Flying With A Uke

uke.fly

Reaction score
I have a Stagg US-10 Soprano and I'm planning to fly with it this weekend. Other than making sure I take it as carry on what else should I know? Do I need a humidifier for a 3 1/2 hour flight or will I be OK. it only cost £25 so I don't know if the cost of a humidifier would be worth it?

it will be fine. just dont open the case in mid air if your really worried about it. taken mine all over the place

Thanks - I only have a nylon gig bag but I guess that'll be fine if I carry it on with me?

it will be fine. just don't open the case in mid air if your really worried about it. taken mine all over the place

You might not be aware that the new airline regulations make all ukulele plays step outside to play.

I don't really believe a 3 1/2 flight would cause a ukulele to dry out, but I still recommend a humidifier.
A hard shell case is my preference for flying, just in case. Also be careful and watch for someone else setting/cramming a huge carry-on in the overhead on your ukulele.

I travel with my Compass Rose all the time. I've got a nice Reunion Blues heavily padded leather gig bag, and I just toss it up in the overhead bin every time. No problems at all. I just wouldn't over-worry the humidifier thing too much. I don't, and I've never had a problem in five years of flying with it.

I travel with my Compass Rose all the time. I've got a nice Reunion Blues heavily padded leather gig bag, and I just toss it up in the overhead bin every time. No problems at all. I just wouldn't over-worry the humidifier thing too much. I don't, and I've never had a problem in five years of flying with it.

I always like your opinions. I thought about upgrading to one for my custom ukulele, but it's confusing. It seems like the real Reunion Blues maker is in Berkley now.
http://www.glenncronkhite.com/index.html
On the plus side he could probably make it fit perfect with specs.

Note:
For anyone reading this thread at a later time. I received a response, and the guy on the link is the real deal. I am going to have him make me a case.

Last edited:
That uke will take all kinds of beatings. It's one of those cheapos that just doesn't break no matter what you do. And if it DOES break...well, then you can replace it easily just about anywhere.

For Halloween, a ukulele is no substitute for a broom.

I recently flew with my Kamaka HF-3 to Hawaii from California and back. I didn't use a humidifier (I have one of those Oasis things that you fill with water and suspend from the strings) because I noticed that the change in cabin pressure causes my contact lens solution bottle to leak and I didn't want any humidifier leakage. I think my uke was fine, and I tended to keep the air conditioning off in my hotel rooms.

As an aside, the Delta agent in Honolulu who checked my luggage for my flight home asked me about my ukulele. She said she'd never played one and was thinking of starting, but she didn't believe me when I said it was relatively easy to learn the basics. At her request, I took out my uke (there was no line at the time, as I was uncharacteristically early for my flight) and played "Happy Birthday" and the chords for one of the Hawaiian songs my class had played at the Maui Ukulele Festival, and then I handed the ukulele to her and showed her how to strum while playing a C-F-G7 chord progression. I left when people started showing up to check in, but while I was in the security checkpoint line, she ran up to me to thank me for playing for her and for letting her play.

moral of the story is ukulele help you pick up chicks. maybe even join the mile high club LMAO

For Halloween, a ukulele is no substitute for a broom.

I recently flew with my Kamaka HF-3 to Hawaii from California and back. I didn't use a humidifier (I have one of those Oasis things that you fill with water and suspend from the strings) because I noticed that the change in cabin pressure causes my contact lens solution bottle to leak and I didn't want any humidifier leakage. I think my uke was fine, and I tended to keep the air conditioning off in my hotel rooms.

As an aside, the Delta agent in Honolulu who checked my luggage for my flight home asked me about my ukulele. She said she'd never played one and was thinking of starting, but she didn't believe me when I said it was relatively easy to learn the basics. At her request, I took out my uke (there was no line at the time, as I was uncharacteristically early for my flight) and played "Happy Birthday" and the chords for one of the Hawaiian songs my class had played at the Maui Ukulele Festival, and then I handed the ukulele to her and showed her how to strum while playing a C-F-G7 chord progression. I left when people started showing up to check in, but while I was in the security checkpoint line, she ran up to me to thank me for playing for her and for letting her play.

Top Bottom