Updates on Jake...

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
1) He has a new CD out now called "Grand Ukulele
worked on it with the legendary Alan Parsons..Beatles, "Abby Road"
and Pink Floyd, "Dark Side of the Moon".
Grand Ukulele comes with no overdubbing, as all recording are
featured Live,including accompliment from a 29 piece orchestra.

2)Kelly and Jake have a new addition to their family nine weeks ago
a baby boy named "Chase".

3)Before leaving on tour, Jake showcased his first full feature
documentary ...Jake Shimabukuro "Life on Four Strings" produced
by the Center for Asian Amercian Media, which premiered at the
Hawaii International Film festival....
The documentary reveals Jake's emergence from small stage success
in Hawaii to international reconigation...

Last edited:
Mahalo, Stan, for the updates! Jake's been busy, and now he's in California!

1) He has a new CD out now called "Grand Ukulele
worked on it with the legendary Alan Parsons..Beatles, "Abby Road"
and Pink Floyd, "Dark Side of the Moon".
Grand Ukulele comes with no overdubbing, as all recording are
featured Live,including accompliment from a 29 piece orchestra.

A friend of mine preordered Grand Ukulele from amazon.com for my birthday back in July, and I've had to refrain from buying it myself while I wait for her to give me the one she bought. I've heard good things about the CD. By the way, Alan Parsons also had a band called The Alan Parsons Project that had a number of hits (including Time, Eye In The Sky, Don't Answer Me) . My favorite of theirs, though, is a song from the band's first album, Tales of Mystery and Imagination, which was based on the work of Edgar Allan Poe. The song is To One In Paradise. The eerie background vocals are from a boys choir. For what it's worth, the song was one of the inspirations for the novel I'm writing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1FD14hhjb0

2)Kelly and Jake have a new addition to their family nine weeks ago
a baby boy named "Chase".

Pics here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?70936-Jake-and-Kelly-Shimabukuro-s-new-baby

3)Before leaving on tour, Jake showcased his first full feature
documentary ...Jake Shimabukuro "Life on Four Strings" produced
by the Center for Asian Amercian Media, which premiered at the
Hawaii International Film festival....
The documentary reveals Jake's emergence from small stage success
in Hawaii to international reconigation...

I was at the premiere, which was at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco. At the time, we were told that the film, which runs just under an hour, was going to be aired this fall on PBS. Here's a link to a video of Jake, Bruce, and their mom performing at the premiere after the film was shown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDfM-ZvHlck

I'm not keen on Jake's new haircut.

Me too. Looking forward to seeing him again. There may be a chance for him to put his hands on the uke I'm giving away. We'll see.

Nice that would be sweet for that uke as well!

I'm seeing Jake Tomorrow!...

Let us know how it was. Seeing him here in New England in November.

I've got mixed feelings about the new album so far. I very much prefer Jake playing unaccompanied and hearing him live. But there are some songs I've come to rely on when I'm having a hard time sleeping. Put on Fields of Gold or Akaka Falls at bedtime and I'm out like a light. Really beautiful and mellow performances.

Random and semi-off topic... as much as I like Alan Parsons and his work, unfortunately when he's mentioned, I always think of Dr. Evil's quote, "The key to this project is the giant laser, which was invented by the noted Cambridge physicist, Dr. Parsons. So therefore, it is fitting to call it: The Alan Parsons Project."

I bought Grand Ukulele about 10 days ago, after hearing it playing in the Kauai Museum in Lihue. They were selling it in the gift shop. I love it (don't die of shock Pootsie, I do actually like Jake).

Guys, I've obviously seen Jakes video's on YouTube - but I don't actually listen to any uke artists! This needs to be rectified. What is the best Jake album to buy on iTunes? Also - I'd like to get an Aldrine album too - cos he's a great player, but also seems such a cool guy! Suggestions please!!

Let us know how it was. Seeing him here in New England in November.

I've got mixed feelings about the new album so far. I very much prefer Jake playing unaccompanied and hearing him live. mellow performances.

I like the added Orchestra accompiament and also, thought the songs performed Live might not sound as full. But, after listening to my favorite song, "GentleMandolin" on YouTube performed live, It sounded just as good and even better!

I just hope I can meet Jake again! My wife has to work early the next morning so, we might not get a chance to get a picture with Jake again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom