing the periodical table, and it would send shivers up and down my spine.

Buckley's recording is OK. So is Wainright's. But Cohen and lang - at least an octave apart, if not more - have something in their performances that I don't get from others.

-Kurt

Leonard Cohen has a lot in common with singer/songwriters like Dylan, Steve Earle, Kris Kristofferson, Townes Van Zandt, Neil Young and others: they are songwriters of staggering talent with tremendous catalogues of incredible music but their singing voices and musical arrangements can be an acquired taste.

But like good coffee, great scotch or dry wine, once you acquire the taste everything else seems watered-down, saccarine and unsatisfying.

Something has been bugging me for a while.

My question is this. Why is it that no-one seems to listen to Leonard Cohen's version of his song Hallelujah before recording it on the ukulele? After all, he wrote it.

But every ukulele cover I have heard on YouTube seems to be based on someone else's version. And as pretty much everyone in the music industry seems to have recorded it, listening to one of these, often more popular versions, is not a problem.

For what it is worth, it is my opinion that none of these professional covers even come close to the power, humour and sheer joy of Cohen's original. For instance, they all sing the chorus an octave too low, and in that mamby-pamby, mard-arsed way that absolutely drips with imitation sincerity. For goodness sake, "Hallelujah" means "Praise the Lord". It surely should be sung in the loud, triumphant, declamatory style that Cohen uses.

Anyway, what I am asking is: why does everyone choose to do covers of these ghastly professional covers, instead of basing their recording on the original?

Hopefully this will initiate a bit of a discussion and maybe the thread won't be terminated.

Please post your versions, past and present, on this thread. If you all do, it will be a very long discussion.

Apologies, everyone. Occasionally, things niggle me and it is sometimes good to provoke a healthy argument (sorry, I may mean "debate").

Well, let's discuss this as art. Art and spirituality are personal things and in some ways the same thing to most artists. At least those that are creating from the deeper parts of their souls. Cohen wrote a great song and he performs it the way he envisioned it. I think it's a great tribute to him that so many artists want to cover his song. As far as insincerity is concerned, I guess you can judge whether an artist is sincere or not, and you can decide to not listen to them too.

I prefer Jeff Buckley's version of this song. He was a troubled soul and I never doubted his sincerity in any of his music. His version of Hallelujah speaks to me, and while I love Cohen's music, his doesn't do that quite as much. But, that's me.

those awful Mariah Carey, wobble your lower jaw and wail like a tone deaf wombat trying to find the note they can't reach straight away modern "anthems"

Now I know what to call that style of ... well, "singing," I guess.

Slightly off topic, maybe (and unique to one country? maybe not) but it always drives me nuts to hear a singer try to make the (USA) national anthem "their own." And of course, they do so by adding EVEN MORE warbles, ungainly pauses and pointless scale runs than the last person to mangle the song.
It's "land of the free," not "LLLLLaaaaaAAAaaAaAaaaaandDDDD of the FFRRrrrEEEEeeEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."
Just sing the bloody notes, already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom