PDA

View Full Version : Loose back brace, where to go, what to do?

Pleasure Paul
10-22-2012, 03:34 AM
Hi all,
problem here! A nice old Martin soprano uke which I got in the mail showed a problem after unpacking: an loud, persistent rattle on most top string notes. After much listening and 'tambora style' knocking I concluded it might be a loose back brace, the one in the lower bout. How on earth could one repair this, with such a tiny sound hole? Who should I go to? A violin repair man? A guitar ditto? I'm afraid no one over here did uke repairs. It is a vg condition twenties uke with binding.
Thanks!
Paul (Amsterdam area)

Rick Turner
10-22-2012, 07:06 AM
That should be repaired correctly by a luthier who knows real restoration and the use of hot hide glue. It is entirely fixable, but it will take someone with experience. Also, find someone who actually likes ukes and doesn't think of it as a lesser instrument. You'll be able to tell by attitude. If need be, take it to Francois Charle in Paris http://www.rfcharle.com/ Tell him that a good friend of his pal, Paul Hostetter, suggested the referral.

Pleasure Paul
10-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks Rick,
you wish this uke well. Good names, I'll seriously think about this option. Hide glue, restoration, respect...
Do you think the back has to come off?
Paris is two countries away from here, but not that far. I know François, once bought a uke there.
Best,
Paul