PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst ukulele festival you have attended?

SailingUke
10-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Many of us have attended some great workshops and festivals.
We usually heap tons of praise on the organizers for the hard work of putting together a successful gathering.

Without getting personal and with the intent of assisting their efforts how about discussing the festivals and/or workshops you have been disappointed in and offering some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism for current and future organizers.

sukie
10-12-2012, 08:35 AM
While technically not a festival, it was just a workshop --

1. If you are the instructor, show up on time. If it is supposed to start at 10, be there then. Don't show up at 10:40 with the excuse you had to eat breakfast first.

2. If the majority of your attendees are beginners, don't teach advanced material. And if you do, at least bring handouts.

3. Don't try to teach too much material. You don't want to get your students too confused. Especially if you have no handouts.

4. It'd be nice if the teacher stayed focused and didn't keep leaving the room.

I'm sure there is more. But this workshop was last weekend and I'm still not over it.

I try very hard to critique, not criticize. There is a difference.

When I have sent emails after a festival, I always make sure to mention the good stuff, too. There always is good stuff.

ukeeku
10-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Most of my issues are with location and no time to jam
I know there is a need to keep it cheap, but if you have it in the middle of no where or in a bad neighborhood, it takes away from the event.
And my other beef is when there are no breaks or places set a side to sit around and jam with people.
If I ran a fest I would set up a room and have people rotating out as the "leader". That way if you don't see a class that interests you, you can always go jam with people....Or go and hang out with the vendors

SailingUke
10-12-2012, 09:53 AM
And my other beef is when there are no breaks or places set a side to sit around and jam with people.
If I ran a fest I would set up a room and have people rotating out as the "leader". That way if you don't see a class that interests you, you can always go jam with people....Or go and hang out with the vendors

I have had this same thought and have shared it with every organizer I have ever met. They all say the same thing, they expect the jamming will happen on its own.
Let me know when you organize a festival, I will be there.

TCK
10-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm with you. Dad and I have helped run an old time fiddle festival for the last ten years, and the part of the festival that has always been the best is the Jam room. We have had to move it, and we have had to shut it down for small periods of time because of the cacophony...but it will never go. Accordion festival I attended once upon a time had a jam tent- Ukulele festivals (from what I have experienced, and that is few)- nothing. No where to jam at all.
I am hoping UWC shatters that, and I come home with bleeding stubs where my fingers once were.
That said- options of food are pretty sparse as well, and even out in the middle of nowhere, we gotta eat.
I have yet to attend a seminar- I just know I won't learn that way...but I jammed for a brief moment with other UUers at the last festival I went to and learned two songs and two strum techniques...and played some of the prettiest ukuleles I have ever touched-made some new friends. Seems a Jam spot is a no-brainer, heck, I would rent the tent for one.

Most of my issues are with location and no time to jam
I know there is a need to keep it cheap, but if you have it in the middle of no where or in a bad neighborhood, it takes away from the event.