JJB-100 Under Soundboard Pickup in KoAloha

OldePhart

Reaction score
Today I picked up an endpin jack so I could install the pickup in my KoAloha longneck soprano.

Wow! I was impressed with the pickups when I put them in my Mainlands but on the KoAloha I'm pretty much speechless.

Clips here... http://soundcloud.com/oldephart/sets/jjb-100-pickup-in-koaloha

Edit to add: Oh...btw, I discovered some secrets about the KoAloha in the process. I think I know now one of the reasons why they are so crazy loud. They have a large but thin bridge plate (the plate goes almost to the edges of the uke) but no fan bracing. The only bracing appears to be the unibrace behind the soundhole and the brace under the crown of the fingerboard.

The bridges are also screwed on. The "decorative" inlayed strip of wood across the bridge is apparently hiding the screw heads, because when you look inside with an inspection mirror you can see the tips of two screws poking through the bridge plate.

This system seems to work well, for sure. I've not heard of KoAlohas having any problems with tops bellying more than usual so apparently the fan bracing isn't needed with that large bridge plate.

John

Last edited:
Sounds Great!!!...

It proves Excellent Sound doesn't always have to cost a lot of money...

like this...
IMG_0746.jpg

Last edited:
You should really put a video out on how to do the install. I'm interested, but I don't know if I have the heart to take a drill to any of my ukes...

You should really put a video out on how to do the install. I'm interested, but I don't know if I have the heart to take a drill to any of my ukes...

Actually, I had the web cam on while I did it. I'll have to go back through and see if I can edit it down to something useful because I'm sure nobody wants to listen to 45 minutes or so of me rambling on about this and that while I work on it. :)

John

like this...
IMG_0746.jpg

Yep...that's so beautiful. Makes it VERY easy to install an under soundboard pickup. On my other ukes I had to work around fan bracing and whatnot and darn near glued my fingers to one of them! This one was dead easy.

John

Top Bottom