PDA

View Full Version : Please remove me from the UU

spookefoote
10-14-2012, 12:24 AM
I would like to formally request that my membership from the UU is terminated. Please could this be done as soon as possible.

A fond farewell to all the friends I have made and please enjoy any of the videos I have posted or will post in the future on my youtube channel.

joeybug
10-14-2012, 12:26 AM
What?! What happened? You can PM me if you don't want it to be public!

I'll miss you, you're a cool guy! :(

P.S Can I have your YT so I can sub and keep up with what you do?

kvehe
10-14-2012, 12:50 AM
No, no, no!!!

mm stan
10-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Aloha Spooke,
Oh no man...sorry to hear you want to go...is there anything I can do man....PM me your contact so I can keep in touch...hope all is well...I am not sure what prompted you to this
point and request...you have been a good friend...please leave your You tube and Fb contacts...a fond aloha and farewell hopefully for a short time Take Care and Good wishes...YF Stan
Many of you who have not met Spooke, he is an awesome guy with wit smarts and a generally warm hearted guy...here is a video of him...go to 4:30 and see him on the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TliXnOtVWZg&feature=relmfu

bazmaz
10-14-2012, 12:59 AM
eh? Why?

Dont like to see anyone leave UU

kissing
10-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Please tell me you looked at the calendar wrong. You're a bit late for April fools..

Hippie Dribble
10-14-2012, 02:27 AM
please spookey...

NO!!!

surely my dear friend this isn't about the comment in that thread??? Gotta be something else, surely. Whatever it is brother, I hope it's done with soon and you're not long gone. Besides, we haven't caught up for pancakes yet. :p Anyway, my eye will be on your yooktoob channel in the interim. Thanks for all the laughs, wit and wisdom thus far mate...

000Kanaka000
10-14-2012, 02:43 AM
Whatever you choose to do you are wished well. Life changes along the way. Sorry to see you leaving the forum.

fitncrafty
10-14-2012, 02:57 AM
Wishing you the best...

barefootgypsy
10-14-2012, 03:23 AM
Just - don't go. Eh? You'll be missed. Just adding my voice......

coolkayaker1
10-14-2012, 04:46 AM
I give spooke credit. He is taking charge of his life, cutting irrelevant online "chatter" time, and likely going to seriously accomplish something in life.

Applause.

kissing
10-14-2012, 04:50 AM
And meanwhile the rest of us are..?

coolkayaker1
10-14-2012, 04:54 AM
And meanwhile the rest of us are..?

Still sucking pondwater. Right.

joeybug
10-14-2012, 05:14 AM

Wow, that's rather insulting...

Dan Uke
10-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Good luck Spookefoote!!

This is just an online forum so being insulted or feeling loved in most cases is a matter of interpretation of what people put down in words, which can be misleading at times.

I give spooke credit. He is taking charge of his life, cutting irrelevant online "chatter" time, and likely going to seriously accomplish something in life.

Applause.

As for Coolkayaker1, very poignant comment...Reality bites!

Applause

consitter
10-14-2012, 06:32 AM
Why announce you're leaving? Just PM a mod and post no more.

Pukulele Pete
10-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Wow, that's rather insulting...

Hey , ......... I like pondwater.

Pukulele Pete
10-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Finally going to take care of that spooky foot ?

Paul December
10-14-2012, 07:15 AM

"Sucking Pondwater" was the name of my band back in High School.

kaizersoza
10-14-2012, 08:36 AM
thanx for some great videos Spook, admired your way man, be lucky

barefootgypsy
10-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Still sucking pondwater. Right.That's the biggest laugh I've had today - still laughing out loud - love it! I too have serious misgivings about the virtual world.... especially facebook. But I'm not diverting the thread.... spookefoote, good luck, whatever you do!

barefootgypsy
10-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Why announce you're leaving? Just PM a mod and post no more.Why post this post? ???

mikelz777
10-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Why post this post? ???

It's a legitimate question. I'm guessing it implies that the original poster is making the announcement more for the attention it may generate more so than for a genuine desire to discontinue a membership with UU which could have been accomplished in silence with no fanfare of any kind.

webby
10-14-2012, 11:44 AM
seeing as we still have no idea what was behind his decision to go we are just speculating, but the comment about needing to cut out the online chatter and get on with life was an interesting one.

