PDA

View Full Version : cutting a string

hobnob
10-20-2012, 03:29 PM
When you change a set of strings, what do you use to cut it. Would fingernail clippers work? If not what is the perferred tool?

KentSantaBarbara
10-20-2012, 03:34 PM
I use fingernail clippers. I'm careful not to touch the uke with the sharp corners of the clipper blades. They work really well, and can be used for nail care between sessions. I keep fingernail clippers in each case.

itsme
10-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Fingernail clippers work just fine. :) You are actually less likely to gouge the uke than by using a pair of scissors or tin ships.

Loz
10-20-2012, 03:57 PM
This - http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/product/planet-waves-guitar-pro-winder

Its convenient for winding strings quickly as well

Ukelix
10-20-2012, 04:30 PM
the scissors on my Victorinox SAK work fine. :)

siauke
10-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I use the pro winder. It has a string cutter with a rounded tip. If I have a wound string, I don't cut it -- I curl it!

coolkayaker1
10-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Teeth work pretty well, too, if you can get your lips over the peg.

bazmaz
10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Confused?

Why are you cutting them? Just loosen and untie?

PhilUSAFRet
10-21-2012, 01:48 AM
I use one of my jeweler's side cutters.

Tootler
10-21-2012, 02:03 AM
Confused?

How about cutting off the excess when you've changed the strings? I usually do once the strings have settled.

MisterRios
10-21-2012, 08:40 AM
I actually loop the extra into circles. People in my uke meetup *hate* it, and one of my friends even offered me his nail clippers. I was confused as to why until he motioned to snip the excess. So, yeah, nail clippers are also used in Germany.

Tootler
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
I actually loop the extra into circles.

Yes, I usually do that initially.

People in my uke meetup *hate* it, and one of my friends even offered me his nail clippers. I was confused as to why until he motioned to snip the excess. So, yeah, nail clippers are also used in Germany.

Once I am satisfied the new strings have settled, and are not going to slip, then I trim the ends. I use nail clippers too - the type that look like wire sidecutters.

coolkayaker1
10-22-2012, 05:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCAkaKcVaPk

I have looped my strings ends like Taimane Gardner. If it's good enough for her, then it should work for me, too.

Unfortunately, I play more like Bob, the neighbor's gardner, so it's not as cool when I do it.

Louis0815
10-24-2012, 08:59 AM
:agree:
I prefer curling over cutting just in case I ever have to "re-fit" the string (e.g. because it snapped or slipped out on either end) - and as long as I maintain the original length I can easily swap strings between ukes if necessary (e.g. due to missing spare strings et al.)

byjimini
10-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Confused?

This. Doesn't take long and also means you don't get hit in the face with a flying string.

bazmaz
10-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Quite. I'm still confused. If the Q was about the excess string then I loop them. If a string snaps at the bridge I can use the string again, and makes transferring strings easy.

If the Q is about taking strings off can't think I would ever cut them!

Pukulele Pete
10-25-2012, 12:45 AM
I always trim my strings , I use a fingernail clipper. I trim so there is nothing sticking out at the bridge and after the strings have settled a bit I trim at the tuners. It drives me nuts to see the strings hanging out . It has to look neat . I just replaced the Aquila's on my Martin SO with M600's ( much better ) and I left the strings untrimmed at the tuners for day and I cringed everytime I looked at it. What I really hate is guitar players who dont trim their strings , man it really hurts when you spear a finger with a steel string , OUCH .

byjimini
10-25-2012, 12:59 AM
I can understand trimming either end; Worths are double length so you'll need to cut them as there's so much extra. But I can't understand cutting a string to change it.

I wonder if there's any effect on the construction given the sudden release of tension? I don't think it would have any immediate effect but it certainly can't be healthy.

Lalz
10-25-2012, 05:56 AM
I just cut them with regular scissors once the strings have settled. Clean look, minimal fuss.

Tootler
10-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Leaving a length of string hanging out at the tuner end is untidy and they get in the way. Looping is better but the strings don't always lie properly. I've just changed the strings on one uke and the loop refused to lie properly, so trimming off the excess is the neatest solution overall. I also trim at the bridge end but have found that over doing it can mean the strings tend to catch on your right arm sleeve which is a nuisance.

I agree cutting strings to remove them is unnecessary. It's easy enough to unwind them. If you have geared tuners, string winders are cheap enough and any shop that sells guitars will stock them even if you don't have a shop selling ukes nearby. Mine came from a guitar shop, cost less than 1GB and works just fine on my geared uke tuners.

hobnob
10-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks for all the responses. When I initially posted, I didn't mean cut the strings while strung, it was to cut the tag ends, I should have been more clear. The responses have answered my question.

itsme
10-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Leaving a length of string hanging out at the tuner end is untidy and they get in the way. Looping is better but the strings don't always lie properly. I've just changed the strings on one uke and the loop refused to lie properly, so trimming off the excess is the neatest solution overall. I also trim at the bridge end but have found that over doing it can mean the strings tend to catch on your right arm sleeve which is a nuisance.
At the bridge end, the strings should be wound to where they are pointing down and not catching on your clothing. One thing many classical guitarists do is "bead" the end of a nylon string by burning it with a match/lighter for a few seconds. This ensures a rounded end, less likely to cause a scratch on the guitar top or elsewhere.

I agree cutting strings to remove them is unnecessary. It's easy enough to unwind them. If you have geared tuners, string winders are cheap enough and any shop that sells guitars will stock them even if you don't have a shop selling ukes nearby. Mine came from a guitar shop, cost less than 1GB and works just fine on my geared uke tuners.
If you want to keep the old strings as spares, then yes, unwind them all the way. Otherwise, if you're going to toss them anyway, just slack them enough to cut at both ends for easy removal.