another one of those 'what concert should I buy?' threads...

we tigers

Reaction score
Hi guys,
yes it's one of those threads again... I'm saving up for a nice concert ukulele to fill the gap between my Kiwaya KTS-4 and my Pono MT-E. If you had about 500 euro to spend on a concert ukulele, what would you recommend?

Should I just buy the bigger brother of my beloved KTS-4, the KTC-1? or should I finally add a Hawaiian made koa uke to the collection and buy a KoAloha? Or go custom with a nice Covered Bridge? Or go for one those arch-top beauties made by Toby Chennell (http://www.jazzboxukes.com)?
Or save a few bucks and get me a KoAlana?

What kind of sound are you looking for? What kind of music so you mostly see yourself playing on it? The KoAloha concerts are very hard to beat and regarded as one of the absolute best concerts around hands down. I used to have one and it was amazing. Sort of regret parting with it, but koa is just not the sound I was looking for, but if that's what your after, I'd say go KoAloha.

I mostly play old jazz songs on my Kiwaya (trying really hard to sound just a tiny little bit like guys as Ukulelezaza, with only a 0,001% of his talent...) and bossa-nova sort of stuff on my Pono.

There aren't any KoAlohas under 620 euros on the market in Europe I'm afraid. If I were you I'd jump on the occasion of getting one of those KoAlana concerts from HMS, they seem fab and even with tax and shipment they're cheaper than their big brothers. You'll be struggling to find a better deal at the moment I think.

There aren't any KoAlohas under 620 euros on the market in Europe I'm afraid. If I were you I'd jump on the occasion of getting one of those KoAlana concerts from HMS, they seem fab and even with tax and shipment they're cheaper than their big brothers. You'll be struggling to find a better deal at the moment I think.
yep. agree.

What kind of sound are you looking for? What kind of music so you mostly see yourself playing on it? The KoAloha concerts are very hard to beat and regarded as one of the absolute best concerts around hands down. I used to have one and it was amazing. Sort of regret parting with it, but koa is just not the sound I was looking for, but if that's what your after, I'd say go KoAloha.

I have one. It's tremendous. I won't play my other three!

If you can possibly wait and save a little more, the Koaloha concert just can't be beat. Musique83 (an excellent authorized dealer in the EU) often has pikake versions. You can save a little money than with the gloss version, and it screams like a super car when you play it.

Hi guys,
yes it's one of those threads again... I'm saving up for a nice concert ukulele to fill the gap between my Kiwaya KTS-4 and my Pono MT-E. If you had about 500 euro to spend on a concert ukulele, what would you recommend?

Should I just buy the bigger brother of my beloved KTS-4, the KTC-1? or should I finally add a Hawaiian made koa uke to the collection and buy a KoAloha? Or go custom with a nice Covered Bridge? Or go for one those arch-top beauties made by Toby Chennell (http://www.jazzboxukes.com)?
Or save a few bucks and get me a KoAlana?
I had a KTC-1, and they are amazing. almost perfect, but , I sold it when I acquired a Koaloha KCM-10. The sound is awesome, and for me it's a little easier to play with the bigger frets and longer fretboard. It is the best sounding concert I have played. now , a KTC-2 might be a different story. you really can't go wrong either way, but since you don't have a Hawaiian?

Hi guys,
Or go custom with a nice Covered Bridge?
Eugene Ukulele had his Covered Bridge concert up for sale a few days ago. Don't know whether it has been sold. Listening to his YouTubes with it, it has great sound.

Eugene's CB concert sold pretty quickly. It's gone.

Eugene Ukulele had his Covered Bridge concert up for sale a few days ago. Don't know whether it has been sold. Listening to his YouTubes with it, it has great sound.

I've got both the Koaloha and the Koalana. If you are just itching for Koa, then the Koaloha obviously. However, I think you'd be really really happy with the Koalana. Of course it's new so that influences me, but at this moment I much prefer playing the Koalana to the Koaloha. It's just amazing how resonant it is.

I'm leaning heavily towards ordering something special from the guys at Covered Bridge. I don't really think the Hawaiian thing is my style and I've pretty much fallen in love with a myrtle and redwood concert they built earlier...

Top Bottom