E chord alternative

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
I came across an E chord as 1402 for the first time. It sounds good, it's ok to finger. I haven't seen it before.

Is it legal?

Someone else can address the legality of it - but do you find it easier than 4442? I don't - but different frets for different folks? Or do you see it as an alternative?

Last edited:
It is really cool when switching between A and this one.

Hey, man, don't forget 4447.

Yes I posted something about that a few years back..ha ha really ...don't use it much because it does not fit comfortable with changing chords in the progression..I rather use the reagular E
it's way easier and more comfortable...

I came across an E chord as 1402 for the first time. It sounds good, it's ok to finger. I haven't seen it before.

Is it legal?

I have a cop in my family and he says that it is not legal and if he caught anyone doing it he'd give them a stiff rap on the noggin with his baton.

I have a cop in my family and he says that it is not legal and if he caught anyone doing it he'd give them a stiff rap on the noggin with his baton.

"Whaddaya in for."

"E chord - 1402. You?"

"Playin' 'Hallelujah.'"

There was a young ukeist from Nantucket
I loved uke so, he would pluck it
He played C, F and G
Quite happily
But when he found E
He thought "f^*k it"

I play the E chord 444x.

There is no subsitute for the E chord... Only inversions. :D

Actually a few months ago I spent a couple hours working on 4442, and then by george, I think I got it!

Don't let it pass by as a chord to avoid or muffle. Master it, and you'll have friend for life.

Think of it as just a E and not an Eeeeeeee!

I sometimes go to folk jams and believe it not I used to bring a guitar for songs in the key of E. Not anymore. :rolleyes:

I'm starting to like 9877 - it's a familiar chord shape, and I don't mind the higher pitch. Even though it's up the neck, I can fret it more quickly and cleanly than 4442.

Isn't 1402 essentially the same as 1X02 (dampen "C" string using the "G#" finger)? As for 4442, I'm puzzled, is this only a problem for those who can't barre chords? Since I barre across at the 2nd fret using index and middle (for that extra strength) and using ring and pinky to straddle the three 444s. Maybe this is a throwback to playing guitar, but it works.

Isn't 1402 essentially the same as 1X02 (dampen "C" string using the "G#" finger)? As for 4442, I'm puzzled, is this only a problem for those who can't barre chords? Since I barre across at the 2nd fret using index and middle (for that extra strength) and using ring and pinky to straddle the three 444s. Maybe this is a throwback to playing guitar, but it works.

I was just wondering the same thing as I browsed this thread. I learned "E" at first as 1402 then 4442 later, and I find it much easier, but I barre it as well I barre the 3 4's with my ring finger and hit just the a string with index. I can play it pretty cleany that way, and it makes transitions to other chords simpler for me at least. I also barre G, and D as well though....Perhaps I just have poor technique, but I did the same technique with some guitar chords back in the day

Top Bottom