PDA

View Full Version : Uke Orch. of G.B. - AWESOME Performance

frets alot
10-14-2012, 08:41 AM
I attended the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain's FIRST stop on their U.S. tour last night in Traverse City, MI. I can sum up the concert in one word....AWESOME!

I was amazed by their talent, humor, and showmanship. With the intermission and the encore (2 songs), it lasted just under 2 1/2 hours. They played a great variety of songs, which included singing and instrumentals. I've never before seen an instance where a group simultaneously sang several different songs, and played along...and it sounded great! Each member had a unique role, and you really got to know each of their personalities by the time the concert was 1/2 over. The music was better than I even imagined....how well they sounded together. It was so complete. I attended with my husband and mom and dad (none of which play ukulele) and they were all very impressed. So, you don't have to have an interest in the ukulele to be entertained by the group. I'd go to their concert again in a heartbeat.

We did the "Relentlessly in C" piece. First of all, for this concert, the T.C. ticket office website did not provide the links to the music and how it would all work. So, I'm guessing that that affected the number of people who brought ukes. So, it wasn't as good as it could have been. But, there were of a number of us who did bring their ukes. I enjoyed it, but wished there had been more audience participation. I think I would have preferred an actual song, too, like they had done in the past (like the "Ode To Joy" concert piece I saw on YouTube). But, it was fun and I can actually say that I played with the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.

If you've been to one of their concerts, I think you can appreciate my comments here. If you haven't, you need to seek out one of their concerts on their U.S. Tour and plan to go. If you already are planning to attend and have tickets, you are in for a show! You'll love it. If you don't love them, then,....well,....I guess you need to seek some group help :). Just kidding.....you won't regret attending one of their scheduled performances. Have fun.....I did. ;) :rock:

Phooto
10-14-2012, 08:55 AM
I saw them about a month ago at the Royal Albert Hall, and again last monday - even getting them to sign one of my ukes, which now takes pride of place in my home.

Yes they are excellent - and by the way not to be mistaken with the impostor "United Kingdom Ukulele Orchestra" who pass themselves off as the UOGB and defraud the Germans! They're nothing like as good as the UOGB.

Jinxi
10-14-2012, 10:08 AM
I was there!! I had left my uke at the hotel because I couldn't find any confirmation of a play along and didn't want to drag my uke around in that rain. :( I was chatting with the theater manager and she was very apologetic about not getting the word out. Apparently, she didn't even know until Monday and at that point, only the people who called in for tickets were informed to bring ukes. If they play there again, she said she will be more diligent on the matter and send out an email to people who bought ticket. I was disappointed about not knowing, but that was mostly with myself. I'm pretty sure no one is ever going to stop someone from bringing a uke to a uke show.

That aside, the show was AMAZING!!! Totally worth the nearly 8 hour drive it took to get there.

frets alot
10-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Jennifer,
I had talked to the manager on the phone....I pressed the issue with her. So, she said she'd check. She called me back on that Monday and said, yes, bring your uke. I told her to put it on the website....she never did. I think they dropped the ball on that one. But the City Opera House did put on a great show otherwise and all the staff there were super. The venue was first rate and beautiful. I guess lesson learned.

Lori
10-14-2012, 10:38 AM
I am looking forward to their concert in April. I should have plenty of time to learn "Relentlessly in C".

– Lori

kvehe
10-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I am so jealous!!! I'm glad you took your uke, though, since I know that originally it appeared that there wouldn't be an audience participation segment.

OMG!! OMG!! Thanks to Lori's post, I checked out their schedule and see that they will be in Overland Park, KS on Saturday 04/20/13. That's just a four-hour drive for me!! I'm going!!

Gforeman
10-14-2012, 12:10 PM
I can't wait. Going next weekend in MD. They are doing "Ode to Joy" audience participation (at least that is what is posted and the venue's site).

http://www.strathmore.org/education/series/view.asp?id=10102298

frets alot
10-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I am so jealous!!! I'm glad you took your uke, though, since I know that originally it appeared that there wouldn't be an audience participation segment.

OMG!! OMG!! Thanks to Lori's post, I checked out their schedule and see that they will be in Overland Park, KS on Saturday 04/20/13. That's just a four-hour drive for me!! I'm going!!

Kathryn, yes, you've gotta go!
Glad to hear you'll have a chance.

Steedy
10-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Sounds like a great show. The play-along part sounds awesome!

Wish they were coming to Music City.

jamz
10-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Sounds like a great time! I am so bummed out, they are coming to NYC this Wednesday, but I just can't afford the tickets or the gas, so I am just not going. I really hope to be able to go sometime, maybe next year. They seem like a must-see show.

Freeda
10-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Saw them tonight in Lansing. Good show. :)

Mandalyn
10-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Great show in Traverse City! I had a lot of fun. Luckily I had my ukulele in the car so when I got there and saw there was a playalong, I was able to go back to get it. I have been enjoying listening to them on youtube for a while now, but nothing beats seeing them live. Totally worth the drive!

