36th Season of the Ukulele: Season of the Damned - Halloween Week

peewee

Reaction score
Ghostly Ghastly and Gruesome Halloween Week

I've been hanging on to this idea for months, and I know it's kind of redundant given peaceweaver's other contest, but we communicated and decided there was room for two in the world of Halloween Songs.

This week's competition will involve Halloween Songs, which may contain the following elements:
ghosts, spectres, phantoms, phantasms, revenants, hauntings, spirits, apparitions, wraithes, spooks, demons, devils, banshees, elves, goblins, hobgoblins, mummies, trolls, werewolves, warlocks, wizards, witches, crones, spells, magic, brooms, death, dismemberment, cauldrons, black cats, fog, spiders, bats, groans, creaks, thumps-in-the-night, curses, bad luck, the number 13, tombs, graves, candy, costumes, gravestones, graveyards, bones, skulls, trick-or-treat, skeletons, corpses, vampires, zombies, human sacrifice, hocus-pocus, voodoo, bloodcurdling screams, mad scientists, potions, blobs, aliens, pumpkins, and any other spooky, creepy frightening, chilling, macabre, spooky or spine-tingling things you can think of.
The songs do not have to be about Halloween, but should contain elements appropriate to the holiday; see list above.

Covers and originals are accepted. Your first video will be your entry unless you specify otherwise. Bonus Tracks will be added to the cauldron with glee.

Ukulele front and center, other instruments OK in a supporting role.

Say the Magic Words "36th Season" or "Season of the Damned" or "Halloween Week", or similar at the beginning of your vid

Post a video and provide a link on this thread so we can all cringe in terror and tremble in fright

Single take live recording, no multitrack for the audio, but I think we can accept some minor video cutaways if anyone feels inspired to shoot something scary.

I request that if you post a separate thread on UU to your video that you also provide a link to this page so people can check out the contest.

I will select a winner, my 6 year old daughter will (hopefully) select a winner, and another will be decided by random voodoo/santeria incantation selection process. The selection process for the first two will be subjective and in direct proportion to the scariness, campiness, song selection, and performance quality

Costume will count in your favor.

Deadline, DEAD-line is Sunday Oct 28 at 1159PM Hawaii time.

I really want to see some songs by The Cramps entered in the contest. (hello, TCK!) - But they must fit the theme, of course.

For those of you who are outside of the USA, I understand that Halloween is a largely American phenomenon. However, every culture has scary/creepy/ghostly traditions and stories..that's what we're looking for here.(hello, Tootler)

Prizes: I am going to keep it simple with the prizes this time, maybe a still-beating human heart for one winner, and a mojo bag for each of the runners-up?
Or maybe some itunes gift cards instead.. $20 for each winner?

I'll try to stay on top of the playlists at least once a day, but it's going to be a busy week..

Bwaaah ha ha ha ha ha ha

PLAYLISTS (abandon hope all ye who enter here):

OFFICIAL ENTRIES

BONUS TRACKS

Last edited:
This is an excellent week, can't wait for the entries. Somebody please do "Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?"

And here's another.

Also posted in an earlier season so another bonus track.

I am sure I can come up with something suitable for my proper entry. It'll be more a case of deciding which.

BTW, Halloween is actually quite a big thing here in NE England. It was much less so in West Yorkshire where we previously lived and I can remember Halloween being celebrated as a kid, though I think you Americans have taken it to another level.

Last edited:
Nice theme, Peewee! Already numerous songs are fighting to be done. This season will undoubtedly see its share of bonus songs...

As I had an idea for a song to do, I just recorded that. I like to play U2 Songs, so I tried to find a song by them that fit this theme, and I think that is this song: Beautiful Ghost.
I did not use as long an intro as the U2 song has, I think that would end up boring ;-).
This song is a Joshua Tree outtake. The lyrics are the words of a poem written by William Blake - "Hear the Voice of the Bard".
Anybody Interested in the Original see here:
U2 - Beautiful Ghost

By the way really not a costume person ;-).

This is great. I have a song in mind, which is really pushing the limit for me, and is going to take me all week to practice. Someone is certain to choose the song as well, and do a much better job, but I am choosing not to care because I will still be able to practice this song, which I like a lot, and it will really push me as a beginning player.

Bonus Track

Here's another I did earlier (UK members will appreciate that line :D )

Cruel Ship's Carpenter is a murder ballad which has been collected on both sides of the Atlantic. A man murders his lover. The lover's ghost comes back to exact retribution.

This particular version was collected by Cecil Sharp in North Carolina. I like the minor mode melody which suits the tone of the song. I have added a drone to the accompaniment which I think adds to the overall effect.

All in all, a cheerful ditty :rolleyes:

I'd hate to disappoint you, peewee, so here's an early bonus from a previous season.

http://youtu.be/Y1vb2v-U104

And here's another.

http://youtu.be/5gl3IoCWiuQ

Also posted in an earlier season so another bonus track.

I am sure I can come up with something suitable for my proper entry. It'll be more a case of deciding which.

BTW, Halloween is actually quite a big thing here in NE England. It was much less so in West Yorkshire where we previously lived and I can remember Halloween being celebrated as a kid, though I think you Americans have taken it to another level.

Here's another I did earlier (UK members will appreciate that line :D )

Cruel Ship's Carpenter is a murder ballad which has been collected on both sides of the Atlantic. A man murders his lover. The lover's ghost comes back to exact retribution.

This particular version was collected by Cecil Sharp in North Carolina. I like the minor mode melody which suits the tone of the song. I have added a drone to the accompaniment which I think adds to the overall effect.

All in all, a cheerful ditty :rolleyes:

http://youtu.be/o78lR7mj7aI

Geoff, I thought you might have a few up your sleeve for this one! Thanks for getting us in the mood.

As I had an idea for a song to do, I just recorded that. I like to play U2 Songs, so I tried to find a song by them that fit this theme, and I think that is this song: Beautiful Ghost.
I did not use as long an intro as the U2 song has, I think that would end up boring ;-).
This song is a Joshua Tree outtake. The lyrics are the words of a poem written by William Blake - "Hear the Voice of the Bard".

xommen! thanks for the official kick off. I love Blake almost as much as Whitman, great choice, great sound!

I added playlist links and a little bit more detail to the initial post.

oh, and

This is an excellent week, can't wait for the entries. Somebody please do "Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?"
Rook, thanks for the request, but does that song have Halloweenesque elements? I think it might be better for innuendo week. I was thinking something more like Zombie Dance perhaps

I'm quaking in my boots in anticipation of more scaaaaaary songs..

Caleb Meyer by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. Sorry peewee but this song is not suitable for children. I'll probably post another later in the week so this may end up being just a bonus.

I'll put this one up as a bonus track, since it's my official entry in the other Halloween contest. I'm hoping to get something else ready for season 36.

I'll put this one up as a bonus track, since it's my official entry in the other Halloween contest. I'm hoping to get something else ready for season 36.

Great video Doug :) I take it that it's an original! I can relate... I often get Frankenfoot when commuting to work >.<

I guess I should tag this as a bonus entry too then, as it's for the other contest... But here's Scream by The Misfits...

here is a bit of recycling (doing my bit for cyberspace lol) here is a BONUS song has been uploaded in the past, one of my favourite songs and i am pleased with my playing and singing (for once)
Cheers for hosting a ghoulish week Dr Peewee

Sewing Machine ~ Vic Chesnutt

This is by the late Vic Chesnutt.
Takes me back to my childhood, when we had homemade costumes.

What if Carrie had a little brother?

...I want to be a vampire for Halloween
Mama makes a cape on the sewing machine...

Top Bottom