Newbie to Sell Classsic Uke

Reaction score
PA120014.jpgPA120001.jpgPA120003.jpgPA120009.JPGPA120012.jpgGreetings to all Ukulele lovers: joined Ukulele Underground for one purpose, to sell my wife's classic/mint/never played Kamaka HF 38 8-string tenor ukulele.

It's in its original case, with original and replacement strings and has the label inside reflecting that it was produced for the 1976 Centennial. We are located in Southeast USA several hours from Atlanta. Believe the instrument is worth between $1.0K and $1.2K. Selling because we are old, have never used the uke and do not have any musicians in the family. No handling charge, shipping cost to be discussed. Welcome thoughts on how best to sell. :)

Last edited:
welcome, butthis isn't how you go about it. read the how to sell post at the top of the forum. you will have more success.

OP, you edited your post, but you still didn't follow the rules here.

How to Sell Ukuleles in the Marketplace: READ BEFORE POSTING

If you wish to sell anything in the marketplace you must provide these things in your post.

1. Picture of the actual ukulele being sold. Not a stock photo of the model
2. Reason why you are selling the instrument
3. Price and Terms (S&H etc)

To increase your chances of selling your ukulele, providing these things will also help.
- Video / Audio sample of the ukulele
- Time stamped picture with Ukulele Underground written on a piece of paper in front of the uke
- Not trying to sell something in your first post.
You have not stated a price, per the rules. You said you joined just to sell. There's even an announcement about reports of scammers here, so you can understand why members would be skeptical of a first-time poster trying to sell who can't even follow the rules.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/announcement.php?f=7

A chipboard case for a Kamaka? How sad. :(

You have not stated a price, per the rules. You said you joined just to sell. There's even an announcement about reports of scammers here, so you can understand why members would be skeptical of a first-time poster trying to sell who can't even follow the rules.

Thank you, I'll start over again tomorrow and try to follow ALL-of-the-Rules. Hopefully this can be considered as my first posting to UU. Please bear with me, I am long into retirement and only interested in finding a good home for this instrument.

As for the case, it is the one that came with the Kamaka. Happy to replace it, but assume a new owner would do so.

Aloha STM,
Nice Kamaka there in good condition...assuming you bought it new back then..it was probally a couple hundred bucks...which was a good deal back then....
Nowdays I would pay....... good luck on your sale...

There was probably a nicer way to say this. Frankly, I think your tone was a little more accusatory than necessary and than it was trying to help.

Please post a photo with UU sign and the date so that members know that you didn't just lift photos off the internet.

It's a lovely Kamaka, but sometimes hard to be new on a forum and have someone cut you a check for a grand and mail it to another state.

Sometimes linking an eBay account from a "long time member", where the instrument is simultaneously listed on an account with oodles of positive feedback helps (you can pull the eBay ad if someone here buys it). Sometimes a UU member will choose to buy it from your eBay listing just for the piece of mind of Paypal insurance/guarantee. It's not much, but it helps.

If it does not sell here, and if you are not an eBay member, perhaps a local guitar/uke store will sell it on consignment for a fee and then a buyer can see it in person, play it, and will be more willing to part with cash to buy it. Additionally, a store would accept a credit card which helps many pay for a fine, high end instrument like yours.

Just some notions for what looks to be a nice instrument. G'luck with your sale, short time member.

Last edited:
Please post a photo with UU sign and the date so that members know that you didn't just lift photos off the internet.

It's a lovely Kamaka, but sometimes hard to be new on a forum and have someone cut you a check for a grand and mail it to another state.

Sometimes linking an eBay account from a "long time member", where the instrument is simultaneously listed on an account with oodles of positive feedback helps (you can pull the eBay ad if someone here buys it). Sometimes a UU member will choose to buy it from your eBay listing just for the piece of mind of Paypal insurance/guarantee. It's not much, but it helps.

If it does not sell here, and if you are not an eBay member, perhaps a local guitar/uke store will sell it on consignment for a fee and then a buyer can see it in person, play it, and will be more willing to part with cash to buy it. Additionally, a store would accept a credit card which helps many pay for a fine, high end instrument like yours.

Just some notions for what looks to be a nice instrument. G'luck with your sale, short time member.
That's a really kind and helpful post... warms my heart - nice one! :)

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions.

I have been in contact with two regional dealers who are interested in handling the instrument on consignment. I understand the difficulty of any exchange for both parties, buyer as well as seller, through a forum such as this, but it was suggested that I try this approach by a party in Atlanta.

Although I have a PayPal Account and have purchased a number of items on EBay, it seems best to turn it over to an authorized Kamaka dealer with an established client list and quality reputation.

Accordingly, to comfort any party who might question whether this posting was an attempted scam, I will post one final photo with the required UU display and shortly thereafter close out the "thread". A final posting will provide a path to the dealer.

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions.

I have been in contact with two regional dealers who are interested in handling the instrument on consignment. I understand the difficulty of any exchange for both parties, buyer as well as seller, through a forum such as this, but it was suggested that I try this approach by a party in Atlanta.

Although I have a PayPal Account and have purchased a number of items on EBay, it seems best to turn it over to an authorized Kamaka dealer with an established client list and quality reputation.

Accordingly, to comfort any party who might question whether this posting was an attempted scam, I will post one final photo with the required UU display and shortly thereafter close out the "thread". A final posting will provide a path to the dealer.

Good. And don't take it personally, there are reports of multiple scammers lately. The rules for this marketplace are very helpfull in avoiding them. So far.
Good luck on selling that nice uke.

PA130005.jpgPA130004.jpg

Kamaka instrument...added photos. Per previous posting, instrument to be on consignment with dealer located in the southeast in the near future.

I don't think you should close the thread someone here may be interested in buying from you on here. I don't think you are a scammer you just made an innocent mistake like many others in the past by not reading the rules. You've read and gone by the rules now so you should be okay. With the exception of a price. Stick a price up there and let UU members make you an offer if they think it's to high.

Last edited:
Let's just start over. This is a terrific instrument, retails new for around 1400.00. The new ones have fancier tuner buttons and logo. Although unplayed it is still used, $1,000.00 to $1200.00 is not unreasonable. If I were selling it (I buy and sell often) I would list it for 900.00. Good luck. BTW: expect some offers. A lot of us here are horse-traders.

Top Bottom