where would you buy a Uke?

hobnob

Reaction score
Beginner here, I bought my first Uke at Guitar Ctr last week. Sales person took it out of the box and put it in the case I purchased. Bought a tuner also. There was no help in showing how to tune the Uke, nor the sales rep tuning it. I should have been more pro-active. I don't think I will shop there again.

With that said, which mail order places do you use. I have been impressed with Uke Republic and N C Uke Academy. Any others I should give consideration?

Hawaii Music Supply. They're incredible. theukulelesite.com

Mim's ukes. Cheaper if you message her than if you buy on ebay since it saves on fees.

It depends on your local stores. A mom and pop music store can sometimes be an excellent place to buy, if they know ukes and can set them up. My local music store has sold their 400th uke last December and has a very good set up guy, plus they have a good selection, including Kamaka and Kanile'a. GC and Sam Ash big box stores usually just move product through their stores.

If you do not a good local store, then the previous messages shows you where to buy online. :)

I've had good luck with Hawaii Music Supply as well as picking up ukes at major festivals. But I have to tell you, there's nothing like trying out a uke in Hawaii, falling in love with it, seeing the pleasure in the eyes of the guys that built it . . . if you can do it someday, go for it. It's a very cool thing.

Hi Hobnob,
I'm don't know where you live but in San Jose, CA visit the Ukulele Source. I've made a road trip from Los Angeles to pick up an ukulele from Smiley and Janet! Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach also has a great variety of ukes. Love these stores because you can play a variety of ukuleles. Also had Ukulele Source ship instruments to me but that isn't there thing.

But if they aren't in your area HMS is great. But always nice to try before you buy! Someone talked about shopping at ukulele events. Also a cool way to shop. You get to see 'ukuleles that might not be carried in big stores and you get to meet the uke maker! I think if you ask about local 'ukulele stores, someone on UU might be able to give you the name of a store in your area.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience with GC but the important thing is you got a 'ukulele - congratulations!

Thanks all for the replies. I called Uke Republic today and spoke to Mike. Ended up ordering a Mainland tenor solid Mahogany. A little more than I wanted to spend, but from what I've read it's a very nice Uke. I should be set until UAS kicks in again.

Beginner here, I bought my first Uke at Guitar Ctr last week. Sales person took it out of the box and put it in the case I purchased. Bought a tuner also. There was no help in showing how to tune the Uke, nor the sales rep tuning it. I should have been more pro-active. I don't think I will shop there again.

No kidding. I bought my Ibanez there. I played it, loved it for what it was, and decided to buy it. It really is an easy to play Uke. A slightly curved fretboard and a sweet neck makes it feel very guitar like. And it's beautiful. When I play it out with some folkies I know, the audience really seems to like it. It sounds pretty good for a plywood Uke. And the most important thing is that I like it. And I will admit, that I did not need much help, but the salesman was great to me and I remembered him from another store where I bought my solid cedar A&L guitar.

So I paid for it and the Ahole at the door stops me and looks over my receipt, opens the case to make sure I don't have a 1959 Les Paul folded up in there, and tells me how he does not like that Uke and why. What a butt wipe. I left it figuring anyone who sits up front checking receipts and making sure that anyone who walks into the store know that they know you are here, has got to be the biggest loser in the store.

What I should have done was to turn right back and get a refund based on his statement. Let him explain to the boss how that sale got lost.

I'm glad I didn't. I do like that Uke.

The Mainland solid Mahogany Tenor arrived today from Uke Republic. Mike was a class act in answering my questions. This was ordered yesterday about 2 in the afternoon and delivered today at 5:30. It was set-up to perfection. My next one will be from Uke Republic. Heck it is only 3 1/2 hour drive, so I may pick it up in person.

The Mainland solid Mahogany Tenor arrived today from Uke Republic. Mike was a class act in answering my questions. This was ordered yesterday about 2 in the afternoon and delivered today at 5:30. It was set-up to perfection. My next one will be from Uke Republic. Heck it is only 3 1/2 hour drive, so I may pick it up in person.

Congratulations on your new uke!

I'm partial to Mim. I just bought two from her and they play like a dream, great price and I am confident if I had a problem she would be right there to do her best to make it right. Great customer service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom