Re-entrant strings juggled for low G

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
Now I have a Kanile'a, that's going to be my re-entrant Uke (for the time being). I thought this would be a good opportunity to re-string my Fender as Low-G.

Scotty gave me a spare set of Aquilla strings (they only sell Aquilla and GHS) which will probably never end up on the Kanile'a, and I recall reading that some people use standard Uke strings in order of thickness (as is normal, obviously) for Low G with some measure of success.

Any comments ?

I have played other folks ukes that swap rentrant around strings to get a low G, personally I don't like the feel or sound.
I believe you are better off to spend a few bucks on a real low g, but try the swap, you might like it.

Low G using High G re-entrant strings:
(Plain Nylgut with NO wound string in the set)

For G string use the C string
For C string use the E string
For E string use the G string (the high re-entrant one)
For A string use the A string

If it was good enough for Bruddah Iz to use....
This works fine on my tenors and I have used it on one
concert in the past.I believe its not so good on soprano
and I don't know what size you are trying it on.....?

Last edited:
It works, but the string tension will of course be lower, especially on the (then) G and C string.

I find Aquila string tension too low anyway on soprano ukes, for me they are only tolerable from concert upward.

I find Aquila string tension too low anyway on soprano ukes, for me they are only tolerable from concert upward.

Strange, as I read on this same forum not tool long ago that Aquila's are one of the highest tensioned strings. Me confused now.

and I don't know what size you are trying it on.....?

Fender NoHea Tenor

A lot of places will sell you a single low-G string. I think you're better off doing that...

Tried a wound G and hated it, I just think there's a strange hollow resonance with wound strings on a Ukulele (on mine, anyway). I realise I can get a plain G, or a set with a plain G, but I have a Fender Tenor that there's no point tuning as re-entrant while I have a Kanile'a tuned the same way, and a set of Aquila strings which will never be used on it, so I figure I might as well see if I like the feel of them on the Fender, strung as low G.

The hell with it...I'm going to try it. It's either that, or throw the strings in the bin :)

Have you considered a single low g string from Fremont?

Top Bottom