Colin Tribe Arrangements - Anyone Bought Them

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Colin Tribe has some nice videos up on Youtube, and he'll send the tab for the first requested one free.

He sent me "Let it Be" and it's a pretty good arrangement. He is asking $160 (when translated from pounds) for a package of all his arrangements and has various other groupings. I'm seriously thinking of buying all 400 arrangements or all the Beatles, plus 50 others.

He numbers them by difficulty with 1 being the easiest and 5 the hardest. He has labelled "Let it Be" level 2 which makes me think that I could handle any of his level 3 arrangements - which is what he has graded most of them.

I'm curious what the experience of UU'ers has been with Colin Tribe's arrangements and if you think they are worth it.

I haven't bought Colin's arrangements but I can tell you something about him personally. I had the very lucky opportunity to play with him when he was in the U.S., and he was a very kind, very warm, and VERY talented player. He taught guitar professionally his whole life and when he came to ukulele a bit later in life, he fell in love. I only wish I played ukulele like Colin.

After playing uke with him for a couple hours, he told me that any time I was in the UK, I was welcome to stay in his home! I have no doubt you will get good value from a quality guy like Colin. Again, I haven't bought anything from him, but he is a quality person.......

I have some of Colin's arrangements. It was before he was charging for them. I got about 10 of them through email request for free. I like his arrangements, the ones I am aware of anyway. Some of them were a bit too difficult for me at the time I got them, but others have been very enjoyable and I play them a lot. When you think about it, even if you only could use half of the collection, you would only be spending 80 cents a song. That is really a bargin, considering how long it would take me to make my own arrangement of a song. I also think it is great to encourage these folks to continue making more ukulele arrangements. I am tempted to get his collection too.

–Lori

i just bought the 400 songs and gave me a discount because i have purchased 10 of his arrangements before.. a good collection from beginner to advance.

There is probably no-one else in the world who does such varied arrangements for the ukulele. The quality is very high. He is a classically trained musician and prepares music for graded ukulele examinations.

Colin Tribe has some nice videos up on Youtube, and he'll send the tab for the first requested one free.

He sent me "Let it Be" and it's a pretty good arrangement. He is asking $160 (when translated from pounds) for a package of all his arrangements and has various other groupings. I'm seriously thinking of buying all 400 arrangements or all the Beatles, plus 50 others.

He numbers them by difficulty with 1 being the easiest and 5 the hardest. He has labelled "Let it Be" level 2 which makes me think that I could handle any of his level 3 arrangements - which is what he has graded most of them.

I'm curious what the experience of UU'ers has been with Colin Tribe's arrangements and if you think they are worth it.

He will also do a arrangement of your request for a very modest fee. You get a PDF and MIDI file. If you look through the songs and there are a lot you wish to learn I would go for the whole package . If not just get 10 for now that will keep you busy.

There is probably no-one else in the world who does such varied arrangements for the ukulele. The quality is very high. He is a classically trained musician and prepares music for graded ukulele examinations.

Just really echoing Ken. Colin's numbering system is actually the grades those pieces are set for by the British grading system (he works with the Victoria College of Music). I spoke to him, I guess about 2 years ago, about possibly developing some higher grade arrangements (there were at the time no ukulele pieces above Grade 5, which may still be the case). He was a very nice guy, and very interested in seeing the ukulele go further in music education circles.

I've been meaning to co-ordinate some of my efforts through him, to get some advice. He is a definite treasure trove of ukulele knowledge and, as Ken mentions, wide-ranging technique.

Just to reply to a couple of points and give thanks to those who have made comments

1) The numbers don't refer to the grades of the VCM Exams but just to a rough and ready 5point scale 5 being expert level and 1 for a fairly new player

2) VCM now goes all the way to Diplomas and Emma Saxton in Australia was awarded a Fellowship a few months ago

3) My education work has now blossomed in to "The Musical Ukulele" published by Lindsay Music in the UK as a starters book with melody playing, scales etc.

I have posted a link to "She" by Charles Aznavour on the Tabs page and you can get all details by emailing me at colinrtribe@btinternet.com

Colin

Just to reply to a couple of points and give thanks to those who have made comments

1) The numbers don't refer to the grades of the VCM Exams but just to a rough and ready 5point scale 5 being expert level and 1 for a fairly new player

2) VCM now goes all the way to Diplomas and Emma Saxton in Australia was awarded a Fellowship a few months ago

3) My education work has now blossomed in to "The Musical Ukulele" published by Lindsay Music in the UK as a starters book with melody playing, scales etc.

I have posted a link to "She" by Charles Aznavour on the Tabs page and you can get all details by emailing me at colinrtribe@btinternet.com

Colin

Thanks, Colin. I stand very happily corrected. Glad it's all going so well.

Colin Tribes Arrangements

I have been in contact with Colin since Jan this year. Since then I have bought his tutor and all his arrangements.He is a real professional and both he and his arrangements are so very accessible. There is nothing else like this available. I really like the fact that whilst a real musician he appreciates the value of tab and provides this in rhythmic style. His arrangements are practical can appeal to the beginner right up to the advanced player. I think if it where not Colin I would not have maintained the constant thirst to improve which I still have. He is also so generous with regard to what he charges which is peanuts for the work he has to
input. Ive played guitar for over 50 years and I do know quality when I see it even if my playing should be much better after all these years

Top Bottom