Just got back from Guitar Denter...

OldePhart

Reaction score
...They had a much better uke selection than when I was in there about three weeks ago so they must be stocking up for the big classes.

Still mostly the same suspects though, Lanikai and Mitchel, mostly, with two or three Riptides with solid tops plus a Luna and a couple of Martins way up out of reach above the door inside the acoustic guitar room.

These were the first Riptides I've handled and I have to say I wasn't greatly impressed. They weren't terrible and were certainly more playable (better action and intonation) than the Lanikai and Mitchel offerings. But, for the money I think you can do better with Mainland or an Ohana solid wood model.

I think the "personal soundhole" moved to the bass bout is not necessarily a good idea - the Riptides didn't seem to have much bottom at all. As for the player being able to hear better - I suppose so but honestly the uke didn't sound as loud to me as my regular sopranos when I played it. On the plus side, it lets you see the bracing and it would certainly make it easy to install an under-soundboard pickup!

I found it interesting that there was no bridge plate on the Riptides - I guess on a soprano they can get away with just the fan bracing but most sopranos seem to have bridge plates just the same.

Well...enough rambling.

John

"Guitar Denter"

I love that!

Scooter

I went to a Guitar Center today too, and although there were probably 25 ukes I shook my head at how terrible most of them sounded! I wish they could expand past the cheaper brands and stock some good solid ukes. All of the ones there were laminate and most under $100. They weren't very good representations of how the instrument should sound, IMO.

I stopped at a Guitar Center a few weeks ago and had them take down a Martin -- their most expensive ukulele -- for me to try. The neck was warped and it was totally unplayable. I pointed this out to the salesboy, who just shrugged. I don't think I'd buy any stringed instrument from that place (I was there to get clarinet reeds for my daughter).

Meh, even if they had a good selection, I'd rather give my money to a seller that puts a modicum of effort into taking care of instruments and making sure they're playable before sticking them on the wall. GC has left me so disappointed recently that I don't have any interest in going back. (The one near me used to be great until the corporate suits cracked down on haggling!)

I've had the same experience as you all at Guitar Center. They stock purely shitukes, and I'm not talking mushrooms here.

I've got several GCs near me and a couple seem to keep decent Lunas and Cordobas in stock and they are generally in tune. Luckily though i also have a local music store that stocks a couple of K brands as well as a good selection of Pono, Islander, Ohana and even a couple of Mainlands.

Top Bottom