NUD (New Ukulele Day): Tenor Of The Phoenix

Lawn Jockey

Reaction score
Well.....I completely jumped the shark on this one. It is an absolute one of a kind ukulele made by second generation ukulele builder Takayuki of Japan. His father, Mori, is also a master luthier.

This ukulele was on display at the 2007 Ukulele Guild of Hawaii......and discussed during the ensuing conference.

Not to shabby for a first ukulele.

MakaniTenorUkuleleFullFront.jpg

MakaniTenorUkuleleFullBack.jpg

The Tenor of the Phoenix is made from AAAA master grade curly koa, cutout soundhole rosette (abalone), one piece SA Mahogany neck with inlaid curly maple strips, ebony headstock overlay, back of headstock overlayed with curly koa, open geared Gotoh tuners, ebony pin bridge, MOP and Noh wood inlay on the headstock logo, bone nut saddle and nut, and the fingerboard is ebony with the inlay being koa, MOP, turquoise, abalone, kamani, and bone.

MakaniTenorUkuleleFingerboard.jpg

MakaniTenorUkuleleHeadstock.jpg

It comes in a custom built, leather bound, 7 ply birch archtop case made specifically for this ukulele.

With any luck I should have it today.

.......and the final set of pics:

MakaniTenorUkuleleRosette.jpg

The Peter Lieberman (Maui Music) that I was initially going to get had a couple of finish flaws......and I could have lived with it......but when this became available I knew I had to have this one of a kind instrument for my collection.

Congrats on the purchase and I must say that is one hell of a uke. Looks flawless from the pics.

Thats an awesome uke! But I can't exactly tell what the inlay is supposed to be of. (It looks very cool though with all the differnet colors...distinctly asian design.) Actually, based on the title, I guess it is a phoenix. That is SICK. One day I hope to have something like this. :)

K, I gotta ask, how much did it cost? That is friggin nuts

Yeah, the inlay is of the Phoenix.

How much did it cost? More than I wanted .......but less than I had.

It originally sold for $2,800.00USD I believe.......and I'm the second owner.......so that should narrow it down a bit for you.

It is an absolute one of a kind ukulele made by second generation ukulele builder Takayuki of Japan. His father, Mori, is also a master luthier

Here's the label......signed by the builder Kazu Takayuki......

Nice uke, does it sound good / the way you want it to sound?

Just checking: Mori Takayuki is a slightly aged luthier, and you can find his website here. Takayuki is a first name, while Mori is a last name. It would seem odd to name the son exactly like his father. In your uke, it says "Kazu". Kazu Takayuki is probably not a valid Japanese name, because it's made up of two first names (unless it's a fake name, but still). Perhaps his son, if it was built by the son, is named Kazuyuki or something?

Nice uke, does it sound good / the way you want it to sound?

Unfortunately I won't receive it until tomorrow.

As far as the name.......I'm certain you are correct. The name Takayuki is all I know......and I have NO idea about Kazu.......but he was the builder.

I never could figure (or cared to) out Japanese names. Perhaps I should now.

Great ukulele and great buy......still from me in a roundabout way LOL...I will be seeing Mori in a few days the builder.....

Michael!!! Aloha!!!

How does this thing sound? I couldn't find any soundclips anywhere of it.

Thanks again man for all of your help!! :bowdown:

Wow, that uke's incredible. I wonder how ling it took for you to save enough cash for it. Wow, i'm sure it'll be worth it though.

UkeNinja, thanks for the link to the builder's site. What gorgeous instruments! And he has a Maneki Neko Tenor. Drool....

Very cool and beautiful!

There be some significant bling there!

Top Bottom