PDA

View Full Version : How to clean dust off Ukulele?

supahken
10-16-2012, 04:52 PM
I have a wall hanger that I hang my ukulele on. Occasionally, I do have to blow dust off the fretboard if I don't play for a few days. Objects in my room seem to acquire dust pretty quickly.

Of course, I could store the ukulele in a bag. But does anyone have any other suggestions for keeping dust off and cleaning the ukulele?

As always, thanks for reading and responding. :)

itsme
10-16-2012, 05:31 PM
You're not going to be able to avoid dust if you store your uke on a wallhanger. I always store my ukes in their cases when not in use. For temporary breaks during a playing session I have a floor stand.

For wiping down the uke after playing, I use a microfiber cloth. I always wipe the strings down, too. They supposedly last longer if you get the sweat off them after playing. Run the cloth under the strings as well.

GKK
10-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Use a Swiffer Duster!...

PhilUSAFRet
10-17-2012, 12:22 AM
I got some nice microfiber cloths in the local Dollar Store....they are everywhere.

siauke
10-17-2012, 01:55 AM
I keep ukes in a case with humidifer when not in use but always wipe wipe microfiber guitar cloth after playing. I think if I hung them - it would be hard not play them all the time!

roxhum
10-17-2012, 03:18 AM
Oh? Dust? I keep my ukes on a wall for quick and easy access and I don't notice "much" dust. Play them often before the dust has time to settle. I do wipe them down with a microfiber cloth but probably not as often as others. I was sad recently when I noticed that my Kamaka was showing signs of being used. But then I felt proud to have an instrument that was used often and loved much.

vanflynn
10-17-2012, 03:24 AM
My wife says that dust is a protective cover and should never be removed.

roxhum
10-17-2012, 03:45 AM

I like your wife!

I like the suggestions to wipe down the strings. I also think a lot of that "dust" on the fret board is from the finger nail being filed down when you strum.

MisterRios
10-17-2012, 03:49 AM

Haha. I'll have to remember that one for the girlfriend. She *hates* dust, even on my ukes.

supahken
10-17-2012, 04:22 AM

if this was facebook, I'd like this comment

thanks for your help everyone! I think I'll keep it hung and just wipe it off before and after I play. And if I don't think I can play for an extended period, I'll bag it.

Mandarb
10-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Use a case to keep dust off uke and/or wipe it down with microfiber cloth.

molokinirum
10-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Microfiber cloth or a small duster.

RichM
10-17-2012, 08:38 AM

Makes me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SGIHbvcTRc

OldePhart
10-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Play them often before the dust has time to settle. I was sad recently when I noticed that my Kamaka was showing signs of being used. But then I felt proud to have an instrument that was used often and loved much.
:agree:

Yep, there ain't nothin' sadder than a dusty uke with no play wear!

mm stan
10-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I use a 3 inch chip paintbrush to get under the frets and strings especially by the soundboard....get the stiff bristles...perrrrfect

Pukulele Pete
10-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Play your uke in the shower , and vacuum your house once a week.