What's the most impressive Ohana you have played?

Total Ukphoria

Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering an Ohana- any suggestions?:confused: Price? $50-$300 sound good. Any size is fine.

Last edited:
I have the Ohana SK35G a quite moderate priced uke, solid mahogany and i have had many compliments on the sound of it, one of my chums even has a vintage martin and he loves the sound of my little ol soprano they also do it in concert,tenor and i think a baritone. But it is a good uke for the price

I love my SG-35 as well. It sounds great and has gotten better over the last two years. I have also gotten a lot of compliments.

I recently had the privilege to play a couple of $1000++ ukes. No surprise, they sound better. But that is a lot of jack to spend. I've never played a $300-$400 uke that was clearly head and shoulders better. There will be ukes that appeal to different people because of preference and opinion, but I think in your price range the SG-35 is a great choice.

Ohana Vita uke without a doubt - I don't know if they're all this good but LonerHino ( :) ) had his at UWC this year - we put some new fluorocarbon strings on it and it was the punchiest small (soprano/concert) uke I'd ever seen until my Mainland mahogany soprano opened up a few weeks later. I still want to lay my hands on one even though I need another uke like a 6-inch diameter hole in my head!

John

I have a CK 50WG that's pretty amazing. The cedar top is bright, warm and loud.

I recently sold an Ohana BK-35 solid mahogany baritone in the UU Marketplace. I don't have any other experiences with Ohana ukuleles so I can't compare this one with other Ohana models or scales, but it was a great first baritone -- resonant, loud and with a sweet tone -- and I only sold it to make room for a new custom Mya-Moe mahogany baritone.

ALL OF THEM!!!

Oooo...oooo... the Sopranino! It is so stinkin cute and such a powerhouse for such a little uke!

hahaha!

Ok, I am so darm biased because I love Ohana!!! I really do! And no, they do not bribe me to say that. It is just I see a lot of ukes in the price point come and go out of my shop, but when people ask what the best bang for their buck uke is, I always recommend an Ohana.

Now, I am a cedar girl, so I love all the cedar models, especially any of the cedar rosewoods. BUT... I also like the warmth and smoothness of the mahoganies, and then their spruce maple, man... in your face bright happy and loud.

If you like the SK-35G, but want a uke a little louder, also try out the SK-38 (the "vintage martin copy" model). It has a nice big sound while still retaining the warm mahogany tone.

Ok... I will stop. I just seriously LOVE Ohanas.

Oh and the Ohana SK-10BL. Why? It is Blue! They are my favorite beginner models and my SK-BL goes everywhere. So much so that it might get some silver marker decoration soon!

And the Redwoods. Like the cedar with a little more punch!

I am going to stop now... or I will tell you about every model and how wonderful it is. Ha!

Hmmmmm. Tough choice.

I've played an SK-25 and permanently lent out a PK-25G, both of which were great.

I love my SK-21.

But, if I had to choose only one, I'd hunt down an SK-38 -- those things are just awesome.

The sk-38 is an amazing uke for the money... or just an amazing uke full stop. I'd love to try out its bigger brother the tk-38, but I'd have to sell a uke first, and that's impossible to do from and in Finland now. (No reusable boxes, no more local uke group..)

The sk-38 is an amazing uke for the money... or just an amazing uke full stop. I'd love to try out its bigger brother the tk-38, but I'd have to sell a uke first, and that's impossible to do from and in Finland now. (No reusable boxes, no more local uke group..)

I'm with you Plainsong on your appreciation of the Ohana SK-38. You could pay twice as much for a mahogany ukulele and do only half as well.

Last edited:
Had a SK38 and loved it. Only sold it because I bought a Kiwaya KTS-4.
Oh and Plainsong, I'll take that KoAloha of your hands if it'll help you... :)

The soprano with mahogany top and laminate back and sides is my favorite Ohana. This little uke sounds as good and plays as well as any of Ohana's all-solid soprano ukes---one of the best values in all of ukedom.

The 20 series with solid mahogany top and laminate sides & back are the best deal around. They play smooth and sound great.

My SK-38....

The TK-50WG, it's the one that got away! A local shop had one and I fell in love with it, but before I could scrape together the funds someone else bought it. The Cedar top sounded wonderful, and the pattern in the willow was beautiful. And as Oldefart said, I love the sound of my Vita, I just don't get along as well with soprano necks. I do have to agree with Mim as well, I never heard a bad Ohana.

I had the SK-35G for about a year before I got a Mainland soprano instead, I'd say that was the best I've had.

I've owned the CK-65D at some point too, couldn't get used to the weird position of the sound hole though.

Top Bottom