Cord confusion

Normagal

Reaction score
Are there different ways to do chords? I don't mean which finger to use on them, I mean like Dm, for example. The first chart I was using shows you should press on the 2nd string, 1st fret, and the 3rd and 4th strings on the second fret. Now I see another chart that says Dbm- and it shows different finger spots. What am I not understanding?

Dm - D minor
Dbm - D flat minor

two different chords

Are there different ways to do chords? I don't mean which finger to use on them, I mean like Dm, for example. The first chart I was using shows you should press on the 2nd string, 1st fret, and the 3rd and 4th strings on the second fret. Now I see another chart that says Dbm- and it shows different finger spots. What am I not understanding?
Assuming the "b" in Dbm means flat, those are two different chords.

But, yes, there's more than one way to finger a chord. It often depends on where you are on the neck. You might choose to use a differently fingered chord depending on what chords come before/after it.

A good example is the D - it can be played 2220 or 2225 and you really should know both forms because sometimes one works better than the other depending on what chords precede and follow it. Same is true for the other chords.

John

Kind of confusing for a beginner!

Hi NormaGal

Yes it is. Many of musical instrument, there is one way to produce one note - piano is a good example. Trumpet is another. Drums...... Let's not get into that.

Ukulele and other stringed instruments are different, by design and are confusing. On the other hand, this uniqueness can open up interesting possibilities.

This piece "Asturias" (aka, Leyenda) takes open string and fretted string to produce the same note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzlaHHr2pMI

On piano, you'll have to strike the same key so fast, but on ukulele and guitar, you can double up and make it real easy (kidding!)

FYI, a guitar version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDAHl54V0CU

Cheers
Chief

Top Bottom