PDA

View Full Version : Kanilea K1 Tenor

The Big Kahuna
10-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Utterly mental looking Koa, gloss finish. $ 1100 inc case at Scotty's in Kalaheo.

Should I snatch his hand off ?

consitter
10-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Utterly mental looking Koa, gloss finish. $ 1100 inc case at Scotty's in Kalaheo.

Should I snatch his hand off ?

Abso-freakin-lutely!! And Scotty's is a pleasure to deal with. I was there last month. Wish I could be there again!

Trinimon
10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Not too shabby a price, certainly better than what you'd pay for 'em in the UK. The regular K1 (UV finish) tenors go for $899 at Hilo Guitars & Ukulele.

kalmario
10-11-2012, 06:04 PM
any chance of photo's?

The Big Kahuna
10-11-2012, 09:52 PM
any chance of photo's?

Maybe after I've bought one!

Seriously though, Mrs Kahuna has given me the go-ahead on one, and they're damn pretty.

Any reason NOT to pull the trigger on one ?

Dan Uke
10-11-2012, 09:54 PM
you should play as many difft brands and see which one you like best

guitharsis
10-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Kanile'a ukes are gorgeous and sound great. No reason not to pull the trigger on one. Yes, play as many brands as you can and pick the one you like the best. Have fun on your vacation.

consitter
10-12-2012, 12:24 AM

Seriously though, Mrs Kahuna has given me the go-ahead on one, and they're damn pretty.

If the wife says go, you better go!

UkuEroll
10-12-2012, 02:25 AM
I can't imagine what it would be like to be able to actually get to see and play so many Hawaiian Ukes, bet your like a kid in a sweet shop! In my opinion Kanile'a Ukes are pretty dam good, I have a KT1 but would love to have one of the high end ones with all that sexy Curley Koa, I know looks don't make them sound any better but man they look so so good!

bazmaz
10-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Superb ukes - you will have no regrets at all.

Skottoman
10-12-2012, 05:26 AM
I bought one there at Scotty's in May. Kanilea K1 Tenor with mega awesome koa!

In fact when I was there, I may have tried that one out, as there was a new shipment, and about 3 to choose from. Once you play it, you'll understand the awesome resonance these ukes have.

Buy it. We paid about the same price for mine. I do not regret it AT ALL! It is an awesome uke.

Here is a photo of mine on the beach in Poipu. Please post one of yours after you buy it! :)
Cheers,
Skottoman

http://www.baileymusic.com/ukulele/kanilea_2.jpg

molokinirum
10-12-2012, 05:52 AM

Do it man!!!!!! You know you want to.... and the Mrs. has given the green light, WOW

peaceweaver3
10-12-2012, 05:59 AM
If you really have to analyze it, it's not the right thing, right now. But if the feeling is really "Wow, yeah it's mine already," then that's the feeling to have and this is the thing to do. So, for yourself, which is it?

Plainsong
10-12-2012, 06:10 AM
I'd try to play as many tenors as you can, but if you know this is the one, then you already know the answer. :) I'm not seeing a downside to my k1 superconcert...

kauaijim
10-12-2012, 06:56 AM
You won't get a better price for a new one. Since you're headed back to England make sure you get the wood case not just the hard foam one. Kanilea ukes are the best looking of the K's.

Coconut Willie
10-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Oh he** yes you should buy it!!!

wickedwahine11
10-12-2012, 07:51 AM
I would absolutely grab it. BUY IT! :) And be sure to post some pics for us when you do.

And if you do decide to buy it, try some Living Water strings on it when you get home. I have found they are wonderful on my Kanilea, they seem to be a great match for that brand of uke.

The Big Kahuna
10-12-2012, 08:10 AM
It looks almost identical to the one Skottoman posted a picture of. Is that a Premium or Deluxe ?

Skottoman
10-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Mine is a K-1 Premium... I'm sure that's what you're looking at..

