Out of Control

chuck35550

Reaction score
I think its going to be a tenor. I'm thinking of the following from Hawaii Music Supply: Kala SMHT with Worth Browns High G and a pick up, a Kala KA-TE, Kala KA-T, or an Islander MT-4 with hard case thrown in.

Have I lost my mind?

You are not alone!!! Any of those ukes from HMS will be good!!!

I guess that post wasn't worded too well. Which one of those ukes would you choose for a first time purchase? Should I start with a concert instead? I really like the Kala SMHT for some reason (does anyone know what type of gears that model carries?) Thanks for your help and patience.

Steve

I think its going to be a tenor. I'm thinking of the following from Hawaii Music Supply: Kala SMHT with Worth Browns High G and a pick up, a Kala KA-TE, Kala KA-T, or an Islander MT-4 with hard case thrown in.

Have I lost my mind?

If it helps. Used to play a tiki flea soprano and a kamaka pineapple. I bought a pineapple flea tenor to see how I like the size. Now, I have a custom compass rose in tenor size being made. It was no problem making the switch on size.

My best suggestions is to give them a call. Lots of people start with a tenor. Chances are if you like it you will have more than one uke so you could always get another. Definitely get the best you can afford it will be worth it in the long run...

I finally got a little perspective on this latest project and decided that this first uke would be critical for my continued interest or success. A friend gave me the latest Musician's Friend catgalogue and I ordered an Epiphone cherry sunburst Les Paul electic uke with a set of Martin standard strings. I know this won't be a real uke in the strictest sense of the instrument but it looks cool, there are some blues vids that sounded great and I figured that the whole venture was just over $100.00. If this works out, I'll start looking at some real ukes. Thanks for the help. Wish me luck.

Steve

I finally got a little perspective on this latest project and decided that this first uke would be critical for my continued interest or success. A friend gave me the latest Musician's Friend catgalogue and I ordered an Epiphone cherry sunburst Les Paul electic uke with a set of Martin standard strings. I know this won't be a real uke in the strictest sense of the instrument but it looks cool, there are some blues vids that sounded great and I figured that the whole venture was just over $100.00. If this works out, I'll start looking at some real ukes. Thanks for the help. Wish me luck.

Steve

Good luck. Hope you enjoy it,and it starts a love of ukulele.

The Kala SMHT looks sweet! If you know you are going to learn the instrument and not quit, it is cheaper in the long run to buy a nicer instrument up front as you will use it the rest of your life (not like a throw away learner).

Top Bottom