Time to strap it on.

Lodes

Reaction score
Can someone explain how uke straps work? How do they attach? Also, what's a thong? Should I get one of those instead? Thanks.

Can someone explain how uke straps work? How do they attach? Also, what's a thong? Should I get one of those instead? Thanks.

Depends on the uke and personal preference. Some prefer a uke leash. Some prefer two guitar buttons.Some just use the pickup or a strap button at the bottom and a strap by the headstock. Some use no strap. Just personal preference. My custom will have a pickup and a strap button on underside of the heel/neck, but it is one of the less common preferences.

Last edited:
Only strap I have installed at this time is on my Concert size banjo uke...it's a heavy little sucker and the edge of the rim is a little uncomfortable for me to squeeze with my arm for long. If I lived in cooler climate, and wore long sleeve shirts and sweaters that allowed the uke to slip in my arms as I played (I remember last Winter when I wore one of those long sleeve stay dri type shirts) I may install straps in more of my ukes.

Hey, I just had to check out this thread by a guy named Lodes writing about time to strap it on.

A uke strap attaches as using 1 or 2 strap buttons as described above by Newportlocal.

A Uke Leash (sold my Lori, a member here) supports your ukulele without the use of buttons. I was having problems holding my uke when I first started playing, and a Uke Leash made a huge difference for me. When I got a second ukulele with a strap button, I bought an adapter that converted my Uke Leash into a uke strap.

A uke thong also supports your uke without the use of buttons. The strap goes around your neck and has a hook that goes under the body of the ukulele and latches on to the sound hole. I've never tried one.

Ok thanks, got it. That makes sense. I'm getting a leash!

I've been wondering about this myself. I just ordered a beaded Kiwaya strap from Hawaii Music Supply. Looking forward to trying it out.

And if you don't like the idea of additional screws (for the button/s) in your uke you might as well consider magnetic starps - usually one end is tied to the headstock and the other one is held by small (but strong) magnets (one fitted to the strap end outside, one inside the body)
I have a magnetic strap on my Flea coz I didn't want to "hurt" the body at all.

There is no way I'm putting holes in my ukes and attaching buttons. I don't really need the body supported by a strap anyway. Right now the hardest part for me in learning to play is keeping the head up and steady during some chord changes. The leash looks like just what I need. Although I think I'd like it better if the strap part that goes around the head were more string-like than dog leash like.

The leash is great Bert, but if I may ask, why don't you want to attach a button? Mine took 10 seconds!

Ok thanks, got it. That makes sense. I'm getting a leash!

THe uke leash is fantastic, and Lori's service is superb! THe best part about the leash is that if you decide that you want to add strap buttons, you will only have to add the adapter and not go out and buy an entire new strap. I don't use it as much as I used to, but it is VERY helpful in keeping the neck steady. It was very useful when I first started so I didn't feel like the uke was slipping away. I do still use it sometimes..

Top Bottom