Relisting: Kanilea K1-C concert ukulele and case

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatalieS

Reaction score
This ukulele was returned to me for some cosmetic issues that I failed to notice before shipping it out. I'm therefore relisting it at a lower price, and will explain the cosmetic issues below.

This is a Kanilea K-1C concert, UV finish, with TRU bracing, purchased from the Kanilea factory in 2009. It's basically sat unused since then, with maybe 3 hours playing tops. It has really striking grain and is a beautiful coppery color. The uke is currently strung with Aquilas, and it sounds fantastic. It's loud, has a sweet tone, and has great action.

Asking price $600 + shipping (North America buyers only, please). Local pickup also available in Tampa area.

Pictures and videos to follow:

013.jpg

The cosmetic issues:

#1: The finish on the midline seam of the soundboard has a flaw in the area between the soundhole and bridge. It's difficult to see but I managed to photograph it. I believe this is cosmetic only, without any structural issues beneath.

006_zpsf8356cb8.jpg

#2: The original buyer noted a small flaw in the clear coat on the lower bout (about 8 o'clock beneath the bridge). I don't see the original flaw; however, at that location there is a 1x1.5 cm area of multiple fingernail scratches in the clear coat, where it appears the flaw was scratched out. Again, these are superficial and appear to affect the clear coat only, and they're invisible unless sunlight is reflecting off of it.

009_zpsa2d096f1.jpg

Video samples to follow.

The look:

The sound:

Please feel free to ask any questions! If I don't get interest here, I'll bring the uke to the Tampa Bay Uke Getaway and hope to pass it on there.

Ugh such non-issues. Sorry you had to put up with this hassle, Natalie. This is what stinks about reselling ukes. Used ukes often happen to be in used condition for anyone who didn't realize this, which is often reflected in the lower price you can buy them for. Here's to hoping the next buyer doesn't return it for having fingerprints on the finish. Good luck with the sale.

If I had the cash on hand it would be sold already.

Soupking, this was my fault, because I listed the uke as being in mint condition, and it wsn't. I think it's still a great looking instrument, but condition is important for lots of folks so I want to make sure I include full disclosure. :)

Soupking, this was my fault, because I listed the uke as being in mint condition, and it wsn't. I think it's still a great looking instrument, but condition is important for lots of folks so I want to make sure I include full disclosure. :)

I get where you're coming from, it's just that I think one would be hard-pressed to find a production uke that's 100% flaw-free, even brand new. At least that's been my experience for the most part. If you look hard enough there's probably always gonna be something somewhere. In any event, this is a sweet deal- there's no doubt about that :)

Ugh such non-issues. Sorry you had to put up with this hassle, Natalie. This is what stinks about reselling ukes. Used ukes often happen to be in used condition for anyone who didn't realize this, which is often reflected in the lower price you can buy them for. Here's to hoping the next buyer doesn't return it for having fingerprints on the finish. Good luck with the sale.

:agree: This is the kind of thing that makes me very reluctant to sell my instruments, even the ones I'm not playing. In fact, I was getting ready to list my tenors now that I have pickups in my other ukes but now...maybe not...might be more hassle than it's worth by the time you pack them and etc.

Not to be overly harsh on the buyer involved, though; I expect if he/she was expecting like new and has a very critical eye those things might bother them. Still, it might be better for all if folks with eyes that sharp just avoided buying anything used! :)

John

:agree: This is the kind of thing that makes me very reluctant to sell my instruments, even the ones I'm not playing. In fact, I was getting ready to list my tenors now that I have pickups in my other ukes but now...maybe not...might be more hassle than it's worth by the time you pack them and etc.

Not to be overly harsh on the buyer involved, though; I expect if he/she was expecting like new and has a very critical eye those things might bother them. Still, it might be better for all if folks with eyes that sharp just avoided buying anything used! :)

John

Wow, I think the buyer is a little picky as well. I better make sure everything is stated really used condition! LOL

Perhaps the buyer merely had "buyer's remorse" and used the tiny flaws as a way to get a refund on the instrument.

Perhaps the buyer merely had "buyer's remorse" and used the tiny flaws as a way to get a refund on the instrument.

My guess is the expectation of a "flawless in mint condition" (as new) uke did not include the flaws listed, however small and unnoticed by the seller.
Well, that won't be a problem now.

It is a great sounding Kanile'a at a very nice price.

Come to think of it, this might be one of the best sounding Kanile'a concerts I have heard.

Last edited:
Beautiful uke Nat and a wonderful price. I say good on you for relisting with full disclosure.

I confess to having had a similar experience as yourself, with a vintage uke I previously tried to sell here on the marketplace. A potential buyer pointed out a really obvious issue with the uke from the pics provided, but which I had not mentioned in my description. I felt very humble and chastened for it, embarrassed too, and after an edit to my OP, reduced the price massively, selling it way under what it really was worth.

Oh well, guess there's a lesson for us all to be very vigilant and rigorous in the way we appraise the instruments we are selling on here eh. Wishing you a speedy sale Nat, this is a super sweet deal for a near new and wonderful sounding uke!

I appreciate everyone's opinions; however, I think the first buyer was fair. They were looking at this as their dream uke. If I were buying "the one", I'd want to know the exact condition too.

With that said, I have replied to all PMs and this uke is still available! :)

As long as the flaw between the sound hole and bridge is superficial and not structural, I will buy it for the shipped price you quoted me. Let me know if this is the case and PM me your payment details. Paypal would be my preferred payment method.

Thanks, Bill

Natalie's experience is precisely why I sell on eBay, no refunds, "as is", well worth the 10% overall fee. The only way anyone can refund there is if it misrepresented -- thus words like "perfect" and "mint" or "like new" are deliberately avoided.

Just one way to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom