Koaloha and Koalana Concert Sound Samples

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I got back my Zoom recorder so now I can record sound samples.

https://www.box.com/s/7sleywwp62bpwm8wmol1

This is a sample of my Koalana Concert, Koaloaha Concert and Pono Mahogany Concert - not necessariy in that order. They do not all have the same strings. I'm including the Pono just as a comparison. I'll tell you later which is which. Meanwhile I'm not sure I can tell the difference just by listening to these.

Guessing Game Over I'm going to list the order.

1. KoAlana
2. KoAloha
3. Pono

Last edited:
I like tests like these, because it points out that often quality of tone is more in our heads than in the specific ukes. They all sounds nice to me! I can hear a few variances in tone, but I wouldn't say any sound better than the other.

Two of these are using Martin strings and one is using Daddario, not very good for consistency. Also I can't say that I played exactly the same. They all sound more alike to me than they feel.

Good sample quiz Katysax! They all sound good. Can you say what strings you have on each?
I'll guess:

1) Pono
2) KoAlana
3) KoAloha

Pono and KoAlana have Martin Flourocarbon strings and the KoAloha has the D'Addario NylTech.

I'm going to list the order now:

1. KoAlana
2. KoAloha
3. Pono

The KoAlana has an amazing resonance. The KoAloha still feels a little tight. Maybe it needs to be played more. The Pono actually sounds quite good.

Wow. I didn't get 1 right. Guess my ears are not as good I thought.

Thanks for the blind test Katysax.

Try some SouthCoasts on your KoAloha.

I figured the third one was either the Pono or the KoAloha (because of the mention of nyltech strings on the latter). I wasn't sure how much impact the nyltech strings would have in "darkening" a uke because I haven't tried them yet but the third uke was definitely a bit darker with less "sparkle and punch." It's interesting how much difference there is between the KoAlana and Pono with the same Martin strings on!

They all sounded good, but my choice would be either of the first two...leaning toward the first one, interestingly enough. The first two definitely had the edge in sparkle and "ring" - which showed up mostly in the picking. For strumming all three were quite tasty.

John

That was fun, I learned not to put Nyltech's on KoAloha. And how warm the KoAlana is with picking. Oh wait..I knew that already. That's why I brought one home last week. I feel sick that they might not keep doing these. Sad for the world if thats true. And I needed to take one for myself. They can't stop right after they start....right?

On a side note, maybe Paul can make me a mahogany tenor one day. That'd be sweet. Tune it down a half step..I can hear it now, huge and warm. Oh...second side note, I'm gonna put those new Gotoh tuners on it eventually- geared! Nothing can be perfect without a little mod
Gotoh-UPT-JP1-G-Display.jpg

I feel sick that they might not keep doing these. Sad for the world if thats true. And I needed to take one for myself. They can't stop right after they start....right?

What what what? Are they stopping the KoAlana production? What, why? When? WHY???

That was fun, I learned not to put Nyltech's on KoAloha. And how warm the KoAlana is with picking. Oh wait..I knew that already. That's why I brought one home last week. I feel sick that they might not keep doing these. Sad for the world if thats true. And I needed to take one for myself. They can't stop right after they start....right?

On a side note, maybe Paul can make me a mahogany tenor one day. That'd be sweet. Tune it down a half step..I can hear it now, huge and warm. Oh...second side note, I'm gonna put those new Gotoh tuners on it eventually- geared! Nothing can be perfect without a little mod
Gotoh-UPT-JP1-G-Display.jpg

Say what?? They might stop making them? Why? What's happened??

Wow. I was "sure" the KoAloha was first. MGM never misleads us. The KoAlana sounds amazing. Why would they stop making them? Must be just a name change or something.

Wow. I was "sure" the KoAloha was first. MGM never misleads us. The KoAlana sounds amazing. Why would they stop making them? Must be just a name change or something.

Yeah, the Koalana sounds amazing. It might just be the particular KoAloha that I have - the reason it is the Nytech strings is that it just didn't come alive with the fluorocarbon strings. I have a KoAloha soprano and a KoAloha tenor both of which seem more alive than the KoAloha concert. The KoAlana on the other hand is very alive, and I can really feel it vibrate when I play. I love it so much I'm tempted to get a second concert.

Say what?? They might stop making them? Why? What's happened??

they are just gonna change the name after the 600 like Mike says in the video and some small changes..someone else told me they were moving it entirely but no, thank goodness. thinking out loud or the online equivalent. I want to go back to Thailand.I need a KoAlana shop tour video...Singto performance...spicy soup that makes me cry...women that massage with their feet

Yeah, the Koalana sounds amazing. It might just be the particular KoAloha that I have - the reason it is the Nytech strings is that it just didn't come alive with the fluorocarbon strings. I have a KoAloha soprano and a KoAloha tenor both of which seem more alive than the KoAloha concert. The KoAlana on the other hand is very alive, and I can really feel it vibrate when I play. I love it so much I'm tempted to get a second concert.

I feel that way about Ponos often also. Liking the tenor and soprano best. All of your sound samples were nice though, just different colors. KoAloha concerts are usually pretty open right off the bat. I really like their concert longneck. Still fits in a concert case and sounds great with the worth Low G set.

they are just gonna change the name after the 600 like Mike says in the video and some small changes..someone else told me they were moving it entirely but no, thank goodness. thinking out loud or the online equivalent. I want to go back to Thailand.I need a KoAlana shop tour video...Singto performance...spicy soup that makes me cry...women that massage with their feet

I feel that way about Ponos often also. Liking the tenor and soprano best. All of your sound samples were nice though, just different colors. KoAloha concerts are usually pretty open right off the bat. I really like their concert longneck. Still fits in a concert case and sounds great with the worth Low G set.

Sheesh! Don't scare me like that!! I've been incommunicado with them for a couple of weeks now, and they never said anything about stopping production. I knew the name change was coming, but I was thinking the worst after I saw your post. Thanks for clearing it up.

Sheesh! Don't scare me like that!! I've been incommunicado with them for a couple of weeks now, and they never said anything about stopping production. I knew the name change was coming, but I was thinking the worst after I saw your post. Thanks for clearing it up.

Shoot, sorry about that. I was given false info and mentioned it because I figured it was true. shouldn't have posted. I come here at my most sleep deprived and leave any professionalism as I enter. no mind me.

KoAloha has a sound. Same like koAlana. I'm glad they provide that at more affordable prices now because...more people can afford it. Don't see how anyone could see that as bad. Hope they go strong for many more.

Shoot, sorry about that. I was given false info and mentioned it because I figured it was true. shouldn't have posted. I come here at my most sleep deprived and leave any professionalism as I enter. no mind me.

KoAloha has a sound. Same like koAlana. I'm glad they provide that at more affordable prices now because...more people can afford it. Don't see how anyone could see that as bad. Hope they go strong for many more.

I'm playing a "words with friends" game right now with Paul. I texted him about it in game. He said "After reviewing the price and quality of the Thai made instruments, we came to the realization that they really aren't KoAlanas. They're Thai KoAlohas." So, that's it in a nutshell. Thanks you Andrew. You run a great business that is totally stand up. Much like the Okami clan does. Glad to see that you all do business together. Makes for a great partnership.

was just drooling over this one...well done Scott! and thanks for the kind words.
6846898779_dffa4817ab.jpg

Top Bottom