Travel w/ an uke

wdonley

Reaction score
Hi all. Got a week long trip at the end of the month. Wife's going to a conference. I'm tagging along. Want to take an uke foe amusement. Logistics have me, tho. How do you do it? Take it in everywhere, so it doesn't overheat in the car? Choices are a Pono mahogany, or a Kamaka. There's a Kala pineapple local I could grab for $50. Tempted to do that and just not worry about it. The laminate should handle things pretty well. Any advice out there? Thanks. Bill D

Fluke or Flea are great for travel. Dont have to worry about warping the neck, they are durable and travel really well, and they sound pretty darn good, too!

There's a Kala pineapple local I could grab for $50. Tempted to do that and just not worry about it. The laminate should handle things pretty well.
Do it! I wouldn't want to take a good uke like a Kamaka on a road trip where it might be exposed to excessive heat in the trunk.

Kala makes really decent ukes, $50 is a steal on one.

Fleas and Flukes are really hardy, but not cheap. I would get the Kala.

Last edited:
In the last three years I have done several three - five month 20,000 km trips in a car, sleeping in a tent all around Australia, with some high end ukes.
A wooden kala will suffer sun damage almost as quickly as a Kamaka if you leave it in direct sunlight all day. Ply wood will go out of shape if it gets too hot while under tension, and wont come back. So it does not matter if you have a Kamaka or a Kala, you might need to put in the same effort to look after the uke, that is what I found anyway. What is the point of taking a uke, no matter how expensive, if you are not going to look after it and it will become unplayable, your wife could have fit in another set of shoes or something. So now I take a good uke on my travels. I have insurance against theft, and I think accidental damage, and enjoy the best tone when I am relaxing after a hard day on the road. I often also take a cheap uke like a Dolphin to share with anyone who asks me about ukes. I can tell them the dolphin cost only $50, show them a C chord and I tell them they could get started straight away for $50. So maybe you could buy the Kala and take two ukes, there are bound to be other spouses doing the same as you who should learn how to play a uke?
I like the way you think. I was kinda thinking, well the Kamaka's been reglued, so it's as stable as anything newer. The wood's aged so it should be stable. And, it's a soprano, so it's smaller to carry. But the Kala's cheap, wouldn't be a disaster if something happened. And it's awfully cute and cheap..........

Attachments

• 5Lf5H95Jc3n23Ib3Leca6bec27d0601e912ab.jpg
    5Lf5H95Jc3n23Ib3Leca6bec27d0601e912ab.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 15
Hi all. Got a week long trip at the end of the month. Wife's going to a conference. I'm tagging along. Want to take an uke foe amusement. Logistics have me, tho. How do you do it? Take it in everywhere, so it doesn't overheat in the car? Choices are a Pono mahogany, or a Kamaka. There's a Kala pineapple local I could grab for $50. Tempted to do that and just not worry about it. The laminate should handle things pretty well. Any advice out there? Thanks. Bill D

I was looking for a travel uke too.
Martin OXK is high pressure laminate, with a laminated neck. Excellent out of the box action and intonation. Pricier then the cheap Kala, but worth it. I bought one of those kala pineapple's a while ago. Still haven't got it set up right. Action, intonation, both awful. (on mine) Wasn't worth it even if someone were to have given it to me.

Bill, every time you post I think someone's stolen my account...:D. We are in Maui right now and brought our Pono mahogany baritone and Donaldson koa soprano. We take extra care especially with the sun and heat in Maui - I love the Costco "lightning rounds" of shopping. If we can't find shade or will be gone for any length of time, we take them with us. After we are here they stay in the condo until we leave.

I travel with my Kamaka all the time but I don't leave it sitting in a hot car all day long. Are you looking for a uke to just leave in the trunk of a car?

I vote for getting the Kala. It is, as you say, very cute. But you still shouldn't leave it in your car. Aside from damage to the 'uke, if it's in the car, it's not in your hands, which is where it belongs.

By the way, slightly OT, "tagalong" is a real marketing term referring to the spouses of conference attendees. When I go to conferences with my husband (the marketing professor), my code name is Tagalong. His is Boondoggle. :smileybounce:

Okay, back to the topic. The important thing is that you play a lot and have fun. The Kala is adorable and will be stress-free, but if you are happier with the sound of your Pono or Kamaka you can find a way to make that work.

FWIW, +1 for a risa stick. I've traveled the US with one, and it's fun to tell the TSA screener, "it's a ukulele." So far, the screeners' only response has been to smile.

I travel with my Kamaka all the time but I don't leave it sitting in a hot car all day long. Are you looking for a uke to just leave in the trunk of a car?
No, trying to be reasonable about it. I figure if it's moderate temps, and a short outing, I'd cover it and leave it in the back seat. I suppose I could throw in a backpack for longer stops. Another vote for the Kala. A soprano'd be smaller. I might even get to like playing a sop again........

I take either my Kanilea or my KoAloha on every trip with me. And as a consequence, it never gets left in the car. So if it is not inside my hotel room, I take it inside restaurants, shopping malls, museums, wherever I happen to be going. But it also means that I have one of my two favorite ukes at all times on my trip.

Funnily enough, on my last trip I had my Kanilea and found myself missing my KoAloha. The trip before that, I took my KoAloha and was missing my Kanilea.

But no matter which uke you take, I would probably not leave it in the car to overheat or get stolen.

covering the ukulele with a preferably white cloth (like a linen towel) should keep it from overheating when you leave it in the car. In direct sunlight, the instrument will absorb a lot more heat from the sun than just from being in a warm ambience. same effect as with black leather car seats.

other than that, I'd say get the Kala, it's a bargain and you won't regret it. :)

Fluke or Flea are great for travel. Dont have to worry about warping the neck, they are durable and travel really well, and they sound pretty darn good, too!
My sentiments exactly. Short of that, grab the Kala. Not that I'm offering an excuse to buy another uke or anything. :D As for the taking it everywhere, I'd do that anyway. The uke is a good conversation starter, makes people smile, etc, and gives you something to do if you unexpectedly have to wait somewhere.

I bought one of those kala pineapple's a while ago. Still haven't got it set up right. Action, intonation, both awful. (on mine) Wasn't worth it even if someone were to have given it to me.
Setup isn't an issue if you buy from a reputable dealer that offers it. Thinking of Mike at Uke Republic, and I'm sure there are others!

When i went to Spain didn't want to take my Kamaka or Mya Moe's so i bought a Kala Travel Tenor Uke
it was $200 but worth it. Thin body - easy for travel and doesn't sound half bad at all. Am quite happy
with it. If it were a short trip might consider taking the other Ukes but for harder travel definitely the
travel uke is great.

I travel with my Fluke. It's a great instrument and durable. If you are going o purchase an instrument for travel I would highly recommend.

I will travel with my tenor pineapple flea,and leave my good ones at home,but can appreciate those that have the courage to take their good ones traveling.

covering the ukulele with a preferably white cloth (like a linen towel) should keep it from overheating when you leave it in the car. In direct sunlight, the instrument will absorb a lot more heat from the sun than just from being in a warm ambience. same effect as with black leather car seats.

other than that, I'd say get the Kala, it's a bargain and you won't regret it. :)

I carry one of those Mylar space blankets in all my vehicles just in case I need to leave an instrument in it. For just ukes, you could cut one and split it between several vehicles. I first started using them when I had to keep my upright bass in a station wagon in August while camping at a Bluegrass festival.

Bill

Top Bottom