Anyone made a diddley-bow?

barefootgypsy

Reaction score
I'm determined to make one of these things over the winter. It's a home-made one-string instrument made out of junk finds and a pick-up, though some are acoustic..... but has anyone on here made one? I've used a drill and a junior hacksaw in the past.... !

I know Bo Diddley but not Diddley-bow. Do you have any pics?
A-ha! Apparently Bo Diddley made one of these things and took his name from it! It's a "roots" type blues instrument - usually home-made Here's Seasick Steve playing one.

Apparently someone made his for him though - I read.....

I built one recently. Used a 1x2 piece of poplar, and empty dog food can for the resonator, and a spare guitar tuning peg. Now I'm working on a three string fretless cigar box slide guitar. I'm hoping to drill the headstock for the tuning pegs this evening and then apply a finish to the neck.

IMG_0176.jpgIMG_0177.jpg
IMG_0186.jpgIMG_0187.jpgIMG_0188.jpg

--G

I built one recently. Used a 1x2 piece of poplar, and empty dog food can for the resonator, and a spare guitar tuning peg. Now I'm working on a three string fretless cigar box slide guitar. I'm hoping to drill the headstock for the tuning pegs this evening and then apply a finish to the neck.

--G
Wow, fantastic! Be sure and report back when you've finished it! And thanks for sharing the pics - are you pleased with your diddley-bow? Does it sound how you expected?

Yeah, the diddly bow is fun. It does sound the way I expected - I just need to get better at it. I found a cool book - "The Handmade Music Factory" that has lots of info on building stuff like this.
--G

A great resource for stuff like this is Cigar Box Nation.
I'm wading into the world of building cigar box ukuleles and I couldn't have gotten anywhere without that community.

Their main focus is on 3 and 4 string guitars, but they have a ukulele group and a group for "Diddly Bows and Other Primitives."
Thanks for the link, J-Peg! I've saved it for that time when I dip my toes in those waters.... ooh, exciting......:D

Top Bottom