Where to get a Uke setup

PTOEguy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice about finding a shop/technician that is qualified to set up a ukulele? After playing my flea, I think my other two could use a little TLC in the setup department and I'm too chicken to do it myself.

I can tell you where not to take it.......Guitar Center...is it an action issue? or an intonation issue? or both?

I can tell you where not to take it.......Guitar Center...is it an action issue? or an intonation issue? or both?

Does Guitar Center even do their own repair work? My local GC here near me used to contract out their repair work to a local music store.

Action feels high to me, and if I'm not careful to play lightly in the first fret I get intonation problems. My main problem is that I've only been playing 8 months, and don't have a great basis for comparison - except to say that my flea has none of these issues and the others are in a range from the Kala (very hard to play) to the Pono (almost as easy at the Flea)

Last edited:
Does Guitar Center even do their own repair work? My local GC here near me used to contract out their repair work to a local music store.
Its a good question, Ive only had experience with taking a guitar there for repair, but without getting into too many gory details suffice to say I wont do it again.
I cant imagine what theyd do with something as fragile as a uke....

Action feels high to me, and if I'm not careful to play lightly in the first fret I get intonation problems. My main problem is that I've only been playing 8 months, and don't have a great basis for comparison - except to say that my flea has none of these issues and the others are in a range from the Kala (very hard to play) to the Pono (almost as easy at the Flea)

Well ive never setup a uke, but from what Ive read here in the past it sounds like the nut is too high....causes you to have to push too hard to fret, and throws the intonation out of whack........Im not close to an expert though so I dont want to give you bad advice, but it seems to me Ive seen folks here file the slots in the nut a touch deeper and improve this. Dont try it though unless you confirm that.

Top Bottom