I think you'll kick yourself if you don't buy it, and get all the way back to England.
Taking it home will be the best momento you could have! Toss a pinch of sand it it from the beach while you're at it. :)

Cheers,
Skottoman

Trinimon
10-12-2012, 10:58 AM
K1 Premium with case at that price? I thought it was just a regular K1. Hand over the CC and take that sucker home!

fabioponta
10-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Friend, Let tell me my kanilea tenor history:
I was no tenor uke since last 2 weeks, when I sold my koaloha tenor. I have not played much the koaloaha tenor: It was a good amazing sound, but I had not found a feeling... I've had here at home the 3 k brands last year, but I sold the kanilea sound monster and the Kamaka HT-3 and got the trio koaloha (soprano, concert and tenor). In fact, the Kanilea SM was my favorite (satin finish feelinng and TRU ressonance), even more to play the songs of Jake Shimabukuro.
Tree days ago, a ukulele friend asked me if I did not accept change my kiwaya KTS-4 by kanilea SM I sold him. I play more my koaloha soprano, and I did not think twice and grabbed the back kanilea. Now I'm so happy!

Skinny Money McGee
10-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I bought one there at Scotty's in May. Kanilea K1 Tenor with mega awesome koa!

In fact when I was there, I may have tried that one out, as there was a new shipment, and about 3 to choose from. Once you play it, you'll understand the awesome resonance these ukes have.

Buy it. We paid about the same price for mine. I do not regret it AT ALL! It is an awesome uke.

Here is a photo of mine on the beach in Poipu. Please post one of yours after you buy it! :)
Cheers,
Skottoman

http://www.baileymusic.com/ukulele/kanilea_2.jpg

That has got to be one of the most beautiful uke pictures I've ever seen. Can I PM you with my email address to send me the full size. Perfect wallpaper on my computer!!

The Big Kahuna
10-12-2012, 04:21 PM
You won't get a better price for a new one. Since you're headed back to England make sure you get the wood case not just the hard foam one. Kanilea ukes are the best looking of the K's.

Off to Scotty's tomorrow. The hard foam case seemed pretty tough to me, are they not so solid ?

Also, I'm going to try & twist his arm into throwing in a set of strings for free. What do Kanileas come with, and what would people recommend for re-entrant ? I think the Fender is going to be my Low G Uke'

Trinimon
10-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Haha, awesome! They come stock with Aquilas but I personally don't think they sound and feel good with them but that's just a personal preference. My nephew had Worth Clears and they sounded/felt a lot better. Then he started doing more picking and tried D'addario ProArte J71 (Jake's strings) and they sounded good too but I wasn't a fan of the tension. I'd recommend some Living Water strings or possibly Fremont Blacks. But again, it's my personal preference.

Looking forward to seeing the pics! :)

Off to Scotty's tomorrow. The hard foam case seemed pretty tough to me, are they not so solid ?

Also, I'm going to try & twist his arm into throwing in a set of strings for free. What do Kanileas come with, and what would people recommend for re-entrant ? I think the Fender is going to be my Low G Uke'

Plainsong
10-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Didn't MGM say a while back that they switched to D'addario Nyltechs? If you don't dig the nyltechs, then t2s and never look back! Then you can mod it later on by getting bridge pins of your choice.

Skottoman
10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Mine came with aquilas, and while I enjoy them, I can tell it will sound better with some Worth Clears. I bought some, and have them to install a little later on...

I did get another free set of strings from Scotty's with my K-1 Premium, and a hard case. I paid the same as you, and can't wait to see your photos!
Perhaps I will recognize it because I played quite a few when I was there. I've purchased 2 ukes from Scotty's over the past 2 years, and don't regret either one.

Congrats on the one you choose!
Cheers,
Skottoman

sukie
10-12-2012, 05:19 PM
It looks almost identical to the one Skottoman posted a picture of. Is that a Premium or Deluxe ?
Well then, buy it. his is beautiful. Nice souvenir.

