PDA

View Full Version : Uke lessons

Normagal
10-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Have you taken actual uke lessons, or have you taught yourself through online lessons?

hawaii 50
10-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Have you taken actual uke lessons, or have you taught yourself through online lessons?

i am a believer in personal lessons..group ones are fun..but i may start private lessons in a couple months..if you have the money and time ..go with the in person lessons..face to face a lot better if you want to get better faster..

Manalishi
10-14-2012, 11:02 PM
I was a lifelong guitarist,who suddenly lost all interest
in guitar following a major illness. Picked up a ukulele
and found that the chord shapes were the same,(but
making a different chord,if you follow!) and it was easy
after that!
Except that the uke is smaller,more portable,goes anywhere
(Unlike a guitar which often needs space) and just as versatile!

frankiefirefox
10-15-2012, 02:43 AM
I started with UU, youtube and books. I needed more personalized help. I live in an area where there are not many uke players, so groups are/were not really an option.

GKK
10-15-2012, 04:25 AM
All people learn differently.

It's difficult for me to learn by books or in group sessions. I prefer learning in my own time and progression with online video tutorials and play-a-longs.

Others may learn more from Music Theory and Group discussion/participation.

jglover
10-15-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm not real good on my own when it comes to learning timing, so I find the group lessons helpful for that. My local store offers a group lesson every week which I find very helpful to reinforce what I'm learning on my own. But, as GKK says, everyone learns differently so a group session may not be for you. I'm fortunate to have group classes at three levels, beginners and a couple of more advanced classes and we can pick and choose which class to attend, so you are not locked into one class. That makes it a very nice environment in which to learn in a group.

SailingUke
10-15-2012, 08:23 AM
I believe group lessons and a lot of PRACTICE is the key.
Playing in a group teaches you timing and some basic musicianship.
Once you get past the basic beginner level and are on that plateau that so many of us seem to dwell, then some private lessons may get you moving up again.
UU, You-tube, DVD's, books are all great resources, but the key is playing.
I have taught classes and am always amazed at the number of folks who only pick up their ukulele is for the class.

Jcollazo
10-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Looked at a chord chart and went from there.

ogg
10-15-2012, 09:14 AM

Self taught from books, and videos. It was a steep learning curve but worth the effort. I just wanted to jam a little with my kids who play other instruments but alas they can't keep up anymore. ;) I love to practice. :cool:

jamz
10-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Jake Shimabukuro is a buddy of mine so he showed me a few things. No, not really. My good friend Liz sent me a uke and some books, I saw some videos on youtube, (Including Jake's!) I have some stringed instrument experience from back in the day, including band work, but that's probably more of a hindrance than a help because I try to play it like a small guitar, which it's not.

Sadly I have not much time in my life for extracurricular stuff, so it's online learning and lots of practice at night. Hoping to go to a monthly uke meetup in Boston starting this week though!

ItsMrPitchy
10-15-2012, 10:35 AM
I learn through watching online videos, tutorials, sheet music and tabs. Never had a ukulele lesson but don't have much choice since there are not many ukulele teachers in my area. I prefer the idea of being self taught though lets we work at my own pace. But hey whatever works for you.

Shastastan
10-15-2012, 12:32 PM
All people learn differently.

It's difficult for me to learn by books or in group sessions. I prefer learning in my own time and progression with online video tutorials and play-a-longs.

Others may learn more from Music Theory and Group discussion/participation.

These are excellent points. I tried some guitar lessons, but my old fingers didn't want to cooperate with guitar. The teacher, a really nice guy, just didn't seem to catch on to my problem and for whatever reason, we just didn't communicate on getting the problem resolved. I dropped out and about 6 months later decided to give the uke a try. At least I can play some strumming stuff now and I feel that there's a chance to learn the uke. If I were to find someone who's teaching uke here, I might take more lessons. Actually group lessons would be more fun for me than private lessons.

kaizersoza
10-15-2012, 12:54 PM
use everything that you have the time and money for, I have used you tube, UU+, private tuition and even started up my own club so as to be able to play with and also help local ukulele players, heres a pic of the band I put together with members of the uke club, we are called UKOHOLIX, we were performing at Gower Cider Festival over the weekend

Bob Bledsoe
10-15-2012, 03:05 PM
I learned mostly from the internet as well as Fretboard Roadmaps. I've started teaching a few people the basics (for free) either in person or via skype. Many people learn better with someone in front of them. I tend to do well on my own but enjoy teaching others.

VaGoddess
10-15-2012, 11:47 PM
I've been learning through books & YouTube until recently...just started private lessons with a uke teacher. Yesterday was actually my first lesson! I'm thinking of doing the private lessons for at least a month to see if it's beneficial.

Normagal
10-16-2012, 12:04 AM
I found a uke club for beginners-unfortunately it's an hour from my home. I went last night-it was so much fun. It's the only one I can find in the area. I've only been at the for a couple of weeks. They were impressed by how much I had learned on my own and that I was willing to drive that far.

LesterPolfus
10-16-2012, 01:51 AM
I'm a former guitarist former bassist, I studied jazz guitar years ago, so I have the basics of putting hands on a fretboard and music theory, I've never had ukulele lessons, I just try to play the songs I like, maybe with someone else playing with me, and make my own exercises inspired by youtube videos, internet lessons, old stuff I used to practise on guitar or bass and so on.. I would like to take serious ukulele lessons one by one with a good teacher but there's no one near my place. Plus, right now in my life it's difficult to be regular. I mean, I have often spare time, but I just can't be regular, with a precise amount of time to exercise every day, the fixed weekly lesson, a study program for the time I exercise and so on..
Maybe a good book can be a good idea for me, but I haven't find a good book which doesn't look like for beginners or for styles and songs I don't like that much yet. I take the opportunity to ask if someone knows something as a book or else with a complete good program of exercises at an interesting level.

MiniSvlad
10-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Hey all... this is actually my first post. I've been watching the videos here on UU for a while. This has been my main source of learning. I do watch some other folks on YouTube from time to time, but UU is the place that I typically go to for help.

I'm thinking about trying out UU+ for a while to see what I can get from that. Anyone else do this? How is it?

Like others... I would love to take some personal lessons, but I'm just not in a place that I can do that on a regular basis. I only have a little bit of time at night to practice and that's not always a regular thing. I do love my Uke though. Cheers!

sukie
10-16-2012, 10:54 AM
I've been learning through books & YouTube until recently...just started private lessons with a uke teacher. Yesterday was actually my first lesson! I'm thinking of doing the private lessons for at least a month to see if it's beneficial.
I've taken private lessons for a long time. They are very beneficial if the teacher is good.
I have found that it's best, at least for me, to have a teacher whose main instrument is an ukulele.

Barbablanca
10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
I learned from all kinds of sources, but I haven't had any actual Uke lessons with a teacher. I think it is possible to get to a competent level without one. Unlike the Fiddle which I started trying to learn a few years back on my own and was about to give up on when a friend recommended lessons. What a difference that made! But I still won't take the fiddle out of the house and play in public - whereas I have no such embarrassment about my Uke playing :cool: