PDA

View Full Version : The Passenger

The Ukelites
10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi UU,

today we recorded our first multitrack and our first greenscreen video. We still need some practise on that greenscreen...
After this week's season showed some videos with the Am F C G chords we decided to do "The Passenger" from Iggy Pop. It's always
Am F C G and Am F C E.
But we wanted to do this multitrack and it is not exactly the progression Jpeg wanted, so we decided to post it here and not in the season.
Somewhere I read that Iggy Pop wrote this song 1977 in the Berlin subway, so we decided to take a Munich subway station as our background, the place is called Karlsplatz, Stachus.
Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_xdDgmvPqQ

wee_ginga_yin
10-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Leather and all, and a punky distorted sound... you've gone and done a Dylan on us and gone all electric.
That Am F C G is the "sensitive female chord progression" which is surprising for Iggy, and jpeg said he
would not quibble if anyone used it... so I would say it would be OK for the seasons. I did a Em C G D
song and nobody objected.

Loved the performance, the brashness of it, and the stark B&W visuals. Instant favorite.

FriendlyFred
10-13-2012, 01:32 AM
This is great.
An electric uke would fit there too.
Einsteigen bitte.

coolkayaker1
10-13-2012, 01:36 AM
I like your songs. They are bouncy and fun.

The Passenger, besides being Iggy's 1977 tune, is also the title of Pulitizer Prize winning novelist ("The Road", "Blood Meridian", etc.) Cormac McCarthy's soon-to-be-released novel.

I have no clue why I just told you that. It might be because my mind is turning like a rusted screw here so early in the morning.

But, back to your tune...I remember that one from Iggy. It makes me want to dance, the way you do it and all. I like how that green screen effect makes you both look like ghosts in a busy subway station. It's like everyone just keeps walking past you and they don;t even see you. But, I see you. I can hear you, and they can't. It makes my skin all goosepimply, but for some reason, I like it.

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 03:19 AM
This is great.
An electric uke would fit there too.
Einsteigen bitte.

Thank you, Fred.
An E-Uke of course would fit, but if we wanted a guitar sound, we would take a guitar. We love the uke sound, that's why we play it (ok, and because it's small and cute). :)

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 03:23 AM
I like your songs. They are bouncy and fun.

The Passenger, besides being Iggy's 1977 tune, is also the title of Pulitizer Prize winning novelist ("The Road", "Blood Meridian", etc.) Cormac McCarthy's soon-to-be-released novel.

I have no clue why I just told you that. It might be because my mind is turning like a rusted screw here so early in the morning.

But, back to your tune...I remember that one from Iggy. It makes me want to dance, the way you do it and all. I like how that green screen effect makes you both look like ghosts in a busy subway station. It's like everyone just keeps walking past you and they don;t even see you. But, I see you. I can hear you, and they can't. It makes my skin all goosepimply, but for some reason, I like it.

Thank you, coolkayaker1!
The video has the same effect on us. btw: The Passengers is the name of Debbie Harry's serious Band. I have no clue why I just told you that... :confused:

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 03:27 AM
Leather and all, and a punky distorted sound... you've gone and done a Dylan on us and gone all electric.
That Am F C G is the "sensitive female chord progression" which is surprising for Iggy, and jpeg said he
would not quibble if anyone used it... so I would say it would be OK for the seasons. I did a Em C G D
song and nobody objected.

Loved the performance, the brashness of it, and the stark B&W visuals. Instant favorite.

Thank you, Bob. But overdub productions are not allowed in the seasons' entries. But anyway: Glad you liked it!

v30
10-13-2012, 03:40 AM
That was cool!
Sang and played great and neat background!

UkuEroll
10-13-2012, 04:07 AM
Best on yet guys, even Steffan is rocking out :-) Vocals sounded sweet too.

keonepax
10-13-2012, 04:45 AM
What a cool look to the video! Love the sound, too! Great job as always...

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 06:02 AM
That was cool!
Sang and played great and neat background!

Thank you, we were glad that no Oktoberfest visitors ran through the picture:)

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 06:04 AM
Best on yet guys, even Steffan is rocking out :-) Vocals sounded sweet too.

