Maui Uke Fest

AndrewKuker

Reaction score
Got over to Maui this morning, first time in over 10 years. Such a beautiful Island. Sunday is Maui's annual ukulele festival at the Art and Cultural Center. Just wanted to mention it for those able to come. Aloha

Aloha Andrew. I'll be performing there with Ka'ala Carmack and the J-Town Hui! It looks like a fun festival. Ohta-San will be performing with Nando Suan and Richard Ho'opi'i will also be performing.

Last edited:
You just missed the vog!

I'll be there. I'm going to the workshop tomorrow too. The lady at the MACC asked me if I knew how to play C, F, and G7 when registering and I said "Yeah..........." Hopefully I can pick some tips up and meet some fellow players.

Went last year, was kinda disappointed, not enough vendors. The show was good though............

I'll be there on Sunday. Looking forward to it. I really enjoyed last year. It is low key. Just sitting on the big lawn under the warm sun as the trade winds gently blow listening to ukulele, and watching the occasional hula, good times. Plus i'm going to the workshop tomorrow. See you there.

I wish I could be there to break bread with my friend and favorite uke shop owner, share shakas with my favorite online video teacher, and hobnob with one of the most intelligent posters on UU Forums.

I'll let you figure out who's who.

Haha, I love this place, might not come back.

Thanks Steve, make me feel special. Wait, Brad, you don't have a Uke shop right?

Nope. I'm running on one 'ukulele only while on Maui. ...But I have a Fender strat and an amp too, does that make me a uke shop?

Aloha Andrew and Mahalo. I went to the Maui Ukulele Festival today. I really enjoyed it. I got up on stage with Roy Sakuma's beginner class from yesterday's intro to uke class, and we played Mustang Sally and Roy's own creation "I am what I am" (a fabulous self confidence inspiring song). And we played for the crowd. Simple chords, but fun. All of the performances were good. Some better than others, depending upon your preference. But a very nice time on a beautiful sunny day. And Mahalo to Andrew, my wife got her name pulled out of the hat for the Pono Concert Acacia Satin donated by Andrew. A beautiful instrument. She is sitting across from me right now (not knowing I'm typing this, she has not been part of the ukulele world, just a patient listener, up til now) trying C-G-Am-F-G7. She went to Roy's class yesterday, because she was thinking of trying to learn the ukulele. At the festival you have to be present to win, and the person that originally got selected must have gone home. So they picked again, Angie's was the last ukulele given away. IMG_0350.jpg

My photos from the Maui Ukulele Festival are still in the camera, but here are two photos of the group I performed with, the J-Town Hui, that an acquaintance posted on Facebook.

maui uke festival 1 of 2.jpg maui uke festival 2 of 2.jpg

My son has asd and doesn't do crowds so we sat in this cool backyard and it sounded great. I still went around and caught some videos. We ate at this place called Da Sushi Bar near the airport and it was SO GOOD!! Gotta go when in Maui! So good
mauifestival_1.jpg

Top Bottom