E Chord as 1 X 0 2 - Anyone?

chiefnoda

Reaction score
Hi

As an easy alternative, what about playing it 1 X 0 2? Is it commonly done?

What you do is to fret G string using Index finger. Usually you want a fretting finger comin perpendicular so it won't touch other strings. In this case, you tilt the index finger slight toward C string so that C string is muted.

Leave the E string open, and fret A string using MIDDLE or RING finger, your choice.

Yes, i takes a bit of getting used to to mute the C string, but this chord form is very easy to fret, esp in a pinch

Cheers
Chief

Brilliant, maybe even I can start playing songs with the E chord instead of using cheats <g>

I like 1-4-0-2 for a basic E chord as well. The form everybody hates really isn't that bad, but this is a good alternative.

Works Great, chiefnoda!

Much easier than 4442!...

Last edited:
Hi

As an easy alternative, what about playing it 1 X 0 2? Is it commonly done?

What you do is to fret G string using Index finger. Usually you want a fretting finger comin perpendicular so it won't touch other strings. In this case, you tilt the index finger slight toward C string so that C string is muted.

Leave the E string open, and fret A string using MIDDLE or RING finger, your choice.

Yes, i takes a bit of getting used to to mute the C string, but this chord form is very easy to fret, esp in a pinch

Cheers
Chief

thanks so much, i've always dreaded when the damn e chord was approaching in a tune, you have changed my life.

I always play it 4447, the alternatives here look good though

E7's easier and fits.

Yes, many times that's true. This form is a simple variation of E7. In the key of A, E7 is just as good as E, but if you play in the key of E or B, E7 does not belong and you need a plain E.

Cheers
Chief

Top Bottom