PDA

View Full Version : Strumming and singing at the same time?

Phos Ellipsis
11-20-2008, 01:10 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bassukuguy
11-20-2008, 01:34 AM
you know its one of those things that it is great to play a song exactly how it is written... but for me that takes all of the fun out of it. i play a cover of under the bridge and i dont play it exactly like RHCP's do or exactly like Seeso has it in his cover. but i play it and it still sounds good...

Dont focus on strumming patterns, sit there for 15 minutes strumming the same two chords and saying the same 4 words over and over until you get it. repetition is your friend!

hope this helped

Kanaka916
11-20-2008, 04:54 AM
When you first start out, use a simple strum D U D U to practice the tempo, chord changes, lyric phrasing and to get the feel of song. As you get comfortable, change up on the strum. If you can play along with OTR, you'll probably pick it a lot faster.

freedive135
11-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Don't feel like your the only one....

My Inst. does this funky Dm Um Um Um on Margartiaville that sounds great when he plays it, for me it sounds like a garbage disposal with a spoon in it.

m=mute

And on OTR I can sing and strum D U D U or I can play it not singing the way Aldrines lesson is DDUUDU even with the mutes, but I can't make it sound right singing and using that strum.

Kaneohe til the end
11-20-2008, 08:12 AM
i cant remember who said it, but someone said to keep practicing the strum pattern till it becomes second nature. then when you sing along, yu can focus on singing

Kekani
11-21-2008, 08:48 PM
This may sound silly, I guess...but just how do you know exactly when to switch chords when you are singing?

Play with the CD, no singing. Then you'll get it real fast.

Daedle
11-22-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm still a beginner with the uke but the way I do this is to strum along to the proper song while muting the strings. This lets me get the strum pattern down to a tee, then I gradually introduce the chords. If you're playing along to the song in the same key then it's very easy to recognise when a chord has just changed. You will keep missing it but you learn where the change is each time.