Doc_J
10-12-2012, 06:12 PM

Actually the Aquilas sound pretty good on some Kanileas, the Nyltechs are more articulate, but slightly warmer (duller/softer). I also like Worth Clears on them.

guitharsis
10-12-2012, 11:43 PM

Purchased my Kanile'a K1 Concert Premium in May around the same time Skottoman got his tenor. Got it at Bernunzio's in Rochester NY www.bernunzio.com and also got a really good deal. The foam case that it came with was nice but I decided right then and there to switch to a hard wood case. The uke is gorgeous and sounds great. Haven't changed from the original Aquila strings yet.

Gillian
10-13-2012, 01:30 PM
After spending that much on a gorgeous Kanile'a, I'd get a hard wood case, especially since it will be making the trip back to England with you. To me, "hard foam" is an oxymoron.

Kanile'a makes the best looking production ukuleles, IMO.

Skottoman
10-13-2012, 02:45 PM
We all know you bought it today... :) Post some photos if you can!
Or at least tell us how it went? I hope you went next door to Scotty's and bought some cookies. Best hawaiian cookies ever right next door!

Cheers,
Skottoman

The Big Kahuna
10-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Yep, Uke acquired a couple of hours ago. Scotty took me round back of the counter and we went through about 10, choosing the nicest grain and best intonation & sound. He pulled out a Kanilea special with fantastic wood, Honu inlays and beautiful edge binding for about $ 1600. Mrs Kahuna said to get it if I wanted it, but I didn't like the feel of the neck.

consitter
10-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Yep, Uke acquired a couple of hours ago. Scotty took me round back of the counter and we went through about 10, choosing the nicest grain and best intonation & sound. He pulled out a Kanilea special with fantastic wood, Honu inlays and beautiful edge binding for about $ 1600. Mrs Kahuna said to get it if I wanted it, but I didn't like the feel of the neck.

Congratulations! Now post some pics!

wickedwahine11
10-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Pics please!

The Big Kahuna
10-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Way too drunk at the moment to be trusted with either a $ 2000 DSLR or a $ 1100 Ukulele. Interesting factoid...the tag hanging from the Uke says that it's fitted with D'Addario strings, not Aquilla. She still plays like a dream though. Scotty is a very cool dude, even taking into account the fact that he's a businessman with a store to run. Scotty's is the only place on the island that feels like a musicians music store. No disrespect to Sam at Kamoa, but the Kapa'a and Koloa stores are tourist shops. And that's from the perspective of someone who was doing what these guys are doing 30 years ago.

kvehe
10-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Oh, thank goodness you bought it.

Plainsong
10-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Way too drunk at the moment to be trusted with either a $ 2000 DSLR or a $ 1100 Ukulele. Interesting factoid...the tag hanging from the Uke says that it's fitted with D'Addario strings, not Aquilla. She still plays like a dream though. Scotty is a very cool dude, even taking into account the fact that he's a businessman with a store to run. Scotty's is the only place on the island that feels like a musicians music store. No disrespect to Sam at Kamoa, but the Kapa'a and Koloa stores are tourist shops. And that's from the perspective of someone who was doing what these guys are doing 30 years ago.

Yeah, I kinda said that earlier in the thread. They're D'addario Nyltechs, which were developed with the help of Aquila. ;)

Happy NUD, and remember, pics or it didn't happen.

guitharsis
10-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Congrats! Good choice. Looking forward to pics.

Happy NUD and Happy Anniversary.

The Big Kahuna
10-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Here you go folks

kvehe
10-14-2012, 08:36 AM
oooooooohhhhhhhhhhh..............

we tigers
10-14-2012, 08:47 AM
congrats!!!

Trinimon
10-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Woooo! That's some nice curls man! Congrats!!!

wickedwahine11
10-14-2012, 10:00 AM
It is so beautiful! Congratulations.

Skottoman
10-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Been offline for a few days, and now back on to happily see you acquired your uke!

You will love it! Like the "tree" photo also! :)
Enjoy it!
Cheers,
Skottoman

BadLands Bart
10-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Congratulations....man that is a beauty!!!