string slipping...what now?

TheBadRabbit

Reaction score
Hi all:
I put a new set of Southcoasts on my Mainland slotted concert about three weeks ago. (This is the first time I've put new strings on this uke.) The strings stretched out nicely, and everything was going along just fine until last night when the G string just sort of came undone at the tuner. There was just a nub of string protruding through the hole, where I'd had a good half-inch before. I was able to tune it back up to pitch OK, but I don't trust it to hold. The other three strings are holding their pitch (at least for now.)

Here's my question: I've already trimmed the string--after 3 weeks I felt everything was a-ok. I've got about 4 or 5 wraps around the tuner. Should I try to re-string it, or will I not have enough string to work with?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

If there's enough string to work with, try restringing and wrap around the tuner once or twice before threading through the hole. Make sure the string winds down the stem after that.

If you can get 3 wraps on the tuner, and maybe trap the end under one of the winds, you might be able to use the string you have.
Good Luck

–Lori

Thanks! I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. Hope I can save the string--I wanted to bring the Mainland with me to the Milwaukee Uke Fest on Saturday, and I don't really have time for a full re-stringing job.

(A bit OT but...love my UkeLeash, Lori!)

How about putting a toothpick (round type) in the hole to hold the string.....................

Try threading it like in the attached pic, I've seen this hold with 1 1/2 wrap. I always try to use this method on nylon (non steel) strings

This method works, it is what I use as well.

Try threading it like in the attached pic, I've seen this hold with 1 1/2 wrap. I always try to use this method on nylon (non steel) strings

:agree: Works very well with nylon strings on either posts or slot tuners.

Works well with fluorocarbon strings as well. I find them worse for slipping than nylon and that was when I started using this method.

This was the method I used, too. I was surprised that the string suddenly slipped after three weeks of almost daily playing.

This was the method I used, too. I was surprised that the string suddenly slipped after three weeks of almost daily playing.

I'm very surprised that this doesn't work. One thing I can suggest is to wind once on one side of the string end and the rest of the winds on the other side of the string which squeezes the string a little. Another though is that is the problem maybe that the tuning head needs to be tighter.

Anthony

That's indeed strange. You could try making a kind of simple knot in the tuner hole (instead of just slipping it through) - or make two loops through the hole instead of just one.

BTW: I never cut the headstock ends tight after changing strings, I rather curl them up as nice and tidy as possible...

A costly learning lesson...never trim your strings right away...just buy a new set...or if you have 5 wraps as previous said, thread it twice in the post hole..it might be hard because it will be short,
use a tweeters to accomplish the task...of course an untidy knot might work too like previous said too..

Last edited:
A costly learning lesson...never trim your strings right away...just buy a new set...or if you have 5 wraps as previous said, thread it twice in the post hole..it might be hard because it will be short,
use a tweeters to accomplish the task...of course an untidy knot might work too like previous said too..

How long do you wait to trim your strings? I waited three weeks until they were stretched and settled in before I trimmed mine. BTW, I managed to solve this problem by running the free end of the string back around the peg and under the "standing" end, pinching it underneath as I tightened. So far, so good!

Top Bottom