Leaky Case Humidifier

Ikelele

Reaction score
Hi,
Recently I noticed that my Oasis case humidifier looked wet on the exterior so I ran my finger lighty over it and it was actually wet and the interior of the case under the humidifier was damp. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

No, I have never had that problem. Maybe you don't have enough gel beads in there. The water should completely be absorbed by the beads in a couple of minutes. Sometimes, if you overfill the container, you loose some of the gel beads, and if that happens enough times, you may not have enough left to do the job. You can get replacement gel beads.

–Lori

While seemingly counter intuitive to the norm on this forum. I live right up the coast from you and am not going to humidify. Humidity in and out of my house are good. However, if you are doing it for warranty reasons I understand.

I've heard of others that do not humidify in California. Makes sense, easy enough to test the humidity.

I don't humidify in my case for precisely the reason stated by OP and others. Even without leakage, why ruin a nice fur lined case? Eventually, it'll smell like gym socks.

Plastic storage container , Rbbermaid or Sterilite, with large cheap car wash sponge in one gallon unzipped ziplock bag. Soak the sponge every three months. Never let me down yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your responses. Newportlocal, relative humidity in San Diego is usually in the 60's which is very good but we do suffer occasionally from Santa Ana winds which drop the RH below 10% and some are due here by the end of the week. Additionally, during the winter it can drop below 50 degrees here by the beach and we turn on our gas heater for the small creatures (2 legged, 4 legged, finned and scaled) and it can get pretty dry. Then of course there is my newbie paranoia based on stories of ukes developing cracks and I'm just trying to be a caustious and protect my toys.

No, I have never had that problem. Maybe you don't have enough gel beads in there. The water should completely be absorbed by the beads in a couple of minutes. Sometimes, if you overfill the container, you loose some of the gel beads, and if that happens enough times, you may not have enough left to do the job. You can get replacement gel beads.

–Lori

I think your right Lori looked in the humidifier and didn't see very many beads, thanks

Thanks for all your responses. Newportlocal, relative humidity in San Diego is usually in the 60's which is very good but we do suffer occasionally from Santa Ana winds which drop the RH below 10% and some are due here by the end of the week. Additionally, during the winter it can drop below 50 degrees here by the beach and we turn on our gas heater for the small creatures (2 legged, 4 legged, finned and scaled) and it can get pretty dry. Then of course there is my newbie paranoia based on stories of ukes developing cracks and I'm just trying to be a caustious and protect my toys.

I know San Diego well. We get Santa Ana winds too. I have spent lots and lots of time at the fishing landings down there. Along with old town,seaport village,gas lamp district,etc. Occasionally, I use my gas heater too. I understand the paranoia, but I am not going to humidify my new custom. I do understand your feelings of caution. There are certainly two schools of thought. I respect either way.

I think your right Lori looked in the humidifier and didn't see very many beads, thanks
Here is a link to the Oasis refill. http://oasishumidifiers.com/crystals.html
You might be able to find the gel beads at a florist. You don't need very many to do the job. The refill kit has a very tiny measuring spoon.

I have never regretted taking good care of my ukes. I have one wall hanger mini uke that hangs on my wall. It didn't take long before I found cracks in the koa wood and in the finish. So glad it wasn't one of my players.

–Lori

Top Bottom