PDA

View Full Version : concer ukulele undecided

1300cc
10-15-2012, 07:07 PM
i was very close in ordering the martin c1k from ukulelepuapua for $469 + $55for the shipping which is really reasonable when one day i saw this maton concert in solid australian blackwood very light (made in australia) $499 comes with a hard case and now comes the koalana concert for less than $500 with oahu case shipped.....i dont know what :iwant:

consitter
10-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Eh, go ahead and get them all. Problem solved.

Hippie Dribble
10-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Eh, go ahead and get them all. Problem solved.

"you took the words right out of my mouth..." :p

PhilUSAFRet
10-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Just get the KoAloha concert, will blow them all away!

consitter
10-16-2012, 12:25 AM

The man speaks truth.

guitharsis
10-16-2012, 12:36 AM

The KoAloha concert is definitely a good choice!

Duke of Harbord
10-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Being the proud Aussie I am, and as someone who has played the Blackwood Maton Concert on a number of occasions, I would have to go with that. They are absolutely a beautiful sounding ukulele, with excellent projection and unsurpassed quality. Having said that, KoAloha also make great ukuleles, the owner's a champ and their warranty is well, unbeatable. Personally, I like things found off the beaten track. That'll include luthiers and ukulele companies. I'm pretty sure Maton ukes are handmade by only around a couple of fine luthiers that work for Maton Guitars. If you can get past the decal, Maton ukes are made from mostly Aussie woods (qld maple, blackwood) which are much more sustainable(yet brilliant sounding) woods than the likes of Hawaiian Koa. So for me it would be: =1: Maton/KoAloha 3:Martin

coolkayaker1
10-16-2012, 01:46 AM
KoAlana concert plus Oahu case. You won't be disappointed. Plus, Better Than Weather lifetime warranty. That's solid, man.

peaceweaver3
10-16-2012, 06:54 AM
For me it would be a difficult tossup between the Maton and the KoAloha, in that order. I love Australian blackwood (thinking again of my beloved first uke, a Lehua concert). Let us know what you get!

1300cc
11-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Being the proud Aussie I am, and as someone who has played the Blackwood Maton Concert on a number of occasions, I would have to go with that. They are absolutely a beautiful sounding ukulele, with excellent projection and unsurpassed quality. Having said that, KoAloha also make great ukuleles, the owner's a champ and their warranty is well, unbeatable. Personally, I like things found off the beaten track. That'll include luthiers and ukulele companies. I'm pretty sure Maton ukes are handmade by only around a couple of fine luthiers that work for Maton Guitars. If you can get past the decal, Maton ukes are made from mostly Aussie woods (qld maple, blackwood) which are much more sustainable(yet brilliant sounding) woods than the likes of Hawaiian Koa. So for me it would be: =1: Maton/KoAloha 3:Martinbought the maton concert and its now my favorite uke i csnt believed it sounds better than my pono tenor and kala concert

tigersister
11-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Congrats! That is an excellent choice. Pics?!!

Nickie
11-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Congratulations! If it's as good as Tommy Emmanuel's guitar, you'll love it! How do you like your LoPrinzi?

1300cc
11-11-2012, 05:50 PM
i wasnt happy with the fret wires (loprinzi ams soprano) because it was bit rough but if i have the option to return it ill still keep it bec it have the sweet mellow sound of mahogany and it is made in USA...hopefully this will ibe a collectors item in the future..

Plainsong
11-11-2012, 09:57 PM
How can it be made in the USA if it's made in Australia? ;) But you say the fretwire is sharp? That's not going to get better over time. I'd send it back if they offered. Can the shop you got it from simply fix it for you?

1300cc
11-11-2012, 10:54 PM
How can it be made in the USA if it's made in Australia? ;) But you say the fretwire is sharp? That's not going to get better over time. I'd send it back if they offered. Can the shop you got it from simply fix it for you?just edited my previous post, i am referring to the loprinzi soprano ams...i will take a close up pics of the fretwires soon.

1300cc
11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Congrats! That is an excellent choice. Pics?!!

anthonyg
11-11-2012, 11:13 PM
My Cole Clark Ukelady had some pretty rough fret edges too. Its disappointing as the Ukelady is even more expensive than the Maton but its not a deal breaker to me. Talk to the shop about dressing the fret ends.

Anthony

1300cc
11-11-2012, 11:30 PM
My Cole Clark Ukelady had some pretty rough fret edges too. Its disappointing as the Ukelady is even more expensive than the Maton but its not a deal breaker to me. Talk to the shop about dressing the fret ends.

Anthonyit will cost me more to send it back to florida even if the seller is willing to pay for return shipping

anthonyg
11-12-2012, 12:06 AM
it will cost me more to send it back to florida even if the seller is willing to pay for return shipping

Well yes, that makes it difficult. I must admit I did the work myself with a small flat file. You want to be careful though.

Anthony

Plainsong
11-12-2012, 05:05 AM
it will cost me more to send it back to florida even if the seller is willing to pay for return shipping

Ah right, gotcha about which uke you meant. :)

Would it be possible to get the Maton tweaked locally? You're not limited to uke builders. Of course you'd have to pay, but maybe it'll cost more or less the same as shipping?

1300cc
11-12-2012, 06:47 PM
sound samples of my maton concert using macbook.....no need to criticize my playing, i know, my playing is bad, i have been playing for a year now and still need a lot of practice:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2VJF-5O1Go

itsme
11-12-2012, 06:57 PM
sound samples of my maton concert using macbook.....no need to criticize my playing, i know, my playing is bad, i have been playing for a year now and still need a lot of practice:)
The volume on your recording was really low on my maximum settings so I can't really judge the sound but I thought it sounded decent.

Your playing isn't that bad, either. :) But you are doing all your picking with your thumb. You have other fingers available and engaging more of them would really facilitate your playing. :p

1300cc
11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
i dont know how to make the volume recording up,....and about the picking, ye more comfortable just the using the thumb......all my lessons are from the internet

1300cc
11-12-2012, 08:54 PM
another sound sample....this time more strumming...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKcdFGxy9LM&feature=channel&list=UL