A couple of times over the last 15 years or so I have completely walked away from the internet in a social context and closed all my online memberships and accounts, the last time I didn't turn on a computer for 4 years and just threw myself into hard work and family time. In that period I made a lot of money (enough for me to have not had to work at all for the last 4 years and still have a huge chunk left).

So I do feel that my experience has shown me that yes the online world is very seductive, luxurious, decadent and pretty distracting from practical reality, I feel it is getting close to the time where again I will walk away from the chatter and dross of self indulgent egocentric waffling that social media tends to lead to, just looking through my recent facebook news feed confirms the pathetic nonsense levels are reaching a peak again.

So I too think it's almost time to end my membership of not only this but a few other online forums and chat boards as well as the evil FB, I guess I can only justify burning up coal powered electricity to watch people I don't know discuss over and over again what set of strings to use on their 80 dollar plywood toys that they can't play for so long before my conscience gets he better of me and I have to go and become involved in my local community and real life again.

Hmmmmm, interesting day....

Phooto
10-14-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't think accounts are deleted anyway, you just stop posting if you don't want to take part any more.

Hippie Dribble
10-14-2012, 11:54 AM
It's a legitimate question. I'm guessing it implies that the original poster is making the announcement more for the attention it may generate more so than for a genuine desire to discontinue a membership with UU which could have been accomplished in silence with no fanfare of any kind.
there are two kinds of people, those who need closure...

consitter
10-14-2012, 12:03 PM
there are two kinds of people, those who need closure...

And then there's me.

Hippie Dribble
10-14-2012, 12:11 PM
seeing as we still have no idea what was behind his decision to go we are just speculating, but the comment about needing to cut out the online chatter and get on with life was an interesting one.

A couple of times over the last 15 years or so I have completely walked away from the internet in a social context and closed all my online memberships and accounts, the last time I didn't turn on a computer for 4 years and just threw myself into hard work and family time. In that period I made a lot of money (enough for me to have not had to work at all for the last 4 years and still have a huge chunk left).

So I do feel that my experience has shown me that yes the online world is very seductive, luxurious, decadent and pretty distracting from practical reality, I feel it is getting close to the time where again I will walk away from the chatter and dross of self indulgent egocentric waffling that social media tends to lead to, just looking through my recent facebook news feed confirms the pathetic nonsense levels are reaching a peak again.

So I too think it's almost time to end my membership of not only this but a few other online forums and chat boards as well as the evil FB, I guess I can only justify burning up coal powered electricity to watch people I don't know discuss over and over again what set of strings to use on their 80 dollar plywood toys that they can't play for so long before my conscience gets he better of me and I have to go and become involved in my local community and real life again.

I know why he has left and yeah, an interesting day for sure, but moreso a sad one.

From what I know of spookey and his understated ways, this is no attention seeking act as Mikelz777 has suggested, but a very deliberate decision made after some thought. I too, hope he will reconsider. But his reason for the post to me is just a person saying, "it's over and I simply want to make it formal. I want to cut ties and public association with the forum". While one still has an account name and public profile one is still tied, in a sense.

I agree with your point about social media, but my response is - in relation to UU specifically - why can't one have a balance between both: as between active community participation and some down-time to chill out talking about an instrument we love and the paraphernalia that goes with it? This forum does serve a practical community need, that is, to learn and grow at playing the ukulele. I'm guessing thousands of people have been helped by this site since it's inception. I just don't see why it has to be all or nothing with this stuff. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, just strike a healthy balance and enjoy the best of both worlds.

As far as the remark about "what set of strings to use on their 80 dollar plywood toys that they can't play" goes. Well, again you can take two approaches eh...offer some positive, practical advice based on your own knowledge and thereby be part of the solution, or you can whinge and moan about it. That choice is yours, and you can make it by pressing a button.

mm stan
10-14-2012, 12:37 PM
+1 Eugene..
Why throw spooke under the bus again....he merely wanted to formally say goodbye...while most of you can make assumptions of his decision and slam the door behind as he leaves...and wonder
why he left..As Eugene has stated, UU has helped so many on their way to become better ukers...and better people to me...You cannot discount that, any many have made true friendships here.. UU is way more than just about the ukulele, if you feel the need to go back in the real world as you state, do so.. so I ask myself about mankind and the decisions they make towards others..So I ask, WHERE IS YOUR HEART AND BRAIN, AND WHO ARE YOU REALLY???? the learning process never ends, when somesone says it has no apparent value on line or real life..he/she is a fool.

