The D chord

webby

Reaction score
I've started playing a full D chord by reaching over and grabbing the bottom 3 strings with my thumb, anyone else play it this way or am I going to get burned for heresy ?

One of dozens of examples. It's a technique favored by players who enjoy slow songs and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Last edited:
There is no chord fretting hell. Well, maybe in Dante, but if you're not a Renaissance Italian, I think you're ok.

As for the technique, some of my students use it. The problem you get into is when you have transitions which should be easy, such as D to F#m, or D to Bm, both of which happen a fair bit, and suddenly they involve this gymnastic wrist roll-around which is unnecessarily hard.

No go and say three Hail Marys. (sorry, just trying to get another reference in to Ken's thread.... ;) )

It just makes moving between shapes more difficult...like to diminished chords for example. Because of the large amount of wrist movement it'll most likely slow down your ability to hit the notes at speed. But whatever works for you works eh, heaps of people play like that.

No problem unless it hinders ease of chord changes. I've seen videos of some of our best ukers doing demo's do it.

There is no chord fretting hell. Well, maybe in Dante, but if you're not a Renaissance Italian, I think you're ok.

As for the technique, some of my students use it. The problem you get into is when you have transitions which should be easy, such as D to F#m, or D to Bm, both of which happen a fair bit, and suddenly they involve this gymnastic wrist roll-around which is unnecessarily hard.

No go and say three Hail Marys. (sorry, just trying to get another reference in to Ken's thread.... ;) )

lol, thanks for the laugh, I did what you instructed only I said three tooth fairys and threw in a father christmas and 2 harry potters instead as they are just as real :)

I've started playing a full D chord by reaching over and grabbing the bottom 3 strings with my thumb, anyone else play it this way or am I going to get burned for heresy ?

I've been playing for 36 years and have always used my thumb in chording. The chord transitions are no harder. It's like anything else, you just have to practice to get the transitions down. It's second nature to me now to pivot my hand around the neck and attack those strings from both sides. In particular, there's many chords where I use my thumb on the G string.

I usually make an E chord by barring 3 strings with my thumb. The only times I do it with a D is in songs where I'm going from that D to an E or Eb. In those cases, I'll just slide that chord shape along the neck. Usually, I play a D with my thumb on the G string, index finger on the C, and middle finger on the E. I also use my thumb on the G string for diminished chords, so (following up on what eugene ukulele said) the transition from this way of playing D to a diminished chord is pretty easy.

It's a technique favored by players who enjoy slow songs and carpal tunnel syndrome.
I take that comment seriously coming from a doctor specializing in these issues. I mean, everything is individual. Some people can smoke two packs a day and not get lung cancer but I'm sure it wouldn't surprise a doctor to see that occurrence. I guess it depends on technique and regularity. Most people I know that use this technique do it only at certain times when best suited for the transitions or chord melodies being played.

lol, thanks for the laugh, I did what you instructed only I said three tooth fairys and threw in a father christmas and 2 harry potters instead as they are just as real :)
Holy crap, lol!!!!!

Fretting chord notes with my thumb is a "bad" habit carried over from my guitar playing to my uke playing. A formal teacher would no doubt have a seizure at the thought, but what works for you works for you.

But be careful. There was once this guy who used to use his thumb a whole lot to fret notes. He never amounted to anything...

Did Hendrix have huge hands? It looks like he could wrap this thumb around the neck.

My usual response is "Hendrix did it, so it must be okay." On the ukulele, there's less reason to do it, but if Hendrix played the ukulele, I'm sure he'd be doing spectacular things which are technically "wrong".

Top Bottom