Buzzing when plucking..is it my technique?

Preserved

Reaction score
I'm messing around with a simple version of "dueling banjoes". Lots fun, and it involves plucking single strings. One thing I notice is that I pluck a string and it sounds good, but then I go to re-plcuk it again before the string settles down again and I get a buzz as my finger touches the string..then I get clean sound again once the pluck is done.

clean..........buzz..clean.................buzz..cleannnnnnnnnn

Is this simply my lack of technique?

How to fix??

Thanks!!

One good way to find out is to play the piece veeeerrrryyyyy sssllllooooowwwwlllllyyyyy. If you can play it cleanly and slowly, you'll (eventually) be able to play it cleanly at tempo.

I don't do a lot of picking but I do a lot of picked arpeggios and it sounds like you are "approaching" hesitantly for the second pluck. When picking you want your fingers to kind of nip in like little birds quickly taking a peck at the string. If you "feel your way in" you are basically damping the string before the second pluck.

I don't do a lot of picking but I do a lot of picked arpeggios and it sounds like you are "approaching" hesitantly for the second pluck. When picking you want your fingers to kind of nip in like little birds quickly taking a peck at the string. If you "feel your way in" you are basically damping the string before the second pluck.

Yes, this does seem like what I'm doing. Playing slow helps..it lets me take aim and hit the string precisely. I think I just need more practice.

Thanks guys.

my two-cents worth...try moving you fretting finger closer to the fret wire.

Top Bottom