Latest intern report

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
A week ago I had Chris Harban from Idaho help me out for a week in my workshop. Chris posts here under the name Chris H.

It was a great 10 days (as it turned out) with Chris helping out a feloow tenant, Rauni Highson photograph her award winning silverware. I measure the success of any internship three ways:
  • Did we have fun?
  • Were we productive?
  • Did we learn something?
Chris is a skilled machinist, great detailer and sprayer but novice builder. Despite the latter we hit all three indicators and to prove it, had several instruments sprayed, 5 resonator ukulele complete, ready for binding and finishing.

I expect Chris will want to comment in this thread. Let me just tell you, this is a great synergetic experience. I learned, my intern learned and the result was profitable for both of us. Skills are transferable - thanks Chris for a great internship.

Photos of the work to be posted soon.

Thank you Pete! this was such a good experience, all around.... Yes we had fun, the work seemed very efficient and productive, and yes, I learned a lot!!! I think you learned a bit too... You are a geat teacher. Thank you for sharing your knowledge so freely. Thank you for helping me take a giant step forward into the craft of lutherie. I can fully recommend this experience to anyone wanting to learn about building ukuleles.

Just the internship was completely fulfilling!

Additionally, Boarding at a retired professional photographers home, and having the photo project for Rauni, in a technique that I was just beginning to learn, and Chris Waller (the photog I stayed with) having fully mastered this technique, teaching it to me through his shots using the same technique from a photo project for a book he did on Violin makers years back, seeing the progression of his learning curve through his slides of six months of violin shots, that was really cool too. Almost like 2 internships at once... The walk through the old slate quarry, so beautiful...

I am feeling very inspired now. Yesterday I decided to see how far I could go on a uke, not moving fast, but keeping moving.. A simple instrument with no decoration, except for the wood itself. The ribs were already joined, lined, not cleaned up, the plates were one piece. Nothing else was done, or prepared, except for seasoned wood.... This morning I will be grain filling the body, the last 2.5 hours spent sanding the body flat (curly Koa) If I would not have had a dinner party to attend last night, the fret board would be glued on. The neck is fitted, and the fret board about to be glued on. I will finish the Reso I built in Wales when I finish this new instrument.

You are a rock star Pete! I am happy to have made a new friend.

Hi Pete. Good on you for providing this opportunity. What a great experience. I just want to thank you for your advise on my previous build. I am now building a concert but have just finished another Soprano. I have followed your sugestions and am very pleased with the results. I have posted it on UU titled Tassi blacwood,Sitka Soprano.
Regards Ross

Top Bottom