AKuker
10-14-2012, 12:39 PM
I know why he has left and yeah, an interesting day for sure, but moreso a sad one.

From what I know of spookey and his understated ways, this is no attention seeking act as Mikelz777 has suggested, but a very deliberate decision made after some thought. I too, hope he will reconsider. But his reason for the post to me is just a person saying, "it's over and I simply want to make it formal. I want to cut ties and public association with the forum". While one still has an account name and public profile one is still tied, in a sense.

I agree with your point about social media, but my response is - in relation to UU specifically - why can't one have a balance between both: as between active community participation and some down-time to chill out talking about an instrument we love and the paraphernalia that goes with it? This forum does serve a practical community need, that is, to learn and grow at playing the ukulele. I'm guessing thousands of people have been helped by this site since it's inception. I just don't see why it has to be all or nothing with this stuff. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, just strike a healthy balance and enjoy the best of both worlds.

As far as the remark about "what set of strings to use on their 80 dollar plywood toys that they can't play" goes. Well, again you can take two approaches eh...offer some positive, practical advice based on your own knowledge and thereby be part of the solution, or you can whinge and moan about it. That choice is yours, and you can make it by pressing a button.

Well said, Jon. Thanks.

Markr1
10-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks from me too Jon and Stan.

ukuloonie
10-14-2012, 12:47 PM
We will be here for you mate when you come back.
Good luck and we'll miss ya.

000Kanaka000
10-14-2012, 01:09 PM
OK what is the **real** world ? Enjoying Ukelele and a forum
can be just as real as any other endeavor. It's all where the head
is with these things.

Whatever his reason for leaving am sure it seems to be the valid
one in this moment at least for him. i am not living his life they
are his choices for what doors to walk through and which ones to
close and when.

+1 Eugene..
Why throw spooke under the bus again....he merely wanted to formally say goodbye...while most of you can make assumptions of his decision and slam the door behind as he leaves...and wonder
why he left..As Eugene has stated, UU has helped so many on their way to become better ukers...and better people to me...You cannot discount that, any many have made true friendships here.. UU is way more than just about the ukulele, if you feel the need to go back in the real world as you state, do so.. so I ask myself about mankind and the decisions they make towards others..So I ask, WHERE IS YOUR HEART AND BRAIN, AND WHO ARE YOU REALLY???? the learning process never ends, when somesone says it has no apparent value on line or real life..he/she is a fool.

vanflynn
10-14-2012, 01:29 PM
I enjoy your instructional vids on you tube and your contributions here.

Aloha, peace and well wishes. Hope to cross paths again.

buddhuu
10-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Those of you who want to wish Spookefoote well, thanks for posting. We are always sorry to see members leave.

Those of you who seem to feel the need to take a cheap shot or make smartass suggestions about how someone should take their leave... are you in the right forum? Seriously, you think anyone read your comment and thought "Heck, I'm glad that genius pointed that out to me"?

pulelehua
10-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Spookefoote, as far as I can tell, mine was the last post to which you replied, closing with "I'm outta here". If it was my post which caused you to leave, I'm sorry. It was part of a lively discussion, and I certainly wasn't calling any individuals out in any way, just trying to add a note of caution to the proceedings. If what I said came across as overly aggressive or directed, I'm sorry. I've always valued your insights and your humour. I hope you choose to return in the near future. You can't have too many voices from Lancashire (my grandfather was from Liverpool). :)

OldePhart
10-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Seriously, you think anyone read your comment and thought "Heck, I'm glad that genius pointed that out to me"?

BWAAA-HAAAA. Well put. The whole "goodbye I'm outta here" final post is pretty common in some places and I've always felt it was a little silly - but you're quite right that the post to inform all us dummies how we should interpret the farewell post is even sillier.

I think Jim Morrison said it best..."People are strange..." (self included).

I walked away from one instrument-related forum a few years ago when I realized how much time I was wasting trying to help people who genuinely weren't looking for help. I didn't feel any need to say goodbye, but everybody knows I'm antisocial anyway. LOL

John

Plainsong
10-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Spookefoote, as far as I can tell, mine was the last post to which you replied, closing with "I'm outta here". If it was my post which caused you to leave, I'm sorry. It was part of a lively discussion, and I certainly wasn't calling any individuals out in any way, just trying to add a note of caution to the proceedings. If what I said came across as overly aggressive or directed, I'm sorry. I've always valued your insights and your humour. I hope you choose to return in the near future. You can't have too many voices from Lancashire (my grandfather was from Liverpool). :)

Yes, and your note of caution was ill thought out. Not liking a vocal style != racism. Especially when the style is wrongly applied by people who are no students of it. Not even close to racism. That was such an over- the-top suggestion that it went mostly ignored. Just like when you had a go at Brittany for selling on UU, when you do the same freaking thing, then wrap it up with a smiley face like that makes it ok. She didn't think it was, why would you?