Thank you, Leroy! Steffen does the backing vocals! :old:In the original track David Bowie sings backing vocals for Iggy...:cool:

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 06:05 AM
What a cool look to the video! Love the sound, too! Great job as always...

Thank you very much! Your greenscreen videos inspired us to have a try on that!:):)

thesillydave
10-13-2012, 07:04 AM
y'all just get better and better! great job on the muti tracking and the green screen!

TCK
10-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Beautifully done...love me some Iggy Pop, and the setting was incredible- as was the playing of course, as usual.

000Kanaka000
10-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Wow the green screen is very cool. Talk about being high tech.
It's really nice to hear the bass as well. You guys are just to
cool for school. Fabulous.

PeteyHoudini
10-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Very cool! I look forward next to Bowie's HEROES!!!

Petey

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 01:11 PM
y'all just get better and better! great job on the muti tracking and the green screen!

Thanks, Dave! That's so nice about the seasons and the forum! We all are growing! :agree:

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Beautifully done...love me some Iggy Pop, and the setting was incredible- as was the playing of course, as usual.
Thanks to the Cloverdale kid!:)

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Wow the green screen is very cool. Talk about being high tech.
It's really nice to hear the bass as well. You guys are just to
cool for school. Fabulous.

To cool for school? I'm a teacher for german, history and philosophy, hehe....Cheers Miriam

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Very cool! I look forward next to Bowie's HEROES!!!

Petey

Und dann sind wir Helden für einen Tag...:)

Wongo
10-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Great video. Vocals were tight too

ukuloonie
10-13-2012, 01:48 PM
I was head bopping away to this song I really liked it thanks for putting it together.

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Great video. Vocals were tight too

Thanks for watching, Wongo!:)

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I was head bopping away to this song I really liked it thanks for putting it together.

Thanks, Drew, glad you like it!:):)

ukuleledaveey
10-13-2012, 03:02 PM
:shaka::worship: WOW amazing loved it guys, you guys just keep getting better and better loved it im gob smacked as what to write as i cannot think of any words good enough to praise you, keep them coming as your so talented all the best from me :)

The Ukelites
10-13-2012, 10:28 PM
:shaka::worship: WOW amazing loved it guys, you guys just keep getting better and better loved it im gob smacked as what to write as i cannot think of any words good enough to praise you, keep them coming as your so talented all the best from me :)

Thanks a lot, Daveey! Glad you like it. Your new avatar looks good! Cheers!:)

Barry Barmcake
10-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Excellent cover version! And love the bass sound too! Hmm... this may replace 'Siouxsie & The Banshees' cover version as my favourite - and that's not easy to do, because I love that version!

Great stuff folks! :)

KoaDependent
10-15-2012, 05:01 AM
I was dinking around with this while shifting around for a song to play for the 1564 challenge, too. The jangling rhythm lends itself well to the uke, and adding the bass always makes your covers sound so much richer.

The Ukelites
10-16-2012, 03:51 AM
Excellent cover version! And love the bass sound too! Hmm... this may replace 'Siouxsie & The Banshees' cover version as my favourite - and that's not easy to do, because I love that version!

Great stuff folks! :)

Thanks a lot Barry,
we took the Iggy version because it's the original and the background vocal arrangement is nicer.
But the singing of Siouxie always was more interesting to me. So the idea was to mix the versions a bit, starting with a deeper voice and later singing a bit more like Siouxie. Glad you like it! Cheers Miriam

The Ukelites
10-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Thank you, :)
you're right, the bass is really an enrichment. MAybe in the future we use more instruments. Steffen is a quite good saxophone player, I hope I can convince him to do some more multitrack recordings.

myrnaukelele
10-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Oh this is way cool. Love it!
I recently acquired a green screen but haven't worked with it yet. I love the effect you got here with yours.

The Ukelites
10-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Oh this is way cool. Love it!
I recently acquired a green screen but haven't worked with it yet. I love the effect you got here with yours.

Thank you, Myrna. We still have some problems with the green screen but it's fun. Looking forward to your coming videos! :cheers: