Sinker Redwood! Amazing Stuff

MARCOVGV

Reaction score
I am going to have a luthier build me two matching ukuleles. .I have had the koa for the build since 2007. I have been going back in forth for a long while as to what wood to use for the top sound board. Well i finally dove in and sourced some Sinker redwood. 4 tops to be exact matching pairs.

I am going to start with having 2 matching ukuleles made. then later i will have another 2 matching ones made.

check this stuff out. i think im going to use the redwood that is heavilly striped/figured first. leaving the other for when i find some nice koa to go with it.

20121020_191101.jpg

20121020_191240.jpg

20121020_191024.jpg

20121020_191228.jpg

I am really happy to have found this. the moment i knew it was the stuff for this build. tapping on it is music to my ears!

Very nice. Played a sinker wood top with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides and sounded very distinct, nothing like I heard before, hard to decribe. Yours will be beautiful for sure...........................BO........................

Wow that's nice! I've heard a few guitars with sinker rosewood tops, and the only way I can describe the sound is bell-like. Deep and very clear.... So nice.

Wow that's nice! I've heard a few guitars with sinker rosewood tops, and the only way I can describe the sound is bell-like. Deep and very clear.... So nice.
That's what I've heard about the Ohana concerts and tenors with sinker redwood tops. Anyone have one?
And my ever-present question... Is the pineapple next? Concert pineapple tenor neck? You with me? :)

Great stuff can't wait to see and hear them when they are built. I am having a Cocobolo and sinker redwood built right now.

I love my sinker redwood top, walnut body MP Ukulele. It's deep and dark and rich and as toned a phys ed teacher.

for my ukes im.talking to bradford donaldson!

He posted recently that he is backed up and not taking new orders. He's good though; I once owned a vintage koa soprano from Brad.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...riends-and-Customers-on-UU&highlight=bradford

I ordered a custom tenor uke from him, mgov, in November 2011. Even then was Sept 2012 build date, which has come and gone, for reasons that are understandable, as noted above. He is a fine luthier, indeed.

That said, Mike Pereira is exceptional and has some phenomenal ukes on his website available now, and will do custom orders and timely with reasonable pricing. check him out! http://mpukuleles.com/

Last edited:
You could also check out Brian Griffin at Griffin Ukuleles. He's seems much like Brad as he does it for the love of making an instrument that will be played a 100 years from now. His French Polished finish in incredible. http://www.griffinukuleles.com/ Look up his blog while your there, is very informative.

I have a couple of his tenors with western red cedar tops from a log he collected 60plus years ago. He figures it was around 2400 years old when it was harvested over a hundred years ago.

I really like your sinker wood, I'm planning my next build now for a special 65th birthday uke build and will be using the redwood also.

one of the reasons i chose to work with brad was his willingness and enthusiasm to use the wood i have since it has a special meaning to me. im in no rush....

I hear you. At least the two year wait will give that wood plenty of time to dry out.

Hopefully he'll have experience w redwood by the time your build is up. Since he's a pro, he shouldnt have a problem! I'm really excited for your build as I have a koa tenor from him.

My Little River "California Special" has a sinker redwood soundboard. I love it, but I've been neglecting it in favor of my little homemade manzanita/cypress uke. I came across some interesting sites on the web talking about the special sonic qualities of sinker wood, much of it probably highly speculative. One site claimed there is evidence that Stradivarius used sinker wood for his instruments.

My Little River "California Special" has a sinker redwood soundboard. I love it, but I've been neglecting it in favor of my little homemade manzanita/cypress uke. I came across some interesting sites on the web talking about the special sonic qualities of sinker wood, much of it probably highly speculative. One site claimed there is evidence that Stradivarius used sinker wood for his instruments.

I chose sinker redwood that being said I think tap testing, soundboard thickness, density, grain, and the luthier you choose have a huge impact. Better truly trust who you choose to do the build. I would rather have a talented Luthier who takes into account things that you and I haven't even thought of.

Did you hear one of the sycamore, redwood topped covered bridge concert pineapple they demo'd a few months back?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsmLsI9KcA0

Redwood...especially sinker redwood is my new favorite soundboard wood. Those are some awesom peices you have there :drool:

Last edited:
Hey Marco, that is nice looking wood, I'm looking forward to building with it. As my experience with redwood is both limited and a while ago, I will be getting my feet wet again by building a tenor from some redwood and walnut that Saltytri gave me this summer. I have a number of builds coming up, all with customer supplied redwood.

Brad

Top Bottom