Jinxi
10-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Jennifer,
I had talked to the manager on the phone....I pressed the issue with her. So, she said she'd check. She called me back on that Monday and said, yes, bring your uke. I told her to put it on the website....she never did. I think they dropped the ball on that one. But the City Opera House did put on a great show otherwise and all the staff there were super. The venue was first rate and beautiful. I guess lesson learned.

Well that just sucks! I thought she was super nice and just wasn't familiar with UOGB but now I see they just didn't follow through. If it was on the website, I would have brought my uke. The thing that makes it really bad is how the people working the theater were asking just about everyone why they didn't bring a uke. DUH! Cuz no one knew! Oh well, the show was still more than worth it. Next time, I 'll bring I'll know to bring my uke no matter what.

I am looking forward to their concert in April. I should have plenty of time to learn "Relentlessly in C".

– Lori

Just play "C". :)

Gforeman
10-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Can you tell me if it is okay to bring in a gig bag? Did you see anyone with them in cases?

frets alot
10-15-2012, 04:31 AM
Can you tell me if it is okay to bring in a gig bag? Did you see anyone with them in cases?

Most of the people who brought ukes had them in cases...including me. Unless the venue you are attending has weird security rules, you should be ok to bring it in a case. I took my Kala Thinline Tenor, with its gigbag.

Freeda
10-15-2012, 04:33 AM
Lots of people brought cases in Lansing. Only bring one, though. Some people wayyyy overpacked. It's an auditorium, not a jam where you can spread out. Personally I was fine with soprano and case but if I brought my tenor I would have wanted to skip the case.

frets alot
10-15-2012, 04:48 AM
Well that just sucks! I thought she was super nice and just wasn't familiar with UOGB but now I see they just didn't follow through. If it was on the website, I would have brought my uke. The thing that makes it really bad is how the people working the theater were asking just about everyone why they didn't bring a uke. DUH! Cuz no one knew! Oh well, the show was still more than worth it. Next time, I 'll bring I'll know to bring my uke no matter what.

Jennifer, to make matters worse, the manager emailed me the music and the instructions, which is what is posted on every other venues' sites. I told her that that is what she should post to their website. They never did.

Phooto
10-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Funny how most of the conversation here is about going there to play the uke and the disappointment thereof.

I thought it was about going to hear how the UOGB play? ;)

Gforeman
10-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Funny how most of the conversation here is about going there to play the uke and the disappointment thereof.

Hearing them will be awesome, and a good experience is a given. Playing WITH them is a once in a lifetime chance :D

Phooto
10-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Hearing them will be awesome, and a good experience is a given. Playing WITH them is a once in a lifetime chance :D

Fair comment. So pleased with my encounter last week, something to keep for a lifetime!

KamakOzzie
10-15-2012, 08:02 AM
I can't wait. Going next weekend in MD. They are doing "Ode to Joy" audience participation (at least that is what is posted and the venue's site).

http://www.strathmore.org/education/series/view.asp?id=10102298

Gforeman, thanks SOOO much for posting this !! I just ordered my tickets.
My band has the weekend off, so I am able to go. I even talked my wife into going with me:o. It looks like a little over three hours from here. We will be in the second orchestra section. I guess you will be somewhere in front of us.

Now, should I bring one of my best ukes, or something less valuable?

Bill

Jinxi
10-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Well said, both of you. My apologies for getting off track. I meant the first comment to be a cautionary tale for those debating on taking a uke then got caught up with being irritated at the manager.

@Bill, one person in my group brought along one of his less valuable ukes for the orchestra to sign. I thought that was brilliant.

Phooto
10-15-2012, 09:35 AM
@Bill, one person in my group brought along one of his less valuable ukes for the orchestra to sign. I thought that was brilliant.
Got mine signed last Monday at the Aldershot concert, see the pic at the beginning of this thread. :)

frets alot
10-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Whether one takes their uke or not, it's an awesome performance. Jennifer...your posts were fine...no problem as far as I was concerned, being I was the OP.

Gforeman
10-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Now, should I bring one of my best ukes, or something less valuable?

Bill

I'm bringing my Ovation, not too expensive.

Lori
10-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Got mine signed last Monday at the Aldershot concert, see the pic at the beginning of this thread. :)

Can't wait to see them in person. I just got the DVD documentary Ukes Down Under(Indiegogo funded), and enjoyed it very much. Feature runs about an hour. It follows them on tour in Australia. http://litmusfilms.com/currentprojects-theukesdownunder.aspx

I will bring my autograph uke (dolphin blue burst already has Jake and James Hill on it).