It's just another example of your trolling. Spookefoot, he REALLY isn't worth it. Just add him to the ignore list and be done with him.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Good strumming, spookefoot. If you've ever got a question about uke strings, be sure to come on back, okay? ;)

NatalieS
10-14-2012, 03:10 PM
I get sad when people have a bad experience on UU. Whatever happened is none of my business, but I'm sorry to see you go.

nscafe
10-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Amen to this Jon. Well said.

Phooto
10-14-2012, 08:18 PM
You can't have too many voices from Lancashire (my grandfather was from Liverpool). :)
Of course Liverpool is not part of Lancashire any more, since it was exiled to Merseyside! :rolleyes:

pulelehua
10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Yes, and your note of caution was ill thought out. Not liking a vocal style != racism. Especially when the style is wrongly applied by people who are no students of it. Not even close to racism. That was such an over- the-top suggestion that it went mostly ignored. Just like when you had a go at Brittany for selling on UU, when you do the same freaking thing, then wrap it up with a smiley face like that makes it ok. She didn't think it was, why would you?

It's just another example of your trolling. Spookefoot, he REALLY isn't worth it. Just add him to the ignore list and be done with him.

The Brittni thing was a joke. If you didn't get that at the time, you didn't get that. Am I supposed to be apologising for that, too, now? Again? Honestly. When does this get to become an attack on me for unrelated things from months ago?

And as for the whole black American culture thing, I explained that. Or tried. Maybe badly. But I tried.

Thanks. Or maybe this is "trolling" as well. Could have sworn I was trying to contribute. Which clearly isn't welcome in all corners.

buddhuu
10-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Points made, I think. If you two want to carry on flogging it, please do so by PM.

Thanks.

good_uke_boy
10-15-2012, 04:58 AM
http://www.scorpexuke.com/songs/Secret__o_Life_James_Taylor.pdf.php

coolkayaker1
10-15-2012, 06:45 AM
This is highly interesting, webby. I see your thoughts and can see what you have experienced as valuable. Makes me wonder about same for me. I already avoid social media, no Facebook, or other timesinks.

I know of another UU member, one of my UU "friends" and quite popular on here, and she is doing something similar right now. Hmmm.

Fodder for thought, certainly. A means to accomplish more and uncomplicate life. Many will say the internet is their method of learning and relaxation--which can be true. But, conversely, it can be an eternal abyss -- a sinkhole, if you will--worse than the "boob tube" could ever hope to be.

Life passes rather quickly, and is the web the best use of one's time today?

Thanks for making me think, webby.

frankiefirefox
10-15-2012, 06:48 AM
Could we close this thread already? This crap is the exact opposite of why we all love the UU.

pootsie
10-15-2012, 06:50 AM
http://www.mattcutts.com/images/duty_calls.png

coolkayaker1
10-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Could we close this thread already? This crap is the exact opposite of why we all love the UU.

Thank you for your input, internet police.

Suggestion: while people still have things to say about it--nice or thought-provoking things--you might just stop reading the thread. Work for you?

coolkayaker1
10-15-2012, 07:18 AM
http://www.mattcutts.com/images/duty_calls.png

That's hilarious! So true, eh.

molokinirum
10-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Ohhhh Noooooo!!!!
Hey Spooke, gonna miss you around here and I wish all the best in whatever you do.
It was a pleasure knowing and conversing with you as well as watching your videos!!
Take care!!!!

barefootgypsy
10-15-2012, 07:49 AM
http://www.mattcutts.com/images/duty_calls.pngLove it - that's brilliant!

Phooto
10-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Moreover, has anyone actually learned anything from this?
Has the OP been asked for their reasons?
Does anyone actually know what was the reason?
Maybe the OP just wanted to leave, there was no fault of anyone here, they just wanted to leave in a blaze of speculation and drama?

buddhuu
10-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Or maybe that was not what the OP wanted. None of this speculation is helpful.

Here's hoping the OP will stick around.

Enough now.