The "newer" Aquila Reds

grandpoobah

Reaction score
I'd post this in the reviews, but I'm not going into a mess of detail..

I just got a some revised aquila red strings in the mail to try out. Long story short, they are excellent. They are less stretchy than the first batch and hold their tune after only an hour or so. They also fell a lot closer to the regular strings as far as tension goes.

I've never been a real low G player, but these have changed my opinion a lot as they dont have the drone that a wound string does. I only found low G tolerable on a tenor since it can easily handle a non-wound low G.

With the new Aquila I am actually rocking out on a soprano. Country and Bluegrass are particularly fun since you can do a lot of bass walking between chords. Finger picking also takes to this string really well. I highly recommend these and predict I will be dealing with UAS over a low-g soprano setup.

I'll try to throw a video review up in the appropriate forum once I have a little more time with these bad boys. But seriously, its a minor investment to buy a string, and its hours and hours of fun.

Picked up a few of the new less stretchy reds from Andrew at HMS last week and like them very much. Looks like they got it right this time.

Aloha,
Tried the new versions also, so far so good. Feels good, sounds good, finger picking good.
Like these better than the originals.
@smellofstrings, I'm using Ko'olau Alohi strings for the c,e, and a. I suppose it'll work with your favorite brand as well.

I received some Baritone 'Reds' from Ebay...second batch as I snapped the first set. How can you tell from the packaging if you have the new set or not?

I'm using Aquila all the way. They just happen to work best on my slimline pineapple.
I dont know how to tell from the packaging as mine just came in a little clear baggie, but I find the the new ones are a bit courser. If you slide across them they make a sound like a wound string would, but less pronounced.

I have the same question as Lalou.
Are the ones that Hawaii Music Supply is selling the new batch?
I loved the original Aquila reds, but I've already broken all the tenor low G ones I ordered--in less than one month! And Elderly is out of stock. :(

I ordered one last week and it should be here today or tomorrow. How do you know they are a new formulation? Is the packaging different or do they look at feel any different?
Tnx

Yes HMS has the newer ones. I picked some up and they are much better. They're cheap at HMS too.

I ordered one last week and it should be here today or tomorrow. How do you know they are a new formulation? Is the packaging different or do they look at feel any different?
Tnx

They definitely feel different. They are a bit stiffer to bend. Also they are nowhere near as stretchy when you put them on. The old ones would go around the peg a jillion times before you got it tuned, these wrap more like standard Aquilas, which are still one of the stretchier stings.

I just ordered some of these last night. Looking forward to trying them out!

I just got my shipment of Aquilas both white and red. Most of both are tabbed with a date. 08-2012. I will ask if shelf life for REDS are Better-Same- Worse from the wound ones

Yup, they are great, I've been using them for a while, no big stretch, they stay in tune, and no breakage even with lots of hard playing. Big thumbs up.

I got mine from HMS.

I ordered a ton from HMS, and they came in amazingly fast. The date on each package is 09/2012, and I'm sure they are different than the first batch.

They are stiffer, and they are less stretchy. This time, I only had about three wounds before the thing broke! Yay!

I've been through two of the new Aquila Red Low G's over the last three days, but I think I'll keep on replacing them because I like their sound and texture so much!:p

Top Bottom