More ukuleles with 1.5" @ nut by Moku, what do you think?

Uke Republic

Reaction score
Moku ukuleles came out with their "Choice Series" this year and decided to go with 1.5" @ nut for concert and tenors. This is for the solid spruce , solid mahogany and laminate mahogany. Very nice quality . Their "Select Series" is standard with 1.3/8" More choices are always good. How do you feel about 1.5"?P1110227__768x1024_ Moku choice spruce.jpg

I don't really know what the nut width is on any of my ukes, assuming that they are 1 3/8, what is the spacing on my Sailor?

I really like the look of the spruce rosewood Moku, they look real nice.

Good question... It seems pretty wide, but what do I know? My Flea is 1.4-something, and I'm used to that. So probably wouldn't be a big deal to me. I'd have to play one to really know, which means I'd have to buy one. Flea would not like that. :D But, it might be nice for more space, especially for fingerpicking. How is the sustain on the Choice series? I know next-to-nothing about these ukes - where are they made?

With that fret width, would make a nice concert size taropatch. I was trying to convince Ohana to make one. Except for custom, no one, anywhere makes them for the masses.

Moku ukuleles came out with their "Choice Series" this year and decided to go with 1.5" @ nut for concert and tenors. This is for the solid spruce , solid mahogany and laminate mahogany. Very nice quality . Their "Select Series" is standard with 1.3/8" More choices are always good. How do you feel about 1.5"?View attachment 44036

One of my classical guitars a Guild Mark VII has a nut width of 53 mm. A ukulele with a nut width of 1 1/2 " would provide even more spacing between the strings than that classical guitar. For most players it would provide no advantage and probably feel quite awkward. Some of the Lanikai models use that nut width and after playing them in a store I could not figure out the advantage.

I would have steered away from a uke with a 1.5" nut width. Then I got the Kanilea superconcert. It's so comfy to play. I think that's a 1.5" isn't it?

Aloha Mike,
I usually like a 1 3/8" nut width...for the fast and thinner necks...even to say 1 5/16" would work too...sometimes better on some ukes...
You know I really like the neck on my Oscar Schmidt OU2 it is almost perfect for me....little slimmer and and am a happy camper...had a few customs built with this neck size and I like it..
I just got a couple ukes with the 1 1/5" nut and although I am not used to it and slightly uncomfortable, I can deal with them but it is a factor in me
choosing to play them at times...hope it helps..MM

My Nalu and Kanile'a have 1.5 in. width at the nut. Very nice for picking.

all personal preference but 1.5 is too wide for me. Just can't get comfortable with it. 1.3/8 is my preference but Peter Hurney from Pohaku is now using 1.7/16 which feels nice too. Amazing how much difference such small measurements can make eh...

Good question... It seems pretty wide, but what do I know? My Flea is 1.4-something, and I'm used to that. So probably wouldn't be a big deal to me. I'd have to play one to really know, which means I'd have to buy one. Flea would not like that. :D But, it might be nice for more space, especially for fingerpicking. How is the sustain on the Choice series? I know next-to-nothing about these ukes - where are they made?
The Select series is made in Vietnam and the Choice is China. Both are very well crafted with a lot of handwork and QC put into them. Moku is based in San Francisco and the owner of the Co. said he will release some pics of the craftsmanship that goes into his instruments soon as he just returned this week from a visit.
One other 1.5" tenor is Kelii

Speaking as a person who has very large hands. I simply cannot play a standard electric guitar. I cant even place one finger on a string with out muting its neighbors. Kudos to having BIG NUTS!

That said, I don't have issues on a standard uke since the spacing is so generous anyway.

The Select series is made in Vietnam and the Choice is China. Both are very well crafted with a lot of handwork and QC put into them. Moku is based in San Francisco and the owner of the Co. said he will release some pics of the craftsmanship that goes into his instruments soon as he just returned this week from a visit.
One other 1.5" tenor is Kelii
Thanks Mike I've been looking at Moku on and off... Still looking. :)

Top Bottom