tune a soprano eleuke dgbe ?

v30

Reaction score
Was thinking that it would be neat if my eleuke peanut was tuned dgbe. Is it possible to do this on a soprano or is the scale just too short.....ie, you'll have extremely tight strings and poor sound ?

Was thinking that it would be neat if my eleuke peanut was tuned dgbe. Is it possible to do this on a soprano or is the scale just too short.....ie, you'll have extremely tight strings and poor sound ?

most folks that go to dgbe go down not up.
going up would probably would likely break strings and/or the ukulele.
going down would probably result in the string being to loose, but you might try it.
Aquila makes a tenor set dgbe and I have used them on tenors. I have a set of gcea phd's on a tenor tuned to dgbe, but the scale is muck longer than a soprano.

V30, I enjoy different turnings, too.

Have u tried just putting a tuner on it and slowly taking each string down one or two steps? You might be surprised at the sound. And, of course, at some point -- likely 2 full steps down-- the strings will become too flabby.

Hey, I thought it was odd to have low G on a soprano, but they sell strings like that.

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm guessing he wants the tuning of a baritone, without the guitar-y sound of an actual Baritone Ukulele. Not sure why you'd want Baritone tuning for that, though, because you could just play the chords on normal GCEA tuning.

Last edited:
I was wondering if I could deepen the sound with heavier strings (maybe even a wound 3rd and 4th).....or is that simply a function of scale length in a solid body uke?

One advantage to down tuning is sustain. Even the mild downtuning for my concert, the sustain is definitely longer. So, the sound is different for that reason, too, at least on smaller bodied instruments.

I like detuning my tenor ukulele's. Some of my tenors can handle detuning by 3 semitones, some detuning by 2 semitones but none of them have been happy at DGBE. Concerts I like detuning 1 or 2 semitones at a stretch. Long answer short try slowly detuning and see what you think but I just cant see a soprano working at DGBE.

Anthony

Top Bottom