Might be a daft question about Baritone ukes / GCEA tuning...

Phooto

Reaction score
I fancy getting something with a bit more presence and 'punch', so am thinking baritone. however, the DGBE tuning puts me off, as getting more chords in my head might make it explode! Also, I've not heard good things about the wound strings.

So, if I got one, I'd like to re-string to GCEA with a low-G - having put a low-G string on a B&M concert uke very successfully. (This one now has low-G - http://simontaylor.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/barnes-mullins-uk2c-ukulele/)

BUT, it doesn't seem like there's a low-G available for baritone, high gCEA sets are available, but nothing to add a low-G.

Would I simply be better sticking with getting a tenor, (I do want to get an electro-acoustic next time for versatility).

What are people's opinions?

BUT, it doesn't seem like there's a low-G available for baritone, high gCEA sets are available, but nothing to add a low-G.

Southcoast Strings has a low G CGEA set. The G is wound but don't let that put you off. This set is very nice on my mahogany Pono.

You can also use the B and E strings from the DGBE set as the C and E strings in the GCEA setup. All you need then is a little thinner string for the A string. Having said all of this, you ought to just get a set of GCEA Southcoast strings for baritone.

Actually, I think there is a low G single string in the Aquila Red series, the 73U.

I have a set of Aquila strings on one of my Giannini baritones tuned as gCEA. There are single strings for both the third and fourth

Does anyone know what is the "Buy-In " amount needed to become an Aquila dealer?

Thanks all, so it sounds like I can get unwound and a low g from Aquila. Will hopefully make the purchase later today...

I thought the same as you when I bought my baritone,but I've found it very easy to get my head round the differences.It's also very handy to be able to switch back and forth as I can't get a number of chords becuase my fingers just WILL NOT work that way.And for re-entrant tuning,capo the 5th fret and if you want to play slide blues tune the e string down to d for open g...I wouldn't be without mine now!

I have a set of Aquila strings on one of my Giannini baritones tuned as gCEA. There are single strings for both the third and fourth

Does anyone know what is the "Buy-In " amount needed to become an Aquila dealer?

A gCEA set has a high 4th.

To become a dealer and buy in from any major company, you will need to contact their area distributor. You should be able to find this out from the Aquila website.

Send Mimmo a PM here..he is a real nice guy....

The marking gCEA was intended to show I have a low g on my baritone. There are two options for it: the 73u in red, or the 49U, which is the 3rd string of the lower tuning. Strings are available as singled .

Curtis Daily is Aquila USA, and he's about 60 miles north , so shipping is quick and cheap.

The marking gCEA was intended to show I have a low g on my baritone. There are two options for it: the 73u in red, or the 49U, which is the 3rd string of the lower tuning. Strings are available as singled .

Curtis Daily is Aquila USA, and he's about 60 miles north , so shipping is quick and cheap.

gCEA is high G. GCEA is linear low G.

Glad I got the notation right, but I have been saying "Low G CEA" just to make sure.

Discussed this with my favourite supplier and have ordered a Korala cutaway electro-acoustic baritone from Omega Music in the UK. http://omegamusic.co.uk/buy/korala-deluxe-electro-acoustic-cutaway-baritone-ukulele-spruce

Matt there is always very helpful and he's setting it up for me, re-stringing to GCEA with Aquila baritone strings and a low G. I know I could easily do it myself, but I know if there's any problems, they'll sort it for me before sending it. I've bought four ukes from him, and the service and advice has always been excellent.

Got a nasty feeling that Domestic Customs will confiscate the instrument and hold it back until Christmas though! :(

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Top Bottom