strings

mal-c

Reaction score
Can anyonre please tell me what strings are used on resso ukulele.the usual or steel look foward to hear your viewsMal(UK)

Normal uke strings are used on a reso uke. Don't use light gauge though. You need to "drive" the cone. This is particularly important on an inexpensive factory reso.

Hi Ken ,It's actually a cigar box uke a guy on cigar box nation is building for me ,I have actually tried your strings and really liked them, would they be a heavy enough gauge to use.I reasently sold my ukes to concentrait on cigar box 3 string guitar and now realise my mistake.I have been looking at one of the ashbury ones for around £150.00 are they eny good,I understand they are simuler to the osca schmidt which I have have before or have ohana got a tenor to beet these in this price range.I was trying to learn the blues.I have just turned 71 and don't want to lay a lot of cash out.I wish I had dicovered this little instrerment before.Thanks for your help Mal (UK)
PS just an after thought do Ohana ever sell factory seconds?

Last edited:
Hi Ken ,It's actually a cigar box uke a guy on cigar box nation is building for me ,I have actually tried your strings and really liked them, would they be a heavy enough gauge to use.I reasently sold my ukes to concentrait on cigar box 3 string guitar and now realise my mistake.I have been looking at one of the ashbury ones for around £150.00 are they eny good,I understand they are simuler to the osca schmidt which I have have before or have ohana got a tenor to beet these in this price range.I was trying to learn the blues.I have just turned 71 and don't want to lay a lot of cash out.I wish I had dicovered this little instrerment before.Thanks for your help Mal (UK)
PS just an after thought do Ohana ever sell factory seconds?

Can't really comment on the Ashbury or Oscar Schmitt, but you definitely get what you pay for with resos. Check message box.

I have an Ashbury metal reso. It's OK. It plays reasonably, but the intonation isn't brilliant. It sounded much better when I put Aquilla strings on, but still remains the least played of my instruments. My particular one has a fondness for going out of tune whenever I look away. I keep it as a second travel uke.

I agree with Ken about getting what you pay for with reso ukes. This is totally proved by the instrument Pete Howlett built for me. It's stunning and a world apart from the Ashbury. But.... not cheap.

Last edited:
misleading

I have an Ashbury metal reso. It's OK. It plays reasonably, but the intonation isn't brilliant. It sounded much better when I put Aquilla strings on, but still remains the least played of my instruments. My particular one has a fondness for going out of tune whenever I look away. I keep it as a second travel uke.

I agree with Ken about getting what you pay for with reso ukes. This is totally proved by the instrument Pete Howlett built for me. It's stunning and a world apart from the Ashbury. But.... not cheap.

I think my post must have been misleading,I actually was asking what strings was used on a resso uke as I am having a cigar box type resonator ukulele made for me. I agree with you if I wasn't 71 and just beginnig to play again after looking after my wife for a year after very bad illness, I like yourself would go to pete howlet the same as you but at the moment my talent has to go a lot further than where it is now The mix up came when I asked advice on buying just an every day run of the a tenor ukulele Thanks for the interest Mal (Hull)

Some folks seem to like Aquila banjo uke strings on reso-ukes.

The above post contains what I was trying to convey. Sorry for going a bit OT on the Ashbury etc.

I also tried a set of wound aquillas on the Ashbury. I would recommend them on a reso again. They sounded good, but the metal strings unbalanced the overall sound and wore out very quickly.

Hi can you please tell me what strings doe's Pete Howlet use on his resso ukulele ,are they special resso uke strings or every day ukulele strings Regards Mal (UK)

AFAIK they're ordinary Aquilas from the look and feel, although I'm sure Pete can confirm. Pete specifically advises only using normal tension strings and advises against uptuning so as to avoid extra strain on the cone, which sounds like good advice no matter what sort of reso-uke you get!

I've also got a set of Ken's Living Waters strings that I intend to test out once this set has run its course. Should be an interesting comparison - I've not heard of anyone else using them on a reso yet...

I was thinking on cimuler lines but also use some electrical shrink tube over the end of the string Regards Mal

Top Bottom