Uke Orch. of G.B. - AWESOME Performance

frets alot

Reaction score
I attended the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain's FIRST stop on their U.S. tour last night in Traverse City, MI. I can sum up the concert in one word....AWESOME!

I was amazed by their talent, humor, and showmanship. With the intermission and the encore (2 songs), it lasted just under 2 1/2 hours. They played a great variety of songs, which included singing and instrumentals. I've never before seen an instance where a group simultaneously sang several different songs, and played along...and it sounded great! Each member had a unique role, and you really got to know each of their personalities by the time the concert was 1/2 over. The music was better than I even imagined....how well they sounded together. It was so complete. I attended with my husband and mom and dad (none of which play ukulele) and they were all very impressed. So, you don't have to have an interest in the ukulele to be entertained by the group. I'd go to their concert again in a heartbeat.

We did the "Relentlessly in C" piece. First of all, for this concert, the T.C. ticket office website did not provide the links to the music and how it would all work. So, I'm guessing that that affected the number of people who brought ukes. So, it wasn't as good as it could have been. But, there were of a number of us who did bring their ukes. I enjoyed it, but wished there had been more audience participation. I think I would have preferred an actual song, too, like they had done in the past (like the "Ode To Joy" concert piece I saw on YouTube). But, it was fun and I can actually say that I played with the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.

If you've been to one of their concerts, I think you can appreciate my comments here. If you haven't, you need to seek out one of their concerts on their U.S. Tour and plan to go. If you already are planning to attend and have tickets, you are in for a show! You'll love it. If you don't love them, then,....well,....I guess you need to seek some group help :). Just kidding.....you won't regret attending one of their scheduled performances. Have fun.....I did. ;) :rock:

Last edited:
I saw them about a month ago at the Royal Albert Hall, and again last monday - even getting them to sign one of my ukes, which now takes pride of place in my home.

IMG_1954.jpg

Yes they are excellent - and by the way not to be mistaken with the impostor "United Kingdom Ukulele Orchestra" who pass themselves off as the UOGB and defraud the Germans! They're nothing like as good as the UOGB.

I was there!! I had left my uke at the hotel because I couldn't find any confirmation of a play along and didn't want to drag my uke around in that rain. :( I was chatting with the theater manager and she was very apologetic about not getting the word out. Apparently, she didn't even know until Monday and at that point, only the people who called in for tickets were informed to bring ukes. If they play there again, she said she will be more diligent on the matter and send out an email to people who bought ticket. I was disappointed about not knowing, but that was mostly with myself. I'm pretty sure no one is ever going to stop someone from bringing a uke to a uke show.

That aside, the show was AMAZING!!! Totally worth the nearly 8 hour drive it took to get there.

Jennifer,
I had talked to the manager on the phone....I pressed the issue with her. So, she said she'd check. She called me back on that Monday and said, yes, bring your uke. I told her to put it on the website....she never did. I think they dropped the ball on that one. But the City Opera House did put on a great show otherwise and all the staff there were super. The venue was first rate and beautiful. I guess lesson learned.

I am looking forward to their concert in April. I should have plenty of time to learn "Relentlessly in C".

– Lori

I am so jealous!!! I'm glad you took your uke, though, since I know that originally it appeared that there wouldn't be an audience participation segment.

OMG!! OMG!! Thanks to Lori's post, I checked out their schedule and see that they will be in Overland Park, KS on Saturday 04/20/13. That's just a four-hour drive for me!! I'm going!!

Last edited:
I am so jealous!!! I'm glad you took your uke, though, since I know that originally it appeared that there wouldn't be an audience participation segment.

OMG!! OMG!! Thanks to Lori's post, I checked out their schedule and see that they will be in Overland Park, KS on Saturday 04/20/13. That's just a four-hour drive for me!! I'm going!!

Kathryn, yes, you've gotta go!
Glad to hear you'll have a chance.

Sounds like a great show. The play-along part sounds awesome!

Wish they were coming to Music City.

Sounds like a great time! I am so bummed out, they are coming to NYC this Wednesday, but I just can't afford the tickets or the gas, so I am just not going. I really hope to be able to go sometime, maybe next year. They seem like a must-see show.

Saw them tonight in Lansing. Good show. :)

Great show in Traverse City! I had a lot of fun. Luckily I had my ukulele in the car so when I got there and saw there was a playalong, I was able to go back to get it. I have been enjoying listening to them on youtube for a while now, but nothing beats seeing them live. Totally worth the drive!

Jennifer,
I had talked to the manager on the phone....I pressed the issue with her. So, she said she'd check. She called me back on that Monday and said, yes, bring your uke. I told her to put it on the website....she never did. I think they dropped the ball on that one. But the City Opera House did put on a great show otherwise and all the staff there were super. The venue was first rate and beautiful. I guess lesson learned.

Well that just sucks! I thought she was super nice and just wasn't familiar with UOGB but now I see they just didn't follow through. If it was on the website, I would have brought my uke. The thing that makes it really bad is how the people working the theater were asking just about everyone why they didn't bring a uke. DUH! Cuz no one knew! Oh well, the show was still more than worth it. Next time, I 'll bring I'll know to bring my uke no matter what.

I am looking forward to their concert in April. I should have plenty of time to learn "Relentlessly in C".

– Lori

Just play "C". :)

Can you tell me if it is okay to bring in a gig bag? Did you see anyone with them in cases?

Most of the people who brought ukes had them in cases...including me. Unless the venue you are attending has weird security rules, you should be ok to bring it in a case. I took my Kala Thinline Tenor, with its gigbag.

Last edited:
Lots of people brought cases in Lansing. Only bring one, though. Some people wayyyy overpacked. It's an auditorium, not a jam where you can spread out. Personally I was fine with soprano and case but if I brought my tenor I would have wanted to skip the case.

Well that just sucks! I thought she was super nice and just wasn't familiar with UOGB but now I see they just didn't follow through. If it was on the website, I would have brought my uke. The thing that makes it really bad is how the people working the theater were asking just about everyone why they didn't bring a uke. DUH! Cuz no one knew! Oh well, the show was still more than worth it. Next time, I 'll bring I'll know to bring my uke no matter what.

Jennifer, to make matters worse, the manager emailed me the music and the instructions, which is what is posted on every other venues' sites. I told her that that is what she should post to their website. They never did.

Funny how most of the conversation here is about going there to play the uke and the disappointment thereof.

I thought it was about going to hear how the UOGB play? ;)

Funny how most of the conversation here is about going there to play the uke and the disappointment thereof.

I thought it was about going to hear how the UOGB play? ;)

Hearing them will be awesome, and a good experience is a given. Playing WITH them is a once in a lifetime chance :D

Top Bottom