Tuning

pryce4267

Reaction score
If you tune your uk to ADF#B. Are you tuning up a tone or down a seventh or do you need different strings? Therefore is the tension looser. I am a flute player so don t have much background with stringed instruments. This may seem a silly question to you experts!:nana:

I learned to play the Uke using that tuning, I was using a instruction book from the '30s. I still tend to think in those shapes even though I now tune to GCEA. I 've done this only because all the books you find nowadays have chords based on GCEA. Normally this isn't a problem, but when I want to play with others, I have to transpose the key in my head so I can tell them what chord I am playing. Very confusing for me, but I figure eventually I'll be a virtuoso in both tunings eh?

Good luck with the tuning...and playing your uke.

I'm a flute player, also. Why do you want to tune your uke that way? Just curious.....gcea works fine for C instrument brains.

Cause it gives you more punch!!!! More projection!!! We play alot of old 20 and 30s tinpan (none of the new stuff from the 40s on tho) it sounds great for that.
Okay, now I understand. For tin pan, I use this.....tons of punch tuned gcea.

There are several songs that we've been working on that are virtually impossible for me to play on my gcea-tuned ukulele in the key I want to sing them in. So...

When I restrung my Jenny a few weeks ago I decided to tune it adf#b. This has opened up a lot of options for me on song keys. I just have to make sure I grab the right uke! And of course, now I have to rework our play list, depending on which uke I'm using...

Some folks also tune down, say half a step, perhaps to accomodate the singer. When Jake was with Pure Heart I think he tuned down his uke to accomodate for Jon's singing.

Sometimes I find a song that is a bit too high and if I don't want to change the chords, I tune the uke down just a bit. The higher tension strings allow the uke to play when tuned down.

I have some old music (30ish) from a "Ukulele Ike" (Cliff Edwards) book where the tuning is fBbDG I tried it. Man thats some sloppy strings.

There are several songs that we've been working on that are virtually impossible for me to play on my gcea-tuned ukulele in the key I want to sing them in. So...

When I restrung my Jenny a few weeks ago I decided to tune it adf#b. This has opened up a lot of options for me on song keys. I just have to make sure I grab the right uke! And of course, now I have to rework our play list, depending on which uke I'm using...

Is your Bushman a tenor. I nearly bought one but opted for a ohana concert which I like but am looking to upgrade my tenor.

Is your Bushman a tenor. I nearly bought one but opted for a ohana concert which I like but am looking to upgrade my tenor.

My Jenny is a concert, but my husband has a Jenny Tenor Cutaway. It's a wonderful instrument, with a beautiful voice and perfect intonation.

Top Bottom