–Lori

krabbers
10-15-2012, 11:21 AM

i have played with a few of them a couple of times, at The English Folk Dance and Song Society's headquarters, Cecil Sharp House in Camden, they ran some workshops back 2006ish i think, they are superbly talented. and nice too.

krabbers
10-15-2012, 11:29 AM

bring it down to the jam on tuesday, we could raffle it off. what did you use as ink? i could do with all the unplugthewood lot signing the house bass

(phooto is one of the regulars down at our jam and open mic night. hes the good looking chap on the left with a ukulele in this screen grab)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-c617rcTCw

Phooto
10-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Used Sharpie pens, on the black uke, got some silver ones. If it's a black bass, I'll bring you one.

And no, Snowy will NOT be raffled off. 1) is my first uke, 2) even more special now it's signed!

Jinxi
10-15-2012, 11:41 AM

That is one good looking uke!!

Phooto
10-15-2012, 11:48 AM
That is one good looking uke!!
Thanks, was a cheapo, replaced the strings with Aquilas, then (mostly) moved on to concert ukes. Now it's signed, this one is officially retired! :)

krabbers
10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Used Sharpie pens, on the black uke, got some silver ones. If it's a black bass, I'll bring you one.

And no, Snowy will NOT be raffled off. 1) is my first uke, 2) even more special now it's signed!

snowy? lol i have a uke called Wilson, after the dog in friday night dinner. only joking about the raffle, we are already over doing it with the cheap wine.
you down tomorrow?

anyways back to the UOGB, the do an awesome version of the good the bad and the ugly. they build it up, you dont see it coming till its to late

Phooto
10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
All my ukes have names, Snowy, Snoopy, Woody, Alby, Chalky and I think the new Baritone will be called Barry...

Nothing odd with that. See you tomorrow. I may be doing one that the UOGB did last week in the open mic...

krabbers
10-15-2012, 12:08 PM
All my ukes have names, Snowy, Snoopy, Woody, Alby, Chalky and I think the new Baritone will be called Barry...

Nothing odd with that. See you tomorrow. I may be doing one that the UOGB did last week in the open mic...

all mine have names now as of about 5 minutes ago, Captain Flack Pugh, Pugh,[The Twins] Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub...thats the first shelf. tinky winky dipsy lala poo...thats the brown one, i have to come up with 15 other names. look what you have started.

Jinxi
10-15-2012, 12:14 PM
snowy? lol i have a uke called Wilson, after the dog in friday night dinner. only joking about the raffle, we are already over doing it with the cheap wine.
you down tomorrow?

anyways back to the UOGB, the do an awesome version of the good the bad and the ugly. they build it up, you dont see it coming till its to late

I really enjoyed how they handled Handel (see what I did there) and also liked "Anarchy in the U.K" but I'm pretty sure at the beginning I was the only one in my row singing along. ;)

My ukes are Totoro, Catbus, Wicked Wench and Mononoke. ;)

Pondoro
10-15-2012, 04:45 PM
I was very impressed by the show, I had watched them many times on YouTube but they were so much better in person.

I brought my Lanikai, cheap but sentimental, and had them sign it. That uke has been all around the world with me, carried on in a bag or just stuffed in between my shirts in a checked bag. Now it has the UOGB's autographs on it, and I threw my used ticket through the sound hole. I'll still play it from time to time but I think it will hang on the wall most of the time.

Several of us traveled 500 miles one way from the Dayton/Cincinnati area and it was worth it. I met a guy from Nebraska and another from Texas. What a fun evening/weekend it turned out to be!

jalapeno
10-17-2012, 05:37 AM
they played princeton last night... fun times! really amazing and eclectically random set. here's a photo of us with peter... he was gigantic!

44189 44188

Gforeman
10-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Is Kitty Lux not with them? She is hilarious.

jalapeno
10-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Is Kitty Lux not with them? She is hilarious.

for whatever reason, she wasn't there.

GinnyT11
10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
For those who haven't seen them, here's an article about them coming to Carnegie Hall, with some YouTubes of their videos: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/the-ukulele-orchestra-of-_n_1973965.html#slide=1648574

glass
10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
they played princeton last night... fun times! really amazing and eclectically random set. here's a photo of us with peter... he was gigantic!

44189 44188

that was a good show, great times!! And that guy was huge and he played a soprano :wtf:

siauke
10-17-2012, 03:38 PM
In Cerritos? I'll be there!

– Lori

Nickie
10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Can't wait to see them in person. I just got the DVD documentary Ukes Down Under(Indiegogo funded), and enjoyed it very much. Feature runs about an hour. It follows them on tour in Australia. http://litmusfilms.com/currentprojects-theukesdownunder.aspx

I will bring my autograph uke (dolphin blue burst already has Jake and James Hill on it).

–Lori

Lori, I've seen that video too, it's neat. I'm sharing it with some of my buddies in our club. I can't wait to see them this weekend, it's a 5 hour drive, 5 ukenuts carpooling... I'm taking my only uke. I was the only one to take it to Jake's concert here in March, and I'm the only one in the club with his signature. What a geek, huh?

Lori
10-17-2012, 06:06 PM
In Cerritos? I'll be there!
Yes, Cerritos! See you there!

–Lori